• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023-24 Men's Basketball Season - General

Started by wh, June 12, 2023, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Granted it is very early in the post-recruitment/signing segment of this team's development, but I wonder if PO has attended any of the summer workouts and can comment on stuff like:

Any differences in coaching approach/style from the previous staff — i.e., the "whats" that are being worked on.

Any differences in coaching approach/style from the previous staff — i.e., the "hows" that the staff uses in teaching the "whats."

Any stand-out players so far who might be capable of breaking the press or hitting 3s like 78 was asking.

valpopal

Quote from: vok22 on July 14, 2023, 11:08:47 AM
As for the on court product, I have no idea. I am oddly confident by that the time Powell has a couple of years to recruit, we will be watching some of the best basketball Valpo has ever played. I truly believe we will have the best recruiting classes we've ever had, and that Powell and his assistants will show that they know how to manage games and win big ones. The ARC will be busy again. This year though? We might be the youngest team in the country, and on top of that no experience together. I think Powell will be able to pull them together, and the team will buy into what he's saying. That being said, plenty of mistakes will be made on the court due to the inexperience, and freshman are usually just smaller and less physically dominant than upperclassmen. I think we'll be outmatched in experience and physical strength at first, and I am not so sure that we have a go to scorer (one might emerge by the end of the year, but it will take some time to grow into those roles). But I don't think we'll ever be out hustled or outsmarted by the opposing coaching staff. In fact, I think our coaching will singlehandedly win us a few extra games. I think a .500 year would be a great success.
I think 22's assessment is accurate. For that reason, I was hoping (and it is still possible) that the last scholarship spot will go to a fifth-year senior or grad transfer who can bring experience and leadership, maybe even be a go-to scorer— a Krikke-type individual. Otherwise, with all the youth and inexperience, I would not be surprised to see Valpo picked 12th in preseason polls.

historyman

Quote from: vok22 on July 14, 2023, 11:08:47 AMbut the community engagement events they have been hosting (such as at zoo island) as combined with an increase in press coverage should bring more region families out for a game or two throughout the season.

I agree with your statement.

When did Valpo get a Zoo?  :-)

https://zaoisland.net/
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

For what it is worth, Valpo has been picked to finish last in the MVC for the coming year in some early polls.  I believe we will surprise alot of people.

usc4valpo

Patience is required with the new staff, but not overly patient which has been a bad characteristic of Valpo athletics. It looks like they are moving in the right direction which is great to see!

crusadermoe

Sounds like a lot of excitement in NWI.  Nice to see Peters coming by.  When was he drafted by Phoenix?  2nd round?   Can't recall.

David81

Quote from: valpo64 on July 15, 2023, 08:20:31 AM
For what it is worth, Valpo has been picked to finish last in the MVC for the coming year in some early polls.  I believe we will surprise alot of people.

Here's to being underrated!

I believe in the ability of this coaching staff to recruit the right kind of players and to grow the ones who come to VU. I would not be surprised to see the starting five and the overall rotation change a lot from Day 1 to Arch Madness. Wouldn't it be great to see this team peak during the conference tourney?!

wh

Does this upcoming season mark the end of 5th year eligibility? I hope so. As someone else mentioned, 5th year players are 23-24 year old men with 120 games under their belt. Career scoring records have been bastardized. 5th year players are being recognized for career achievements they never would have earned under normal circumstances and bumping 4-year players off of career scoring lists. They're taking up roster spots and hogging scholarships that otherwise would be going to younger players. Even Ben, yeah it's great he's getting an opportunity to play for a power-5 program, but it's not going to change his prospects for the future, just delay the inevitable. Thanks NCAA for a panicked, knee-jerk response made in advance of something that never materialized - the cancellation of a season.

tjjvalpo

I believe there is one more year. That is why Connor Barrett and Jerome Palm may stick around next year. As a result, unless they forego their 5th year, we have no scholarships available. Of course, someone is likely to transfer.

wh

Quote from: tjjvalpo on July 16, 2023, 01:14:59 PM
I believe there is one more year. That is why Connor Barrett and Jerome Palm may stick around next year. As a result, unless they forego their 5th year, we have no scholarships available. Of course, someone is likely to transfer.

I did some follow-up reading. Connor and Jerome are in the last group eligible for the extra COVID year. Also, there is no automatic scholarship renewal guarantee, so they could be forced to hit the portal.

I'm surprised in a way that Jerome decided to return. Matt should have given a lot more court time, especially after it became obvious we were destined for another bottom rung finish.

