• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023-24 Men's Basketball Season - General

Started by wh, June 12, 2023, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

The craziest environment in college sports. So loud at times it registers on the area seismograph. I'll gladly settle for the rock'in ARC equivalent once again. ;)  '23-24?

https://twitter.com/LSUfootball/status/1686136382274609152?s=20

VULB#62

valporun

Is it possible that Roger sees a little bit of untapped Vashil Fernandez in Jerome Palm? Maybe we get a massive rebounder/shot blocker in Palm in 23-24?

wh

crusader05

It definitely looks much cleaner and less neglected than the old color.

wh

Quote from: wh on August 08, 2023, 07:06:10 PM
No more dingy yellow glow in the ARC takes some getting used to.

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1687931300609429504?s=20

The mini scoreboard above Connor's head is new, correct? (Have to click to enlarge pic to see what I'm referring to.)

crusader05

Yes they got new scoreboards, a new center video board and new shot clocks plus the painting of the walls, and new lights.

Chairback

I'm interested to see how Connor does with a new coach and a new system.  Connor has always been the one who gave that extra effort and tried to make the hustle plays.  He has that "gritty" style of play coach Powell talks about wanting.  If heathy, he could really have a great year.   I'm rooting for him. 

valpotx

Agreed, much respect to Connor and Darius for staying and seeing what happens.  Same to Palm, though not sure he had as much of a transfer choice.  I hope that he becomes the dominant defensive presence he has shown in spurts, and add 4-6 ppg.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

According to MVCFans, it appears that every poll on earth is picking Valpo to be w...a...y last in the MVC in 23-24. Some posters are wishing that they could play VU three times.

I think there may be a few surprises for these "experts."

Size-wise we match up with anyone. Talent?  That's to be determined, but there is another factor:  intangibles. I have faith that Roger can optimize this factor to a very high degree. Under him, our players will play to the wall and through. I also have confidence that in-game coaching decisions will help rather than hinder our performance.

Chairback

None of these polls mean anything,  certainly preseason.  All speculation and no real insight on how any team will do.  It's silly to even read them. 

What I do know, and do not need to speculate, is we have a really good coach.  With a great background and a really really great staff.   One that we have not had in some time.  On top of that an AD that is strong.  Good things are going to happen and the program is moving in the right direction.   No poll needed.   

AB

Is the conference as a whole, as good as last year?
We basically have a whole Lot of unknowns until we see them on the court together. Sure it's fun to fantasize, speculate, but we probably deserve to be picked near the bottom or last, with no returning impactful players returning. We would all like to surprise some people this season! Middle of the pack would be good to me, with so many young unproven players

valpopal

Quote from: Chairback on September 22, 2023, 04:48:28 PM
None of these polls mean anything,  certainly preseason.  All speculation and no real insight on how any team will do.  It's silly to even read them. 
The preseason polls are usually fairly good predictors indicating which teams will be more difficult opponents. More than "speculation" with "no real insight," and rather than "silly," they are often reliable and cut through fans' preseason wishfulness with a dose of reality. Last year, the MVC Preseason Poll predicted the following order: 1) Drake, 2)Bradley, 3)SIU, 4) MoSt, 5) N Iowa, 6) Belmont, 7) InSU, 8) Murray St, 9)Valpo, 10) IlSU, 11) UIC, 12) Evansville. The final season results: 1) Bradley, 2) Drake, 3) SIU, 4) Belmont, 5) InSU, 6) MoSt, 7) Murray St, 8) N Iowa, 9) IlSt, 10)Valpo, 11) UIC, 12) Evansville.

The poll was pretty accurate between predicted position and finish. Drake even beat Bradley in the tournament final. Most importantly, the poll predicted seven of the eight Thursday teams! Of course, everyone hopes that Valpo will surprise us and climb higher than predicted, especially if they are forecast to be in the basement at dead last as some suggest.

JD24

We know next to nothing about how this team will perform when the season starts. We don't even know if Powell's enthusiastic personality will produce results on the court - we don't know if he'll be a good coach. I'd bet that he will but we don't know that. The roster is full of nearly complete unknowns and the knowns don't exactly produce positive thoughts other than "I hope he gets better in a different environment". There doesn't appear to be an alpha dog who'll take over the team out of the new guys. Hopefully one or two step up. But again, it's all hope at this point.

There's actually no reason Valpo shouldn't be picked last or next to.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on September 22, 2023, 11:17:55 PM
We know next to nothing about how this team will perform when the season starts. We don't even know if Powell's enthusiastic personality will produce results on the court - we don't know if he'll be a good coach. I'd bet that he will but we don't know that. The roster is full of nearly complete unknowns and the knowns don't exactly produce positive thoughts other than "I hope he gets better in a different environment". There doesn't appear to be an alpha dog who'll take over the team out of the new guys. Hopefully one or two step up. But again, it's all hope at this point.

There's actually no reason Valpo shouldn't be picked last or next to.

All valid points, 24. At very best, we should just enter the OOC portion of our schedule totally open minded, without expectations, reserve any judgment, and, hopefully, enjoy some basketball. Once those games are under our belt, at that point we'll have only a bit of a handle on where this team fits within the MVC.  I hope our fans stay positive and give Roger and the players plenty of room to gel.

usc4valpo

I would not lose sleep over this preseason ranking. With the transfer protocol and other circumstances, who knows what Valpo will do this season.

We are going to be patient and think holistically/big picture regarding progress, but not overly patient which is typical for Valpo leadership.

tiny707

I'd be happy with a 9th place finish. Improvement over last year and higher than anyone is picking us. A victory over the Fighting Illini would help too...

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 23, 2023, 08:09:45 AMwe should just enter the OOC portion of our schedule totally open minded, without expectations, reserve any judgment, and, hopefully, enjoy some basketball. Once those games are under our belt, at that point we'll have only a bit of a handle on where this team fits within the MVC. 

I am fully prepared to relax and enjoy some ugly OOC basketball. Projects always require the investment of time and we are just now getting started. Coach Powell holding that open scholarship might give us something positive to talk about while we are taking some early season lumps.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on September 23, 2023, 09:55:53 AM
I'd be happy with a 9th place finish. Improvement over last year and higher than anyone is picking us. A victory over the Fighting Illini would help too...

No way we beat Illinois with a bunch of new players that won't have jelled together as a team yet. I think the 9th place finish in the MVC is realistic but I truly hope for the program's sake that MBB finishes a lot higher.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Quote from: tiny707 on September 23, 2023, 09:55:53 AM
I'd be happy with a 9th place finish....
Chalk this up as one of the things I never thought I'd hear said about the VU basketball program.  :(

tiny707

We finished in 10th place last year, everyone picking us for 12th place. 9th place is realistic with this young roster and unfortunately would be higher than last years place and higher than the critics predictions. Crawl, walk, run..

valpopal

Quote from: tiny707 on September 24, 2023, 10:41:31 AM
We finished in 10th place last year, everyone picking us for 12th place. 9th place is realistic with this young roster and unfortunately would be higher than last years place and higher than the critics predictions. Crawl, walk, run..
True, and "unfortunately" in this statement is better than "happy" as a modifier in the previous one.  ;)

tiny707

Yeah, "happy" not best choice of word for a 9th place finish. I guess I would be ok with 9th in first year as long as we keep moving up from there.