• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023-24 Men's Basketball Season - General

Started by wh, June 12, 2023, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephtheria47

I don't believe we get Powell back if we were still in the HL. We may have stunk so far, but the  MVC still carries serious cache. It took a minute but we finally invested in ourselves with the coaching change. Now hope it pays off in attendance and Ws.

wh

vok22

Does anybody know who is playing in this riverside competition?

VULB#62

80 teams that are all listed in the link WH posted.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Holy whatever!  This is really snowballing.  :thumbsup:

wh

I expect the coaching staff will be following 2024 verbal commit Justus McNair closely at Riverside. Plus, we still have four 2024 scholarships to fill. A great opportunity to scout Chicago Metro talent together in 1 place.

vu72

Quote from: wh on June 17, 2023, 09:41:14 AM
I expect the coaching staff will be following 2024 verbal commit Justus McNair closely at Riverside. Plus, we still have four 2024 scholarships to fill. A great opportunity to scout Chicago Metro talent together in 1 place.

Not sure that is correct.  If everybody comes back I think we don't have any (with the one given to McNair)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Yeah, according to Paul's roster spread sheet, Barrett and Palm have a 5th year they can exercise. If they don't, and everyone else stays, that'll free up only two scollies.

wh

VULB#62

The roster dynamics the next two seasons will be interesting to follow (to say the least).

There will be a settling-in period this summer and fall as the positions and depth are sorted out going into November. Then there is the shake out over the course of the regular season as the rotation is stablized via actual game performance going into Arch Madness. After that, will some of the  current 12 look for greener pastures either because they felt underused or that they realize they are in a bit over their heads? Probably.  In the meantime, Roger has to find ways to continually improve the incoming talent level going into 24-25 while still working with the guys he has. That's gonna be crazy.

Man, the college BB world has so changed from the Drew era — and that was only a short 7 years ago.

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 17, 2023, 11:32:06 AM
The roster dynamics the next two seasons will be interesting to follow (to say the least).

There will be a settling-in period this summer and fall as the positions and depth are sorted out going into November. Then there is the shake out over the course of the regular season as the rotation is stablized via actual game performance going into Arch Madness. After that, will some of the  current 12 look for greener pastures either because they felt underused or that they realize they are in a bit over their heads? Probably.  In the meantime, Roger has to find ways to continually improve the incoming talent level going into 24-25 while still working with the guys he has. That's gonna be crazy.

Man, the college BB world has so changed from the Drew era — and that was only a short 7 years ago.

It's about transfer portal policies and dying expectations that a D1 "student-athlete" (snarky quotes) is at a school for the four-year full ride, even if it means riding the bench for a couple of seasons. The siren call of the NBA is a big part of the problem, too. These kids see only the handful of successes and forget the many 1st round picks who barely last their first contract (if that), the countless 2nd round picks who are lucky to get a cup of coffee (if at all), and the multitude of undrafted guys who are lucky to snag a D League spot.

The dynamic seems to be spreading beyond basketball and football. I talked to friends yesterday whose grandson is a very talented pitcher, and it sounds like getting playing time on a top D1 baseball program can be a mix of musical chairs and Hunger Games.

Wonder if my state's former governor (Charlie Baker) will address this. (I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.)

wh

Imagine that, cheating at Poker. I'm glad it wasn't Paul or Todd.  ;)

Pro poker player faces cheating allegations, subject of heated moment at tournament

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pro-poker-player-faces-cheating-allegations-subject-heated-moment-tournament

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on June 15, 2023, 05:20:36 PM
One important thing that I have not heard mentioned is that this is Roger Powell's first head coaching job.  Granted, he has had great experience in assisting some quality head coaches but nevertheless this his first rodeo. There will be a learning curve for the new players AND the new Coach.

Good point. Anyone who becomes the "final authority" for their first time can certainly attest to this. Fortunately, Roger learned under excellent coaches for the past decade, so I wouldn't expect a lot of flat-out coaching mistakes as much as occasional in-the-moment errors in judgement. Specifically, I'm thinking recognition of when to use timeouts, substitution patterns, matchup adjustments, things like that.

Stressful? Yes, yet incredibly exhilarating at the same time. Mastering huge challenges can be an amazing high for certain people. I think Roger was made for this moment. He's going to love it, and we're going to love him. IMHO.

VULB#62

Alec is back.   Man, Roger is pulling out all the stops.

https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1678553499418742784?s=20

valpotx

Now that's pretty cool.  If we can get a lot of our current/former pros to stop by, it can really amp up the team and program
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Official release on Scroggins, 6'9", is out. 

Jeez, another big, athletic kid who can run the court and leap and score within his wheelhouse. Can't help feeling that the ARC will be rocking for every game. Wins will be great. Even losses will be entertaining. Speed and effort will be the constant. What's not to love about that?