VULB#62

I don't see Roger "running off " either of them. In fact, believing in Roger's integrity, he will feel obligated particularly to those two and give them the decision to stay/xfer/just move on in life. 

Regarding Jerome, I never saw him play, but it is my understanding that he had the body and raw tools to compete. But for some reason Matt  (perhaps it was his "system" whatever that was) didn't feel he fit in. Now's a new system. He could be a killer. Who knows?

AB

Another example of finding a good player in Jerome, but not getting him to fit in his system, or the wrong fit for his system. Dude gave good effort/energy. Flashed potential at times, but didn't see the court enough. Let's see if the new system allows him to blossom.

VULB#62

That's a good point. Would Roger have recruited Jerome had he not already been at Valpo?  Who knows, but it seems Roger likes what he sees.

Truth be told, I liked Jerome from day one and wondered why a player like him couldn't be coached/worked into last year's lineup for more minutes.  We'll see.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 16, 2023, 07:57:51 PMI don't see Roger "running off " either of them. In fact, believing in Roger's integrity, he will feel obligated particularly to those two and give them the decision to stay/xfer/just move on in life. 
If either or both of these guys don't show more than they have so far, I don't see Powell would or should keep them around if there are going to be better options available. This would also show other players that they need to produce and not just ride the gravy train so to speak.

valpo64

I have been told that Jerome's problems included both attitude and work ethics.  Let's hope that situation will improve with "Rev" at the helm.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpo64 on July 17, 2023, 09:01:04 AM
I have been told that Jerome's problems included both attitude and work ethics.  Let's hope that situation will improve with "Rev" at the helm.

Just wanted to chime in that I haven't heard or seen any of that. Fact of the matter is the team shifted away from using a traditional big midway through the season last year. Palm has a voice of experience to the younger guys this offseason.

valpo64

My source was a person involved in accessing the program last year.  Enough of that, it is in the past...let's move on.

cornonthe

Quote from: Pgmado on July 17, 2023, 09:59:52 AM
Quote from: valpo64 on July 17, 2023, 09:01:04 AM

Just wanted to chime in that I haven't heard or seen any of that. Fact of the matter is the team shifted away from using a traditional big midway through the season last year. Palm has a voice of experience to the younger guys this offseason.
I want to chime in here as well, this was Ibra Bayu, though, that was a bit overblown, with Palm there was a minor injury that nagged him. When he did come back, for some reason, Lottich didn't use him...earlier in the year, he was drawing 20 to 25 min and he seemed to consistently have 6 to 9 rebounds every game...what a pity. Anyway, he should be great for us!!!

justducky

Quote from: cornonthe on July 17, 2023, 04:18:55 PMwith Palm there was a minor injury that nagged him. When he did come back, for some reason, Lottich didn't use him...earlier in the year, he was drawing 20 to 25 min and he seemed to consistently have 6 to 9 rebounds every game...what a pity. Anyway, he should be great for us!!!

I saw some potential but wasn't anticipating anything approaching great potential. Was he playing with the nagging injury when he was drawing the 20 to 25 minutes per game?

cornonthe

Quote from: justducky on July 17, 2023, 05:35:53 PM
Quote from: cornonthe on July 17, 2023, 04:18:55 PMwith Palm there was a minor injury that nagged him. When he did come back, for some reason, Lottich didn't use him...earlier in the year, he was drawing 20 to 25 min and he seemed to consistently have 6 to 9 rebounds every game...what a pity. Anyway, he should be great for us!!!

I saw some potential but wasn't anticipating anything approaching great potential. Was he playing with the nagging injury when he was drawing the 20 to 25 minutes per game?
I don't believe so...remember, I didn't say star potential, just potential!!!

David81

Very helpful player-by-player roster sum-up by Paul Oren in The Victory Bell.

Wow, talk about a makeover. I hope they're a good bunch of young men who play hard, learn from their mistakes, support each other, and never quit.

justducky

We finally have a 23-24 roster posted on the men's basketball web page but without official height and weight listings yet.  :thumbsup: Includes the 12 scholarship players and Joe Vick as the only walk on!

JD24

Quote from: justducky on July 20, 2023, 08:57:36 AMWe finally have a 23-24 roster posted on the men's basketball web page but without official height and weight listings yet.  :thumbsup: Includes the 12 scholarship players and Joe Vick as the only walk on!
I guess walk ons could show up once the semester begins?

jtm

This is going to take some time to get used to.

wh

Interviews with MVC coaches today, including an inspiring/informative Q&A with our own Coach Roger Powell.

https://mvc-sports.com/news/2023/7/25/mvc-mens-basketball-coaches-teleconference-july-25-2023.aspx