• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Record Watch

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 24, 2012, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Blox, career
2. Zoran 1996-2000 127
3. VASHIL 116
4. Joaquin Gomes 2000-04 111

At this rate he'll be there before conference, and could catch Raitis if he keeps averaging 7 a game.  So.  There's that.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

breaking news:  Vashil leads the nation with 44 blocks.

(before that one dude complains again, his average of 3.1 pg has him 12th.  and as a riposte, his block PERCENTAGE has him 4th.  in the nation.)

At 44 for the season, he needs 4 against JMU to move into the top 10 for best VU seasons.

And conference hasn't even started yet.

he's also first in the conference in plus/minus and roland ratings, AND offensive rebound percentage.

any more complaints about The 'Shil?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 21, 2014, 08:56:09 PM

(before that one dude complains again, his average of 3.1 pg has him 12th.  and as a riposte, his block PERCENTAGE has him 4th.  in the nation.)

At 44 for the season, he needs 4 against JMU to move into the top 10 for best VU seasons.

he's also first in the conference in plus/minus and roland ratings, AND offensive rebound percentage.

Ya! How come he couldn't have played half of this good last season?  ???

wh

Luke Gore noted on the postgame that more than just blocking shots he keeps the ball in play rather than swatting it out of bounds.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on December 21, 2014, 09:05:17 PM

Ya! How come he couldn't have played half of this good last season?  ???

Well, because he has truly been the definition of "a work in progress".  The level of progress has been very predictable even when considering the number of minutes played.

His FG% has increased each year, as has his FT%, rebounds, scoring average, and of course, blocks.  More importantly, without Moussa, his need, to be able to stay on the floor, has increased and he has responded accordingly.

We have three guys on track for all conference awards if they can keep playing at this level.  Let's all hope so...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Odds n'ends:
vashil: 44 blox
rest of team: 29

At 19 ppg Alec is on pace for 608, or the 5th best season of all time. 
10 more points would leave him 3rd -- he would pass sr and jr Bryce.

Alec is also on pace for 94 3FG this year, which would tie him for second with sr Bryce and leave him 6 behind jr Bryce. 
50.6% (can he keep that up? ...do you want to bet against him?) would only be the 2nd best season at valpo (and if you said Lance "The Mask" Barker, I'll treat you to a cold one at McNamara's Cuckoo Club...wait, it what?).

Keith Carter on pace for 52 or 53 steals, which would be the 9th or 8th best season (the latter would tie him with sr Bryce--his high-water mark!)

It probably won't last, but we have 8 players averaging 20 minutes or more.  We've never had that; at least as far back as  I can check (2001-02).  Last year we had 4; Rowdy's sr. yr 6; 2012 & 2005 7, but not 8.

I guess the rotation's pretty well set in stone :)  not every day you have a 9 man rotation, but it looks like we will.  E-Victor is trending up at 13.4 too, so we'll see.  It seems like every conference year there's a change in the rotation at some point (case in point being jordan coleman last year), so stay tuned.

speaking of upward trends, it was noted that we are playing 3 non-D1s this year when normally we do 2.  That seemed wrong to me, so I checked and this is the second straight year we've played 3 non-D1s!  Of course, year before that, Rowdy's sr. year (can we think of something else to call it?  that's catchy?  catchier than '2012-13'?) we only played 1, so maybe that evens out.  Consistently 2 before then, though.

agibson

Huh?  What about the guy from washington?

valpopal

E-Victor is trending up at 13.4 too, so we'll see.

The goal was for Nickerson to be healthy by the time conference play rolled around. Playing two games in less than 24 hours for a total of 32 minutes this weekend seemed to be an indication as to how far he has progressed. With one more non-conference game and about two weeks before the conference schedule starts, he appears to be nearing his destination at the end of the road to full recovery. I look forward to seeing his play when he gets there! 

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 21, 2014, 10:13:49 PMOf course, year before that, Rowdy's sr. year (can we think of something else to call it?  that's catchy?  catchier than '2012-13'?) we only played 1, so maybe that evens out.  Consistently 2 before then, though.

The Year of "The Shot II?"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on December 21, 2014, 11:26:44 PM
welp.  i was just going by what stat sheet said, but you're right, dude from wash has one more block.

alec peters 8th in NCAA in 3FGM AND has the highest percentage of all the top 14. 

tied for 33 in PPG.  the only other person playing as few minutes as he does among the leaders is ETSU's Riley with an identical 26.9 mpg (you remember he got 27 against us even though he's no bigger'n a minit); the rest of the top 100 all have more than 28 mpg, although most are well over 30.

47th in ORtg, 9th in pts/40.

he's pretty good you guys

wh

classof2014

Amazing the number of projects and unknowns Valpo seems to bring in that work. Vashil is well on his way to have one of the strongest, if not the best defensive season in VU history. He takes away the easiest buckets around the rim, has been able to pull down rebounds, take care of the ball, and stay out of foul trouble (for the most part). He should be front-runner for defensive player of the year in the HL. Not many players can take away a whole dimension of the game like Vashil has been able to this season. I would imagine he'll keep these strong numbers up in the HL, a guard heavy league. Last season he played great defensively in league play and there's been nothing to change my mind this season. It'll be fun to watch him shut down guys like Hain and Petros, while KC takes away the scoring of Sykes and Howard, while Vashil is a vacuum on the inside. There's no secret to why we have one of the best defenses in the HL, KC's on-ball pressure with Vashil clogging up the inside. Forces teams to take low-percentage outside shots.

KC and Vashil, as of now, are 2 of the top 5 defenders in the league.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on December 22, 2014, 08:18:58 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 22, 2014, 07:44:20 AM
Quote from: agibson on December 21, 2014, 11:26:44 PM
welp.  i was just going by what stat sheet said, but you're right, dude from wash has one more block.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=robert-upshaw&p1=vashil-fernandez

yeah, stat sheet hasn't updated upshaw's stats yet.  espn giving him 45 now

LaPorteAveApostle

I should note that when projecting stats for the season, I assume 32 games--12-2 plus JMU, 16 conference games, and the 1 playoff game we're guaranteed.

Obviously I hope we get more.  But won't assume.

LaPorteAveApostle

Blox, career
2. Zoran 1996-2000 127
3. VASHIL 120

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 29, 2014, 07:48:43 PM
Blox, career
2. Zoran 1996-2000 127
3. VASHIL 120

Just think what might have been if Vashil could have played 4 years. The NCAA sure screwed up a possible blocks record for Vashil.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Vashil is now T2!

Blox, career
1. Raitis 1999-2003 228
t2. VASHIL 127
t2. Zoran 1996-2000 127

Blox, season
4. Jr Vashil 58
t5. Sr Raitis 57 (haha senioritis)
t5. Sr Mo Kone 57 (he dominated)
6.  SR VASHIL 55

valpotx

Vashil now has 56 blocks this season
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vusupporter on January 09, 2015, 09:36:52 PMThe NCAA, the Horizon League and Valpo all say he has 56.
the ncaa link you posted says 52.

also my links have game-by-game stats.  i was hoping yours would too so i could go through the whole season and compare.  #excitingfridaynights

vusupporter

Doesn't seem like that NCAA link was updated with last game, since it has him with 17 GP/52 blocks.  Anyways, I would guess NCAA/league/school trumps third-party sites. *shrug*

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah i would too, but to me, the game-by-game is more plausible....it's like your algebra teacher would say "show your work".

(I think even if he had had 56 I still would have said 55 so I could use the T2 thing : )

bbtds

The best link is, of course,

So cute.