• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, May 10, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Who is on our schedule for 13-14?  Is there a rough draft out there? 
CRUSADERS!!!

classof2014

I think we'll be playing

Kent State - Home
Saint Louis - Home
IPFW - Away
IUPUI - Away
Murray State - Home
Loyola Marymount - Home

I think MSU and SLU were home at home series. I would assume the same for Kent State, and IPFW/IUPUI is a yearly thing. LMU is the bracketbuster return game. Anyone else is a surprise. Like always I think there will be a few more MAC teams on the schedule, would like to see one of their better teams. Hopefully they can schedule strong competition with higher leagues as well, but not against teams we wouldn't have a chance. Don't want to see a top 5 seed on the schedule. Perhaps a few 10+ seeds though.

vufan75

Quote from: classof2014 on May 10, 2013, 11:40:50 AM
I think we'll be playing

Kent State - Home
Saint Louis - Home
IPFW - Away
IUPUI - Away
Murray State - Home
Loyola Marymount - Home

I think MSU and SLU were home at home series. I would assume the same for Kent State, and IPFW/IUPUI is a yearly thing. LMU is the bracketbuster return game. Anyone else is a surprise. Like always I think there will be a few more MAC teams on the schedule, would like to see one of their better teams. Hopefully they can schedule strong competition with higher leagues as well, but not against teams we wouldn't have a chance. Don't want to see a top 5 seed on the schedule. Perhaps a few 10+ seeds though.

I thought that Nebraska was an "away/then a return home game 2-year series", similar to what was arranged with SLU, MSU, and New Mexico before the new head coach at New Mexico decided to buy his way out of the return game at Valpo. I haven't heard anything re: Nebraska in terms of a buyout of the return game. I do hope we get them at the ARC this year. Other than Purdue, it is rare for a B1G team to visit our friendly confines.

I would personally like to see us start up a series with Davidson if it is at all possible. That would be a nice mid-major series IMO, something that could replace the defunct Bracketbuster games we've played in terms of playing another mid-major school with a decent RPI. I'd also assume our days of playing Butler are over. Would be nice to continue that series, if not every year maybe every other year or so. Of course, Butler probably would want a 2 or 3 for 1 deal, which would rule them out. Also, are we tourney eligible this coming season in terms of playing in an early season tourney?

I wonder if we owe Northern Illinois a return game in De Kalb this year, or was that a one and done deal as part of the ESPN 24 hour hoops marathon to open last season?

valpotx

Quote from: vufan75 on May 10, 2013, 01:08:16 PM
I think we'll be playing

Kent State - Home
Saint Louis - Home
IPFW - Away
IUPUI - Away
Murray State - Home
Loyola Marymount - Home

I thought that Nebraska was an "away/then a return home game 2-year series", similar to what was arranged with SLU, MSU, and New Mexico before the new head coach at New Mexico decided to buy his way out of the return game at Valpo. I haven't heard anything re: Nebraska in terms of a buyout of the return game. I do hope we get them at the ARC this year. Other than Purdue, it is rare for a B1G team to visit our friendly confines.

I would personally like to see us start up a series with Davidson if it is at all possible. That would be a nice mid-major series IMO, something that could replace the defunct Bracketbuster games we've played in terms of playing another mid-major school with a decent RPI. I'd also assume our days of playing Butler are over. Would be nice to continue that series, if not every year maybe every other year or so. Of course, Butler probably would want a 2 or 3 for 1 deal, which would rule them out. Also, are we tourney eligible this coming season in terms of playing in an early season tourney?

I wonder if we owe Northern Illinois a return game in De Kalb this year, or was that a one and done deal as part of the ESPN 24 hour hoops marathon to open last season?

Someone mentioned that we still get to host UNM, just not this year.  They didn't buy out of the agreement, unless there was another recent announcement.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

Quote from: valpotx on May 10, 2013, 01:54:09 PM
I think we'll be playing

Kent State - Home
Saint Louis - Home
IPFW - Away
IUPUI - Away
Murray State - Home
Loyola Marymount - Home

Someone mentioned that we still get to host UNM, just not this year.  They didn't buy out of the agreement, unless there was another recent announcement.

You are correct, valpotx. I went surfing and found the following to confirm what you said. Thanks for clarifying for me.  :thumbsup:

http://oneclicksportsnow.com/lobos-basketball-final-field-set-for-charleston-classic/

Lobos basketball: Final field set for Charleston Classic
Posted on: 04/10/2013 - 12:20 PM Source: By Geoff Grammer / Journal Staff Writer  [permalink]

ESPN Regional Television on Wednesday released the names of the complete field for the Nov. 21-24 Charleston (S.C.) Classic that includes the New Mexico Lobos.

UNM and five other teams — Clemson, Georgia, Nebraska, Temple and Alabama-Birmingham — have been locked into the eight team event for several months. Wednesday it was announced Davidson, who UNM opened the 2012-13 season with in an ESPN game televised at midnight, and Massachusetts will complete the field.

The non-exempt tournament will be played at TD Arena in Charleston, S.C.

It is not yet clear how the tournament bracket will be seeded. When UNM played in the Paradise Jam tournament last November in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the event was seeded by the previous season's final RPI rankings. UNM's RPI ranking of No. 2 in the 2012-13 season would make the Lobos the No. 1 seed if the Charleston Classic uses the same format.

UNM, Temple and Davidson were each in this past season's NCAA Tournament while UMass participated in the NIT.