I was alway cautiously optimistic (but thought.... wait and see) at this point in the last 6 or so seasons post-Alec, but I can't help being more excited than before.  Don't exactly know why.  Perhaps it's the energy vibrating out of the basketball office. Or it could be something in the air. 

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 13, 2023, 11:01:08 PM

Jeez, another big, athletic kid who can run the court and leap and score within his wheelhouse. Can't help feeling that the ARC will be rocking for every game. Wins will be great. Even losses will be entertaining. Speed and effort will be the constant. What's not to love about that?

I was alway cautiously optimistic (but thought.... wait and see) at this point in the last 6 or so seasons post-Alec, but I can't help being more excited than before.  Don't exactly know why.  Perhaps it's the energy vibrating out of the basketball office. Or it could be something in the air. 

I'm right there with you. By the time Roger got here and got his staff together, I assumed it was way too late in the recruiting cycle to sign any quality 2023 freshmen or JC players. Shocked is a pretty strong word, but let's just say I'm far more than a little surprised.

78crusader

Do we have anyone who can shoot the 3? Or consistently break a press?

Paul

justducky

Quote from: 78crusader on July 14, 2023, 08:27:40 AM

Paul

There you go again, insisting on snapping us back into reality!  :(

wh

Quote from: 78crusader on July 14, 2023, 08:27:40 AM
Paul

I'm going to take a wild guess, totally unsupported by anything other than a brand new coaching staff and a brand new roster, and say we are going to finish better than last season (in-conference) in the following categories:

Points allowed 11th
Scoring margin 11th
Rebounding margin 9th
3-pt FG% 12th
Asst/TO ratio 11th
Offensive rebounds 9th
Attendance 12th
TO's 3rd (highest)
Conf record 10th

Game lows among MVC teams:
FT's attempted 0 vs. SDakota St.
FT's made 0 vs. S. Dakota St.
Blocked shots 0 vs. Evansville
Steals 1 vs. IN state

Moral of the story: It's not going to get worse before it gets better.

vok22

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 13, 2023, 11:01:08 PM

I am not expecting the ARC to be packed every game, but I am expecting a notable increase in attendance. Even if the team gets only marginally better, the marketing and community engagement since Powell was hired has been the more engaging than I ever remember, at least since the Drew days. The new hire of a highly touted coach will already bring back most of the season ticket holders that we lost in recent years, but the community engagement events they have been hosting (such as at zoo island) as combined with an increase in press coverage should bring more region families out for a game or two throughout the season. If we surprise and win some games to go along with that, it'll only compound the engagement efforts.

As for the on court product, I have no idea. I am oddly confident by that the time Powell has a couple of years to recruit, we will be watching some of the best basketball Valpo has ever played. I truly believe we will have the best recruiting classes we've ever had, and that Powell and his assistants will show that they know how to manage games and win big ones. The ARC will be busy again. This year though? We might be the youngest team in the country, and on top of that no experience together. I think Powell will be able to pull them together, and the team will buy into what he's saying. That being said, plenty of mistakes will be made on the court due to the inexperience, and freshman are usually just smaller and less physically dominant than upperclassmen. I think we'll be outmatched in experience and physical strength at first, and I am not so sure that we have a go to scorer (one might emerge by the end of the year, but it will take some time to grow into those roles). But I don't think we'll ever be out hustled or outsmarted by the opposing coaching staff. In fact, I think our coaching will singlehandedly win us a few extra games. I think a .500 year would be a great success.

JD24

Quote from: wh on July 14, 2023, 10:37:09 AM
Quote from: 78crusader on July 14, 2023, 08:27:40 AMDo we have anyone who can shoot the 3? Or consistently break a press? Paul
I'm going to take a wild guess, totally unsupported by anything other than a brand new coaching staff and a brand new roster, and say we are going to finish better than last season (in-conference) in the following categories: Points allowed 11th Scoring margin 11th Rebounding margin 9th 3-pt FG% 12th Asst/TO ratio 11th Offensive rebounds 9th Attendance 12th TO's 3rd (highest) Conf record 10th Game lows among MVC teams: FT's attempted 0 vs. SDakota St. FT's made 0 vs. S. Dakota St. Blocked shots 0 vs. Evansville Steals 1 vs. IN state Moral of the story: It's not going to get worse before it gets better.
With only highlights available to see virtually all of these guys except the returners who we may not want to see much of anyway, it really is a "who knows" situation. If a couple of guys can shoot the 3 maybe it makes a guy like DeAveiro a better player.

Overall though, it's a young team and seems a bit filled with players who require development rather than jumping into the fire guys....and it will likely end up with guys who may not be ready playing and possibly a lot.  I don't know the makeup of the rest of the conference's rosters but it is possible that there's a step back prior to moving forward.