• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #19, MVC #8, UIC at the ARC 3pm Saturday 1/20 - the Dunking Continues

Started by talksalot, January 19, 2024, 09:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Last season our veteran team finished 5-15 in Valley regular season play. Now at 2-6 we have paths to equal that with almost nothing in senior contributions.

Quote from: Chairback on January 20, 2024, 06:07:37 PMOla was active and aggressive.   He was the difference in the game.

I still do not have a good take on how much improvement Edwards and Ajiboye can bring to the remainder of this and more importantly all of the future 24-25 and 25-26 seasons. They will both get better but how much better? Will their upside potentials significantly affect how Roger Powell recruits during the offseason? I would love to hear what all of you think about this.

valpopal

There is no doubt that the atmosphere and energy of the team, led by Coach Powell and exhibited here in the locker room, has changed dramatically. This level of celebrating might be infrequent now, and it will take time plus a steady diet of winning to fully transfer that atmosphere to the stands or elevate attendance above last night's 1400; however, if anyone can do it, Powell is the guy.

[tweet]1748877105549471834[/tweet]

Bumbo

This was Ajiboye's first time here at Valpo getting major minutes in a key stretch of a key ball game. He did fumble a couple of post entry passes and missed some layups and he is a bit under sized but it is tough to judge right now based on an initial 8 minute stretch whether or not he's a keeper long term. Culture wise he seems to be a great fit. Edwards is athletic and as long as he guards and rebounds and establishes consistency in those two areas also should be a keeper as a role guy. Areas of recruiting focus on my view are at least two more athletic wings who can create more consistently than we are currently getting from Stafford, a knock down three point shooter off the bench who teams need to cheat to the open the paint up and a young backup PG of the future that can help drop Darius' minutes into 30 plus or minus vs 34+ he has been playing in MVC games. And one more solid 5 who is like 6'10" and protect the rim would be a nice to have

valpopal

The Sunday NWI Times had a brief AP article five sentences long topped by a file photo of Schwieger and a headline of "Valparaiso Defeats UIC" six pages deep into its sports section. This may seem minimal, but usually there isn't even a story, and it is a start to resumption of recognition by local media. Winning can do that. 

vu84v2

It's a process that takes time, but I do believe Coach Powell has started the right process (regarding getting to the right culture and talent).

Good win!

tiny707

Agree Bumbo. I think Lucas, Lual and Justus McNair will fill some of those roles next year.

AB

They will have to play flawless to win at Carbondale, but hopefully they can keep the game close no worse than a 10 point loss. MO State comes to town Saturday and Stick a fork in Dana Ford with the AD's vote of no confidence last week.  Would love to see attendance crack 2,000 against Donovan Clay. Again as many have pointed out, continued winning will solve the lack of attendance. No reason to think they can't split their next four games.

tiny707

Yeah, 10 point loss to SIU away would be respectable at this point.

valpotx

I said at the beginning of the season, that Ola needed to put on some muscle, similar to Jubril's transformation over his Valpo career.  You can tell, based on the presser, that Ola has been hitting the gym and is well on the way to doing so!
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Amazing that in a game in which Darius and Isaiah were a combined 7-26 shooting, we scored 84 points and won the game going away. Hats off to our bigs Cooper and Ola, who shot a combined 9-16 from the field, a perfect 15-15 from the line, and had a combined 16 rebounds.

David81

If anyone has any doubts that Roger Powell is the right guy, then watch the post-game that wh posted.

Sooooo many impressive things about what he said and how he talked about his players.

He uses these post-games to message to us and to his players. The remarks about practicing free throw shooting? Awesome. He's using that moment not only to tell the fans that these kids have been encouraged to work on their FT games, but also to remind the three young men at the table with him about how that extra work is paying off.

His remarks about admitting his mistakes? That's for us and for them as well. It's about learning from mistakes and moving on.

Brilliant, exceptional coaching character.