• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #12 Samford at the ARC 12/19 1pm CT

Started by talksalot, December 17, 2023, 06:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

We are 2-2 against the bulldogs historically, last time in the ARC was 21 years ago (December 14, 2002), VU taking it in Double OT 87-79;  In that game, Raitis Grafs scored 28.   Valpo scored 20 points in the second overtime.  Stalin Ortiz had 10, Ali Berdiel and Seth Colclasure each had 6 in the Overtimes.  Stalin hit a layup with 0.1 on the clock at the end of the first OT to tie it.  Valpo wound up 29-37 from the line.  Shooting 71% from the field in the overtimes.  Enough about living in the past...

This is not the same Samford Team. 
They have not won a true-road game this year! 
Bulldogs come in on a 9 game winning streak, after opening with two losses (@Purdue and @VCU).

Their 9-game win streak all at home include wins over Mississippi College 96-52, South Carolina State 89-72, Alabama State 99-67, Merrimack 79-71, North Carolina A&T 101-83, Louisiana 88-65, LaGrange College 128-82, Alabama A&M 118-91.and Belmont 99-93

While Valpo was playing CSU, Samford was hosting Belmont.  Here's their recap of that win:

The Samford men's basketball team earned its ninth-straight win in a thrilling 99-93 win over Belmont Saturday afternoon in the Pete Hanna Center. 

The nine-game win streak marks the longest for Samford since the 1998-99 team won 13-straight contests. Samford improved to 9-2 with the win. Belmont fell to 8-4 with the setback.

Samford had six players score in double figures in the win. A.J. Staton-McCray led the way with 19 points. Riley Allenspach had a career-high 15 points, followed by Achor Achor with 14 points, Rylan Jones with 13 points, Garrett Hicks with 12 points and Nathan Johnson with 11 points. Jermaine Marshall led the team with 12 rebounds.

"This was a good win by our guys," Samford head coach Bucky McMillan said. "We've got a lot of good players, so anyone is capable of going in double figures any night. I'm proud of our guys, we played our way, got up and down, won our way and that's always fun to do."

For Belmont, Cade Tyson led all players with 31 points, to go along with nine rebounds. Ja'Kobi Gillespie scored 18 points for Belmont, while Keishawn Davidson had 13 points and Malik Dia added 11 points.

Belmont jumped out to an early 9-4 lead with 16:31 left in the first half after two free throws by Tyson. Samford answered with an 11-0 run to take a 15-9 lead with 13:18 to go in the half following a jumper by Hicks. Samford extended its lead to 10 points at 24-14 with 9:06 left in the first half following a dunk by Achor.

The Bulldogs led by 12 points at 32-20 with 6:49 left in the half after a three-pointer by Johnson. Belmont scored the next four points to close to within eight points at 32-24 with 5:16 to play in the half after a layup by Brigham Roberts. Samford led by as many as 12 points down the stretch in the first half and the Bulldogs took a 44-36 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Samford opened up a 15-point lead at 51-36 with 18:09 left in the game after a layup by Allenspach. Belmont scored the next five points to close to within 10 points at 51-41 with 17:02 to play. Samford then went on a 12-4 run to push its lead to 63-45 with 14:32 to play following a three-pointer by Johnson. Belmont then went on an 8-0 run to cut the lead back to 10 points at 63-53 with 13:17 left after a three-pointer by Tyson.

The Bulldogs pushed the lead back to 15 points at 81-66 with 6:44 to go after a turnaround jumper by Hicks. Belmont fought back to cut the lead to eight points at 84-76 with 4:34 left after two free throws by Tyson. Samford pushed the lead back out to 12 points at 93-81 with 2:13 left following a layup by Staton-McCray. Belmont then went on a 12-4 run to cut the lead to four points at 97-93 with 11 seconds left after a three-pointer by Davidson. Two late Samford free throws by Hicks made the final score 99-93.

They are AVERAGING  91.5 Points per game
They have an average Margin of Victory of 14.3 and that includes a 98-45 beatdown by the Boilers... so they are winning big.

Shooting 48.8% from the field, 40% from 3 and 76% from the line.
Rebounding at 38.7/gm, assists 20.9/gm, and averaging 21.5 Points of Turnovers/gm
They have 11 players averaging over 11 minutes per game.

Weird Roster Cumulative Statistics... They have 18 different players with at least 3 games played for the year.  10 played against Belmont on Saturday.

#14 Achor Achor, 6'9" 227 lb, Jr From Melbourne, Australia,  averaging 14.4/gm is their leading scorer
#5 A.J Staton-McCray, 6'5" Junior from Delray Beach, FL, scored 19, shooting 88% from the line, 45% from the field
#35 Riley Allenspach, 6'11" 247 lb, Freshman from Charlotte, NC scored 15 off the bench
#21 Rylan Jones, 6'1" Graduate transfer from Utah State, scored 13.  Leads the team in minutes/game at 22.3 with an Assist/TO ratio of 51/17 that's easy to understand!

