• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Tourney

Started by oklahomamick, February 20, 2013, 11:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Wright State split with Detroit.  They won by 2 and lost by 7.  They are as capable of knocking off Detroit in the semi's as GB is, assuming they're at full strength.

78crusader

You guys are wasting your time. It doesn't matter who we play in the HL tournament. If a senior-laden team, with what should be huge motivation to reach the NCAAs, can't win this thing on its home floor, then we don't deserve to go anywhere but the nobody-really-cares NIT.

Paul

VUfan

This team has done well so far, winning on the road for an outright title, will complete a great season. Valpo has not had any post season success in the last 10 years, Winning the HL tournament will set this team apart from all other teams in the past and set the stage for possable success in the NCAA Tournament. This should be the goal for the rest of the year.  So how about we need a 24-7 regular and a 5-1 post season record will make this team note worthy. Can they get there?   :)

historyman

Quote from: 78crusader on February 28, 2013, 08:27:01 PMYou guys are wasting your time. It doesn't matter who we play in the HL tournament. If a senior-laden team, with what should be huge motivation to reach the NCAAs, can't win this thing on its home floor, then we don't deserve to go anywhere but the nobody-really-cares NIT. Paul
Kind of pointless to spend your time on a message board telling others posting on a message board that they are wasting their time on any subject. What is a message board for? If you're not interested in it don't read it.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: VUfan on February 28, 2013, 09:51:14 PMValpo has not had any post season success in the last 10 years

We'll always have Paris.  Er, Washington.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on March 01, 2013, 08:34:19 AM
Quote from: VUfan on February 28, 2013, 09:51:14 PMValpo has not had any post season success in the last 10 years

We'll always have Paris.  Er, Washington.

bryan bouchie. huge game. then transfers. last time we beat a bcs conference school.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 01, 2013, 09:29:29 AMlast time we beat a bcs conference school.

eh.  last time he did too.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ValpoHoops

1. Valpo
2. Detroit
3. Wright State
4. Green Bay
5. UIC
6. Youngstown State
7. Loyola
8. Cleveland State
9. Milwaukee

VULB#62

Has anyone set up a bracket graphic?

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Molto graci!  Was wondering how that would set up.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 02, 2013, 06:10:58 PMMolto graci!  Was wondering how that would set up.

You're welcome!  I learned some stuff about Mac Preview whilst whipping that up.

Also I learned how many teams in our conference are either red or green.

Kyle321n

I hate to be a whore, but I wrote a fanpost over at Mid-Major Madness previewing the HL first round.

If you don't want to read it, here's my prediction
Milwaukee has no answer for the Brown-Fouse-Cougill front court. Green Bay wins 75-60.
The winner of this game will get it's doors blown off by UWGB. Cleveland State wins 60-55.
Youngstown proves to have too much fire power for Loyola. Youngstown State wins 70-65.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 04, 2013, 03:11:29 PM
I hate to be a whore, but I wrote a fanpost over at Mid-Major Madness previewing the HL first round.

If you don't want to read it, here's my prediction
Milwaukee has no answer for the Brown-Fouse-Cougill front court. Green Bay wins 75-60.
The winner of this game will get it's doors blown off by UWGB. Cleveland State wins 60-55.
Youngstown proves to have too much fire power for Loyola. Youngstown State wins 70-65.

Funny, my bracket looks just the opposite for the most part:

GB over Milwaukee
Loyola over YSU
UIC over CSU
UIC over GB
WSU over Loyola
WSU over Detroit
Valpo over UIC
Valpo wins!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu72 on March 04, 2013, 03:22:24 PM
Funny, my bracket looks just the opposite for the most part:

GB over Milwaukee
Loyola over YSU
UIC over CSU
UIC over GB
WSU over Loyola
WSU over Detroit
Valpo over UIC
Valpo wins!!
Yeah for further rounds I have:
GB over UIC
WSU over Loyola
Valpo over GB
Detroit over WSU
Valpo over Detroit
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

talksalot

Just opened up the CBSsports site to get some scores... and who's picture is staring at me?  JR.   along with this story: Under the headline: 

Horizon (March 5-12 -- Campus sites of higher seeds)
What we expect to happen: Valparaiso and Detroit battled down the stretch during the season, but the Crusaders came out on top. In the conference tourney, the tables will turn -- Ray McCallum will carry the Titans to the NCAA tournament.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21811414/conference-tournaments-get-your-2013-brackets-predictions

If that were to happen... would the NIT send us to Waco ?   

wh

This will sound like a homer statement, but I will be amazed if we don't win the tournament.  As for Detroit, we dominated them for 30 minutes at the ARC before fading in the last 10.  Since then we have dominated every opponent.  This team is running on all cylinders right now, is on a mission, and will not be stopped by anyone in the Horizon League.  Book it!

KL31NY

Don't worry, talksalot. I wouldn't take the prognostication of Mr. Borzello very seriously IMHO. He also thinks Evansville will win the Missouri Valley Championship. UE would likely have to beat Indiana State, Creighton, AND Wichita State.  :crazy:

My pick of course is Valpo. Hail Crusaders!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

wh

Looks like the entire lower level is sold out for Saturday's games, less a handful of single open seats.  Appears to be appx. 900 seats still available in the mezzanine - BB, CC & DD.  Looks like AA and EE are being held for visiting teams.

crusadermoe

I'll take these:
GB over Milwaukee, UIC over YSU, Loyola over Cleveland St.
GB over UIC, Loyola over Wright St.
Valpo over GB, Detroit over Loyola,.....then Valpo over Detroit

historyman

Quote from: wh on March 04, 2013, 10:21:05 PMThis will sound like a homer statement, but I will be amazed if we don't win the tournament.  As for Detroit, we dominated them for 30 minutes at the ARC before fading in the last 10.  Since then we have dominated every opponent.  This team is running on all cylinders right now, is on a mission, and will not be stopped by anyone in the Horizon League.  Book it!

I totally agree with this statement. I have the feeling that through sheer determination that Valpo will find a way to persevere on their home court and find a way to beat Detroit. I believe that this Valpo team is hitting on all cylinders and it really showed in the way they beat Green Bay in Wisconsin, a place where they have never had much luck (only one win since Valpo joined the HL up till their second win on Saturday afternoon). I feel the seniors see this as their last chance and will not let what happened to them last year in the HL tournament and in the Detroit at Valpo game at the ARC this season happen again. They have experienced the disappointment and now it's time to experience the rewards and make the NCAA tournament and possibly win a game or two in the Big Dance.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Hopefully Rowdy comes out strong, trying to show that he should have been POY. 
"Don't mess with Texas"