• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21, MVC #10, Missouri State Saturday 1/26 3pm Blaze birthday

Started by talksalot, January 26, 2024, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

We need a win. 

That's my indepth analysis on a late Friday night.

MoSt coming off an unlikely win at home against Drake.  I hope they celebrated... a lot.

Ol whatshisname coming back to the arc for the last time.

talksalot

Correction.  Game 21.  Xan the admin update the topic?  Thx

VULB#62

Tried to correct it, too  Didn't take except for my single post. I think the originator can change the title and icon on the original post.

Beacs 68
Bears 67

...on an open walk off 17' buzzer beater by Jahari.

tiny707

valpotx

Valpo 74
MoSt 69

We treat Donovan Clay respectfully throughout the game, and he chooses to glare at our bench over and over, as he did the last few times.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

This team is improving. MoSt will be ripe for picking after beating Drake. Don't let up for any reason.

Valpo    77
MoSt     71

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talksalot

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 26, 2024, 11:05:12 PMTried to correct it, too  Didn't take except for my single post. I think the originator can change the title and icon on the original post.

got it... it worked... thanks

talksalot

so, here's what we're up against this afternoon...

Not sure what to say about their starting line up... only one player has started all 20 games...Donovan.   They basically have a rotation that goes 6-8, 6-8, 6-9...

Here's their take on the win over Drake on Wednesday

SPRINGFIELD – Missouri State got a career-high 36 points from Alston Mason, including 29 after halftime, to help lead the Bears to a thrilling, 83-80, double-overtime win over visiting Drake here Wednesday.

The Bears 11-9 (3-6 MVC) trailed by 16 points late in the first half and matched the third-largest deficit overcome for victory in program history. The Bears needed every second of the second period to close the double-digit gap as Nick Kramer's jumper from the right baseline with 1.0 seconds to go, tied the game, 65-65, to force overtime. Kramer had 5 points and 5 rebounds on the evening, and his clutch follow-up at the end of regulation marked two of 20 second-chance points for MoState on the night.

In overtime, Drake's Conor Enwright scored the first four points to set a blistering pace, but a Mason 3-pointer got the Bears back within one. MoState's defense then racked up three straight stops before Cesare Edwards gave the home club a two-point lead, 71-69, on a traditional three-point play with a minute to go after a slick pass from Mason.

Drake's Darnell Brodie then scored on a layup with 18.6 seconds left in the first overtime to knot things up. Both teams had the ball from there, but MSU's defense locked up Enright on a potential game-winner for Drake (16-4, 7-2 MVC).

In the second overtime, Edwards and Donovan Clay pushed the Bears ahead by four in the first 90 seconds as the home club went to the rack to make it 75-71. Atin Wright drew Drake within one on a pair of free throws before Kevin Overton knocked down his only three of the night for the Bulldogs to put the guests ahead, 76-75.

Edwards responded with one of the biggest shots of the night, a 3-pointer from the left side, that restored order and gave MoState a two-point lead with exactly two minutes to go. Brodie made one-of-two free throws to keep Drake close on its next trip, but Mason's layup at the 1:19 mark gave the Bears a three-point cushion, 80-77.

Down the stretch, Wright made it a one-point game with 66 seconds left, but Edwards scored at the 42-second mark to make it 82-79. The Bulldogs would turn the ball over on their next possession and later Overton's potential game-tying three missed with 28 ticks showing. Damien Mayo Jr. cleaned up the miss and the Bears held on for a thrilling and needed home victory over the Valley co-leaders.

The win marked the 100th win at Missouri State for Bears' head coach Dana Ford who improved to 100-75 in his sixth season in Springfield.

Edwards finished with 12 points and six rebounds to join Mason as the Bears' only double-figure scorers.

Chance Moore accounted for three of MSU's 9 blocked shots on the night, while Mason destroyed the Great Southern Bank Arena record for field goal attempts, making 13-of-28 shots on the night, including 5-of-11 from long range.

Donovan Clay, who eclipsed 800 career rebounds in the victory, tallied 8 points and team-highs 8 rebounds and 4 assists, but he also drew the game's toughest defensive assignment. He held Valley Preseason Player of the Tear Tucker DeVries scoreless in the second half and all of overtime as the standout DU guard went 0-for-4 from the field over the game's final 30 minutes with three turnovers.

