• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Selection party @ the Harre Union

Started by VULB#62, March 15, 2013, 02:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Looks like this'll be quite a party.  Free food.  Cheerleaders and the Pep Band.  Any of you local guys going?

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/12525/selection-show-viewing-party-information/

Kyle321n

I'll be there should I survive Saturday night  :thumbsup:
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

letsgovu

Friday, March 15, 2013

Congratulations to our Valparaiso Crusaders on their Horizon League Tournament championship and a berth into the NCAA Tournament!  Registration has reached capacity and is closed for the viewing party in the Harre Union ballrooms, but if you didn't get a chance to register, come join the festivities in Founders on Sunday evening as the Crusaders find out their destination and opponent for the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

VULB#62

That's great.  There's some spirit aboiling!

ValpoHoops

Wonder if there's any chance they move this to the ARC....you know, we do have the big screen in there, and there would be more room.

letsgovu

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 15, 2013, 08:50:42 PMWonder if there's any chance they move this to the ARC....you know, we do have the big screen in there, and there would be more room.

that would sure be nice for those of us that didn't move quick enough on the tickets...

talksalot

I'll be at B-WW's on just east of I-75 in Brandon, Florida with my Valpo Basketball shirt.    Last time I did that, I was in Washington DC found a sports bar .... and they put up the Valpo name and the bar erupted in cheers... I could not believe it.   OH, then I realized that we drew Maryland... and the place was packed with terps.   They bought the beer all night!  I'm thinking we won't draw USF, the local home team... but if we get the gators or the canes, I might get just as lucky, but I don't see us falling that far.

milanmiracle

So, for anybody who was there...what was the reaction to drawing Michigan State and being a 14 seed?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

agibson

I was late (coming from a rehearsal) so I'll have to check with the family.

Afterwords, Ryan was doing some interviews and was pretty casual about it.  Usual sort of "one game at a time" feel.  They were going to get a difficult team to play no matter the seed, everybody in the tournaments a really good team, the coaching staff will prepare us well, I'm sure they're already preparing, we'll be able to play loose, free and easy without any expectations [i hope he meant external, or media or some such, expectations].

They fixed the names on the trophy , by the way.  2012 Detroit , 2013 Valpo.  They had a regular season plaque to go with the two trophies.

truth219

Saw pictures on my wifes phone...besides the team everyone there was a million years old

agibson

Ha!  Quite a few students: pep band, cheerleaders, but also others.

At least two faculty families with young kids.  Quite a few grade school/junior high kids.  Luke's son.  Maybe Buggs' daughter?

And, yes, some grey hair season ticket holder chair back types.

truth219

It was as  if the valpo team visited a nursing home

valpopal

My photo of the team responding to the announcement of their seed and match-up with Michigan State:

valpopal

Championship trophies on display at the Selection Party. Note that Detroit (2012) and Valparaiso (2013) have been added to the nameplate on the large trophy since the game on Tuesday.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on March 17, 2013, 07:54:46 PMChampionship trophies on display at the Selection Party. Note that Detroit (2012) and Valparaiso (2013) have been added to the nameplate on the large trophy since the game on Tuesday.

maybe that's the #FinishedBusiness everyone's been tweeting about that riles STL up so
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Was the turnout low students?    Seems like something students would have wanted to be at....   Sure wish i could have been there with the team.

valpopal

Cheerleaders and Crusaderettes pose with the trophies:

agibson

Quote from: Smj on March 17, 2013, 08:13:49 PM
Was the turnout low students?    Seems like something students would have wanted to be at....   Sure wish i could have been there with the team.

From the signup sheet, it seemed like they capped it at around 200 people (maybe including the team, but not including pep band, etc?).

It went out to faculty and staff somewhat (a day?) in advance of being posted to the general public.  I assume it went out to students at the same time as to faculty and staff, but I'm not sure.  It's not clear how closely students monitor their Valpo email towards the end of spring break.

I'm sure there would have been a bunch more students there if they hadn't capped the event.  (There was a bunch of free food, if nothing else!)

valpopal

valpopal

Another shot I took of the team's immediate reaction to the selection announcement:

VULB#62

Quote from: truth219 on March 17, 2013, 06:54:00 PM
It was as  if the valpo team visited a nursing home

Perhaps a reflection of where the true fan passion is these days? 

"Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)" Cinderella, 1988

valpopal

govalpogo

I particularly enjoy that Bryce is interrupted by the commercial featuring his shot.