Here are the 2012-13 records and final RPI rankings for the eight teams in the Charleston Classic Field:

UNM Lobos (29-6; RPI 2)

Temple Owls (24-10; RPI 41)

Massachusetts Minutemen (21-12; RPI 56)

Davidson Wildcats (26-8; RPI 61)

Nebraska Cornhuskers (15-18; RPI 103)

Georgia Bulldogs (15-17; RPI 140)

UAB Blazers (16-17; RPI 145)

Clemson Tigers (13-18; RPI 185)

For more information, visit www.charlestonclassic.com.

More scheduling

UNM still has several holes to fill for the 2013-14 schedule and need to get to 16 home games to reach budget projections.

What is pinned down so far for what the team hopes will be a 31-game regular season schedule (dates are TBD unless noted):

18 Mountain West Conference games (nine at home, nine on the road)

3 neutral games in the Charleston Classic (Nov. 21-24)

2 games with New Mexico State (one in the Pit, one in Las Cruces)

1 neutral court game with either Stanford or Washington in an ESPN-televised game at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev., on Dec. 20

1 neutral court game with Kansas to be played in Kansas City

1 home game with Cincinnati (the back end of a home-and-home contract)

That is a total of 26 games (11 at home, 11 on road or neutral court games). UNM still has five games to schedule, all of which will have to be home games to get to the 16 home games needed for budgetary purposes.

Note1 : One of the remaining unfilled home games is likely to be against Nebraska and former Colorado State head coach Tim Miles. Because UNM and Nebraska are in the same exempt tournament (the Charleston Classic), the NCAA allows them to play within two weeks of the event, which allows both teams to then schedule 31 games instead of standard limit of 30 regular season games. As of Wednesday, the contract between the two schools has not been finalized.

Note 2: UNM owes a road game to Valparaiso as part of a home-and-home contract that had Valpo come to the Pit last December. Valpo agreed to push that game back to 2014-15 season so UNM can participate in the Dec. 20 game in Las Vegas, Nev.

zvillehaze

I think we'll be playing

Kent State - Home
Saint Louis - Home
IPFW - Away
IUPUI - Away
Murray State - Home
Loyola Marymount - Home

The Nebraska, Kent State, Chicago State and Bethune-Cookman games were all part of the Nebraska "exempt tournament".  Those are typically one game deals with no contractual return games. 

The NCAA now allows schools to participate in exempt tournaments every year ... the only limitation is you can only play a particular tournament (ie. Great Alaskan Shootout, Maui Classic) once every 4 years.

valporun

We don't have a return game with Northern Illinois this season. We played them in DeKalb in 2011-12, and they played at the ARC in 2012-13. The ESPN deal might have been that we had to schedule a game for that day to participate in it, and the NIU game was a perfect game to do that, as it was an early game in the season that let a lot of our players get some good court time. Think of how dominating we would have been in this game had Bobby not started feeling some of the affects of the injury that required surgery early last season?

talksalot

Don't we have a return trip to Northern Kentucky as a payback for this year's Buster game?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on May 11, 2013, 08:48:24 PM
Don't we have a return trip to Northern Kentucky as a payback for this year's Buster game?
if northern = eastern then yes. yes we do.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I believe that we can delay the BB return game 1 year, as LMU did that to us this last season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

With the Bracketbuster being no more, is it even a requirement to have the "return game" for the 2013 game? Sure, having Loyola Marymount and Eastern Kentucky on the schedule is two less games to work into the schedule for finding teams, but are they even necessary to "return"?

vusupporter

99% of the Bracket Buster games over the last five years have had the game returned two years later - that is the norm now, not the exception (to help keep road/home balance).  Yes, the 2013 Bracket Buster games will be returned.

Valpofan00

When are the Schedules gonna come out!? Ive been waiting so long. :'(

vufan75

Quote from: Valpofan00 on August 09, 2013, 12:22:46 PM
When are the Schedules gonna come out!? Ive been waiting so long. :'(

Schedules the last few years have been released sometime later in August or early September, once all contracts are signed. Hopefully just a few more weeks and we will know.

valpopal

Pencil on your schedule a home game against Mercer on Nov. 29.

oklahomamick

What about tournaments?  Cancun, Bahamas, Alaska? 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

For what it is worth, I heard a rumor that we might play an exhibition against University of Rio Grande, who played Cleveland State last year. No big deal and nothing confirmed yet.

valpotx

Something is just wrong when there is a University of Rio Grande in Ohio...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on August 13, 2013, 10:58:49 AMSomething is just wrong when there is a University of Rio Grande in Ohio...
Serves me right for mocking them so hard in the Non-Con wrap up last year.

Make sure you pronounce it right, though, Tex--it's RYE-oh, and for once I'm not even making stuff up
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Wow, seriously?  Does anyone know why they are called such a thing, when the "grand/large river' is in CO/NM/TX?  I couldn't find anything on wikipedia.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on August 14, 2013, 10:07:59 AM
Wow, seriously?  Does anyone know why they are called such a thing, when the "grand/large river' is in CO/NM/TX?  I couldn't find anything on wikipedia.

The college is in Rio Grande, Ohio (est 1874). Out of curiosity I emailed the email address of their village website, but it might be severely out of date and unused. Wikipedia says it's named after the river in the south, but who knows.

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpopal on August 10, 2013, 09:33:35 AM
Pencil on your schedule a home game against Mercer on Nov. 29.

This game and the game at Ohio U. are part of an exempt "tournament".  Valpo should also get games against Evansville and Alcorn State.

valpo64

Some trivia on Rio Grande College...years ago, perhaps in the 50's, Rio had the leading scorer in all of college basketball for at least 1 year...his name was Bevo Francis.  Wth a name like Bevo he had to go to a school named Rio Grande in Ohio, right?  Anyway, if I remember correctly he averaged well into the 30's ppg range.  I believe he was around 6'8" which at that time was a "big guy" and hard to stop.   I think he was a pretty good outside shooter also.