• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Nae Qwan Tomlin

Started by tiny707, December 07, 2023, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Nae graduates this month and is available next semester. I say we go after him. Coach Powell knows Coach Tang. Give the guy a chance....

VULB#62

Had to Google him. 6-10. Kansas State. Suspended for issues. Baggage.  For one semester? Does he fit Roger's target player profile - no. Could he help us to a couple more wins - maybe. Could he disrupt the chemistry that is being built - maybe.  Is the gamble worth it?  No.

tiny707

There has never been this high profile player available mid season..

VULB#62

Understand. But is he worth it for 2 moths to sell our soul?

tiny707

Would have to do our due diligence...sounds like he could use The Rev in his life right now.

JD24

Quote from: tiny707 on December 07, 2023, 09:02:34 PMThere has never been this high profile player available mid season..
Can't imagine why that would be!

NativeCheesehead

Is this really worthy of a whole thread? 

VULB#62

Quote from: tiny707 on December 07, 2023, 09:13:52 PM
Would have to do our due diligence...sounds like he could use The Rev in his life right now.

That last point, Tiny, got me.  Oh well.

tiny707

Projected 30th pick in NBA draft.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on December 08, 2023, 05:43:18 AM
Projected 30th pick in NBA draft.

As long as the Rev doesn't let him come in and say "I will dominate the Missouri Valley" shades of Mo Kone. Nobody accomplishes anything in MBB without help from their teammates. It's one thing to be recruited and believe you belong in a higher conference (possibly one of the soon to be $30,000 minimum conferences) and playing as a cog in a wheel of a team rebuilding. Those lessons are usually learned over 1 to 2 years and very difficult to learn in the era of multiple transfer possibilities. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

justducky

I have no problems with us using that last scholarship if we could pick up a proper fit, high impact player. I think the Rev would be as selective as they come in sorting out the details and their long term benefits or risks to the rebuilding program.

Quote from: historyman on December 08, 2023, 08:40:10 AMAs long as the Rev doesn't let him come in and say "I will dominate the Missouri Valley" shades of Mo Kone.

My memories of Mo Kone dominance are a little thin.  :)

vu84v2

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 07, 2023, 08:09:40 PM
Had to Google him. 6-10. Kansas State. Suspended for issues. Baggage.  For one semester? Does he fit Roger's target player profile - no. Could he help us to a couple more wins - maybe. Could he disrupt the chemistry that is being built - maybe.  Is the gamble worth it?  No.

My view is that Coach Powell is trying to build a system that can be sustainable for the long term. That system is built on being connected with teammates and seeing the value of team. Bringing anyone in for a few months can only be detrimental to that goal.

covufan

Quote from: tiny707 on December 07, 2023, 09:02:34 PM
If I were Tomlin, ready to graduate in a week or so, projected NBA Draft pick, and had come to the conclusion that I had erred enough to warrant my dismissal, I would take the spring semester getting ready for the draft.  Getting my head and body together, working with sports trainers and sports psychologists to better my draft value.  Use that NIL $$

historyman

Quote from: covufan on December 08, 2023, 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on December 07, 2023, 09:02:34 PM
If I were Tomlin, ready to graduate in a week or so, projected NBA Draft pick, and had come to the conclusion that I had erred enough to warrant my dismissal, I would take the spring semester getting ready for the draft.  Getting my head and body together, working with sports trainers and sports psychologists to better my draft value.  Use that NIL $$

That would be the sensible thing to do and probably won't happen.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

tiny707

Heading to Memphis to play for Penny
Hardaway next semester.

vu84v2

There are programs that emphasize connection and team development, And then there are programs like Memphis.