• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #23, MVC #12, Evansville in the ARC 3pm Saturday - Bring it

Started by talksalot, February 02, 2024, 07:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

JD24

Lots of enthusiasm from the coach but 3 FTs at a home game? That's embarrassing. Complete lack of aggression.

valpopal

Quote from: JD24 on February 04, 2024, 12:14:14 AM
Lots of enthusiasm from the coach but 3 FTs at a home game? That's embarrassing. Complete lack of aggression.
After the last game, I wrote about "the weakness of our softer inside game, as we've seen in the past two games, losing on rebounds 96-66 and points in the paint 74-38!" Again against Evansville Valpo lost in rebounding (36-29) and points in the paint (30-24) as well as at free throw attempts (15-3). These are all indicators of aggression and toughness inside or, in this case, a lack of it.

I like Coach Powell, but the last thing I expected from one of his teams was softness in the paint. Part of it lies in the fact that Sepp and Schwieger are freshmen and need time to build strength, but doesn't explain Palm. The three combined for only 5 rebounds in 50 minutes of play. For the third time in four games Sepp had 0 points, and I believe his only shot was blocked. However, I am assuming when the Rev repeatedly declares, as he did in the postgame conference, he'll be bringing in transfer dudes to complement the freshmen next year, he means tough bigs.

johnu1

Observations from a UE grad/fan.
Great enthusiasm by student body, which makes the ARC a tough place to play. A couple of other sideline notions, but those don't matter much.

They need to replace the bleachers in that place -- now. It would improve attendance and in-game comfort for us old people who can't walk those "steps." The ARC is plenty useful as an arena if they do that, despite what I read from other fan boards. I can't speak to the facility as a whole. I don't have any need for that.

The game itself was basketball as it should be played in an era of drive-to-contact. Nothing ruins a game like 64 free throws. That didn't happen and the players on the court weren't getting into foul trouble. The best can play the game.

I won't evaluate the Valpo team/roster. There are always good players at VU. This year, maybe not enough.

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on February 04, 2024, 11:08:07 AM
Quote from: JD24 on February 04, 2024, 12:14:14 AMLots of enthusiasm from the coach but 3 FTs at a home game? That's embarrassing. Complete lack of aggression.
After the last game, I wrote about "the weakness of our softer inside game, as we've seen in the past two games, losing on rebounds 96-66 and points in the paint 74-38!" Again against Evansville Valpo lost in rebounding (36-29) and points in the paint (30-24) as well as at free throw attempts (15-3). These are all indicators of aggression and toughness inside or, in this case, a lack of it. I like Coach Powell, but the last thing I expected from one of his teams was softness in the paint. Part of it lies in the fact that Sepp and Schwieger are freshmen and need time to build strength, but doesn't explain Palm. The three combined for only 5 rebounds in 50 minutes of play. For the third time in four games Sepp had 0 points, and I believe his only shot was blocked. However, I am assuming when the Rev repeatedly declares, as he did in the postgame conference, he'll be bringing in transfer dudes to complement the freshmen next year, he means tough bigs.
I liked Powell's PC yesterday as he repeatedly mentioned what he wanted corrected and at least once referenced that he'd bring people in to do so. I consistently looked at Schwieger as if to tell him that even he has to get more on board. Having said that, his game may be more of as a perimeter player. Rebounding can often be a quickness issue rather than either size or the ability to box out which is something everyone always talks about when teams don't rebound well. Those who are quick jumpers and aggressive to the ball are sometimes more valuable than bigger guys who are more flat footed and aren't sacrificing their bodies to do so. It sounded to me like there's some dissatisfaction with Edwards in this regard.

Stafford's game frustrates me from a shooting standpoint in terms of selection and making shots but I will say he rebounds well particularly for a guard and he has a lot of value in that regard.

elephtheria47

By waiting so long last year, the school basically punted this season and we all gotta ride it out. Powell was put behind the 8 ball to get any real talent this year. Ive said it before, but field a somewhat competetive team and build fan/community interest this year. Anything else we can build on this year is strictly a positive.

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on February 03, 2024, 07:44:20 PM
Evansville started 5 seniors(3 of which were 5th year).  A veteran lineup like that, with experience and the age factor, just killed us inside as they had their way with our guys in the paint.  At this point we just are not experienced enough or strong enough.  I just can't figure out our shooting woes...terrible.  And then there is our interior defense.  Our biggest guy, Cooper, only had 2 rebounds until very late in the game when he finally got his 3rd.  I thought we could have and should have won this game....very disappointing.

Yep, their apples scored 1 more point than our oranges. That's my 1 takeaway.

VULB#62

Quote from: elephtheria47 on February 04, 2024, 06:50:22 PM
By waiting so long last year, the school basically punted this season and we all gotta ride it out. Powell was put behind the 8 ball to get any real talent this year. Ive said it before, but field a somewhat competetive team and build fan/community interest this year. Anything else we can build on this year is strictly a positive.

Clicking on LIKE to your comment is not sufficient. Given the late start and the obstacles Roger confronted, this bunch of young kids he has recruited and is coaching are actually playing over their heads relative to the MVC teams they challenge every game. In today's BB world there'll never be another Fab Five unless the NIL is in the 7 figures —— and we start 3 or sometimes 4 freshmen.

I'm sure the staff already has a target list of possible upperclassmen xfers who can plug our talent holes as well as complement the talent we already have. And even if not all the holes get plugged by new players, the potential of the kids we already have might, after another off-season, be sufficient to bring the squad to .500 in the MVC in year two. 

This is not gonna be an immediate turn-around. We all knew that. Year one is just a peek into the future. Year two will give us solid perspective and set realistic expectations.

VULB#62

Quote from: johnu1 on February 04, 2024, 02:08:05 PM
Observations from a UE grad/fan.
Great enthusiasm by student body, which makes the ARC a tough place to play. A couple of other sideline notions, but those don't matter much.

They need to replace the bleachers in that place -- now. It would improve attendance and in-game comfort for us old people who can't walk those "steps." The ARC is plenty useful as an arena if they do that, despite what I read from other fan boards. I can't speak to the facility as a whole. I don't have any need for that.

The game itself was basketball as it should be played in an era of drive-to-contact. Nothing ruins a game like 64 free throws. That didn't happen and the players on the court weren't getting into foul trouble. The best can play the game.

I won't evaluate the Valpo team/roster. There are always good players at VU. This year, maybe not enough.

I have always wondered why only one side had retractable chairbacks. Johnu1 has an objective, neutral and valid observation.

tiny707

We bacsically have three starters next year with two starter slots to fill with Veteran transfers.

usc4valpo

the team currently is deprived of both inexperience and talent. IMHO Powell in his overall performance has exceeded my expectations.

AB

Valpo was the more talented team Saturday and their is no way they should have lost the game. As several have mentioned. Way to may lay ups easy looks in the paint. Paint defense....soft is to nice. Non existent is more accurate. Our young nucleus, figure to improve next year and likely small roster turnover. The sign is how the team plays hard to the end. Under Lottich, they waved the white flag at the end of some games, a sign they weren't as bought into the culture/locker room. For the most part Powell is doing all he can with what he has, maybe try a little more zone, mix up the defense a little more often. Although not a savior of the team, Palm should be in 15 minutes a game eating up fouls, going after rebounds. I think he presses to hard knowing he has limited minutes.