DeVries's 18 first-half points pushed him to a double-double on the night as he also gathered in a game-high 10 rebounds. Brodie matched DeVries for team-high honors with 18 points, while Enright and Wright scored 12 apiece with Enright adding a game-high 6 assists.

For the ball game, Missouri State was 33-of-83 (.398), shattering the arena record for field goal attempts. The Bears were also 11-of-28 (.393) from long range and 6-of-12 (.500) at the line with a 53-42 rebounding advantage and just 11 turnovers and 9 blocked shots.

Drake finished 30-of-71 (.423) overall, 8-of-23 (.348) from distance – just two threes after halftime – and 12-of-18 (.667) at the foul line.

In the first half, the Bears traded blows with the Bulldogs for the first 11 minutes, navigating through six ties and six lead changes to a 23-23 deadlock at the 9:01 mark. But the Bulldogs caught fire for the next seven minutes while MSU missed its next 15 shots.

The 16-0 Drake run included seven points from DeVries and resulted in a 39-23 Bulldogs lead with 2:14 to go in the opening period.

MoState was able to shake the woes on back-to-back treys by Moore and Matthew Lee to trim the deficit to 10. But DeVries knocked down a triple from the mid-court logo at the buzzer to push the visitors ahead 42-29 at the intermission.

vufan75

Any news on Stafford today? We don't see him on the bench, not playing.....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

I like Sepp, but you have to go up like a big man on that cut, and not how he went up, more like a small guard.  You are ahead of the defender and know that you have them coming behind you, and need to go up strong and high.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

I believe that we will win.

valpotx

I thought that last home game, as well, but it only ended up as 1,400.  The chairback side must have been pretty sparse.  I would guess 2,000 again today, but it will probably be around 1,500
"Don't mess with Texas"

SPEEDYPITCHER37

That 5 point possession could be killer. Big swing and just makes Cooper's day worse.

VU2014

Sounds harsh, but Palm and Barrett have no business being on this roster next season...

Critical recruiting mistake by the last staff. I understand the Barrett recruitment, but Lottich completely ignored his injury history in high school and still made the offer.

covufan

The number of times we've given up way too many Offensive Rebounds is a little surprising for this season. 

valpopal

It is clear which team's players have had more time to spend in the weight room, one of the disadvantages for so many freshmen. The contrast in appearance standing side by side on the court is apparent, as are the contrasting stats in rebounding (48-33)) and points in the paint (44-22) favoring Missouri State.

tiny707

Will be nice to have Lual and Lucas next year. Two more big bodies.

valpotx

Another big run and bad shooting caused this loss.  It amazes me how many wide open shots we miss.  These are D-1 players that should be able to make those FT line area jump shots with ease, when no one is contesting.  As I've said previously, Lubos Barton has to just roll his eyes when he sees some of the wide open looks that we miss.  Our streak of 30+ consecutive seasons with a .500 or above record at home, appears to be at an end now...  :(
"Don't mess with Texas"

tiny707

Hard to hit shots when you are gassed.

Valpofamfan

I agree- the pace we were playing was very fast. A really entertaining game to watch though. I think we need to give a lot of credit to these underclassmen- they held their own against a veteran bulky, tall missouri state team. Great effort.

vufan75

Quote from: Valpofamfan on January 27, 2024, 07:27:04 PM
I agree- the pace we were playing was very fast. A really entertaining game to watch though. I think we need to give a lot of credit to these underclassmen- they held their own against a veteran bulky, tall missouri state team. Great effort.
Agreed. We started 4 freshman as I recall it today, plus Darius. Great for future getting experience but does make it tough getting dubs against veteran teams. Will be good to hopefully get Isaiah back next week to add back another upperclass player.

I think we all knew this would be a tough year from a W/L perpective. It hopefully leads to better days ahead with all the experience the young guys are getting. I trust the Rev's plan.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

justducky

Didn't notice this earlier but in their 111 total minutes of freshman play the 4 had 0 TOs.  :o Is that correct? Palm had more than that in 1 minute.

valpo64

I thought we played well for a good portion of the game but this young team still has its bad stretches as in the SIU game and others, including today.   Those bad stretches are killers especially when playing veteran teams.   I think we can all see improvement which makes the future exciting but boy are those bad stretches tough to watch.   Our young kids just got man-handled in the paint and on the boards.   You just have to love the experience factor.

Now lets get the Aces next Saturday.