Another Starter,#12  Dallas Graziani, 5'8" Sophomore from Pembroke Pines, FL. with an Assist/TO ratio of 35/16

Another Starter #4 Germaine Marshall 6'6 225lb Senior, grabbed 12 rebounds against Belmont

And off the bench, they have Baylor transfer, 7'0" 240lb Sr #32 Zach Loveday... he did not play against Belmont

These guys are a scoring machine.  Hoping our defense can stifle whomever they have to guard.

usc4valpo

Samford and Son 74
Valpo 63 (less if Rollo plays PG)

tiny707

AB

Thought we just played Samford in the ARC in 2017 or 2018. Joe Burton had a big game, a big three towards later part of the second half.

VULB#62

Quote from: AB on December 17, 2023, 11:15:29 PM
Thought we just played Samford in the ARC in 2017 or 2018. Joe Burton had a big game, a big three towards later part of the second half.

'17 as part of The Savannah Invitational.  Beat them 88-67.  Unclear from the All-Time Scores whether it was at the ARC or in Savannah. But the game is listed as one of our two unbracketed games, so probably at Valpo.

valpopal

JD24

My guess is that the rest of the way, the only way Valpo beats a decent team is if Stafford has a big shooting night. He apparently is the greenlight guy and thus will either shoot the team in or out of games and he's not good enough to shoot it well consistently.

For Samford, the odds are that he doesn't and Valpo goes down.

12-15 point differential.

covufan

This should be a good test of our VO2 Max, as Samford is number three in pace of play or possessions according to KenPom.  I think 9 is enough for their winning streak.  About time we play a good game on both offense and defense.  If we go 10 deep again, I'd like to see some defensive intensity with those coming off the bench.  Set the tone.

Valpo 79
Samford 77

valpotx

This is a tough one to gauge, as they beat a solid Belmont team, but the rest of their wins are against similar crap teams as to those that we have beaten this season.  I give a slight edge to Samford, but hope that we can somehow pull this one out:

Samford 73
Valpo 68
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Just realized that this game is tomorrow and that I should be able to attend.  :o  Heck, I haven't even found the time yet to watch the Chicago St loss. ;)

crusadermoe

Fred and Lamont Samford     81
Valpo                                  66

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on December 17, 2023, 06:09:57 PMWhile Valpo was playing CSU, Samford was hosting Belmont.  Here's their recap of that win:

The Samford men's basketball team earned its ninth-straight win in a thrilling 99-93 win over Belmont Saturday afternoon in the Pete Hanna Center.

The nine-game win streak marks the longest for Samford since the 1998-99 team won 13-straight contests. Samford improved to 9-2 with the win. Belmont fell to 8-4 with the setback.

Just contested enough on a Tuesday afternoon with us working group at work to be another close loss.

Samford & Pun  72
Valpo streaking dark Beacons  69
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VALPO LI

History my man I'm gonna say it will be a close one and Valpo pulls a 3 point win out of nowhere  :thumbsup:
-Why not!
Let's see how this new team/coaching staff responds after letting the Cougar game get away from them.
Shine on Vu

historyman

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 19, 2023, 04:49:55 AM
History my man I'm gonna say it will be a close one and Valpo pulls a 3 point win out of nowhere  :thumbsup:
-Why not!
Let's see how this new team/coaching staff responds after letting the Cougar game get away from them.

I do believe the coaching staff is trying to get it through to this Valpo team how to pull out late game wins but it hasn't gotten through to them yet. It does take a maturity, a maturity that players like Alec Peters, Rowdy Broekhoff, Bryce Drew, etc. had from the beginning of their college careers that this Valpo team doesn't have as of yet.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

truth219

I think it's time for Palm to exist the starting line up. His minutes are diminishing and we're struggling to get going out of the gate. I feel we should start with our best foot forward and he isn't wearing the shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: truth219 on December 19, 2023, 09:04:33 AM
I think it's time for Palm to exist the starting line up. His minutes are diminishing and we're struggling to get going out of the gate. I feel we should start with our best foot forward and he isn't wearing the shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are trying to show

the Palm exit.

Bumbo

Samford full court presses the entire game and created a bunch of early turnovers vs Belmont. But Belmont figured out the press in the last 10 minutes. Also Belmont went to a zone d ti slow the game down. Darius will have his hands full and Coach will likely need to play him and Jahari together a lot. We need a big game at both ends from Cooper and our other bigs. We need to beat the press to score to win this one.

justducky

Quote from: historyman on December 19, 2023, 10:24:56 AMthe Palm exit.

Jerome played his way to the end of the bench under Lottich and he appears to be doing the same thing under Powell. Lets at least give him an A for consistency.

VUSWIM08-12

We're gonna get owned! Please let me eat my words in 150 minutes.
Sam 84
Po 71

VUSWIM08-12

The Palm exit is happening lol, Sepp with the start !!

VUSWIM08-12

Decent start ! Up 5-0 with 15:56 to go ! Sepp is smart . Doesn't look to score , making heady plays with this full court press !!

NativeCheesehead

So tired of watching off balance jump shot after off balance jump shot. Get to the flippin basket!

VUSWIM08-12

Get Weatherspoon out of the fking game ! Bad shot after shot , he needs to learn how to play team basketball , just bad!!

mj

We're not gonna win if we shoot 13% from 3. Just missing wide open looks. Ugh.
I believe that we will win.

crusadermoe

Seems like a game just crying out to played on weekday afternoon TV.