• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, May 10, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on September 06, 2013, 07:19:19 AM
Quote from: agibson on September 05, 2013, 09:52:27 PMBut, will they be better competition than, say, the Valparaiso YMCA All-Stars?

It would be kinda funny to have the Valpo YMCA kids as the halftime entertainment...Just looking through the ccuniversity.edu athletics site... they are excited about the 6'6 big man they signed to join their team...and their 2nd year head coach was part of their 1986, 1987 and 1988 Three-Peat as National Champions!  Last year, Eastern Kentucky beat them by 33, ... here was LAST years' roster... #quakinginmyboots

2   Nick Wake   SO   G   5-10   170   Goshen, Ohio
3   Ben Leatherman   FR   F   6-4   200   Fort Wayne, Indiana
11   Perry Smith Jr.   SR   F   6-1   190   Indianapolis, Indiana
13   Kenny Gaynor   FR   F   6-7   220   West Chester, Ohio
14   Joe Shellman   JR   G/F   6-3   175   Cincinnati, Ohio
20   Jeff McClintic   JR   G   6-0   175   Brownsburg, Indiana
21   Will Masse   FR   G/F   6-5   185   Lyon, France
22   Austin Irrer   FR   F/C   6-8   225   Homeschooled
23   Mike Hill   JR   G   6-2   165   Cincinnati, Ohio
24   Bryan Koors   FR   G   6-0   160   Hebron, Kentucky
30   DJ McCommons   FR   G   6-1   160   Dayton, Ohio
32   Elliot Young   FR   G   6-4   200   Williamsburg, Ohio
34   Nik Miller   FR   C   6-6   225   Plainfield, Indiana
42   Matt Brown   FR   G   6-1   175   Center Grove, Indiana

So this is where the lower tier high schoolers from Indy go. The Eagles got a Plainfield Quaker, Center Grove Trojan, Brownsburg Bulldog and a Lawrence Central Bear,

wh

From VU Athletics Facebook:

Look for a complete schedule breakdown with Valpo basketball head coach Bryce Drew on next week's Inside Valpo Athletics.
September 6 at 10:41am

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on September 06, 2013, 10:03:22 AM
The Horizon League season television schedule has been released. Valpo has six broadcast games, five at the ARC:

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-espn-announce-2013-14-mens-basketball-tv-schedule.html

At least two games on "The U".  Plus the semifinals.  I think EPNU may actually have been added to my cable package.  I should double check.  I hope so.  It was always frustrating, at least, to be locked out of those.

Nice to see Bryce featured in the article's photo.

wh

Quote from: agibson on September 09, 2013, 04:30:22 PM
Quote from: valpopal on September 06, 2013, 10:03:22 AM
The Horizon League season television schedule has been released. Valpo has six broadcast games, five at the ARC:

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-espn-announce-2013-14-mens-basketball-tv-schedule.html

At least two games on "The U".  Plus the semifinals.  I think EPNU may actually have been added to my cable package.  I should double check.  I hope so.  It was always frustrating, at least, to be locked out of those.

Nice to see Bryce featured in the article's photo.

There are 21 televised conference games for which opponents have been determined.  Not surprisingly, 2 teams (Valpo and WSU) are hosting half the games (10 of the 21).  There's nothing less impressive than watching a TV game with the stands 30% full, and where you can hear what the coaches are saying on the sidelines and the squeak of tennis shoes on hardwood.

5  Valpo (best roof-raising TV atmosphere in the HL by far - nowhere else even close)
5  WSU  (best overall attendance - obvious pick to win the league - nice venue)
4  Oakland (new kid on the block - very small venue, but easier to pack out for a TV game - good atmosphere)
3  Green Bay
2  Detroit
2  UIC
0  CSU
0  YSU
0  Milw

EddieCabot

Hoping someone could clarify some of the network information in that release.

ESPN3 - this is internet only, correct?  Does ESPN send their own broadcast teams for these games?
HLN Game of the Week/ESPN3 - Assume these are also internet, but are there also TV stations that pick up these games?
ESPNU/ESPN3 - What does this mean exactly?  Is this an either/or situation, or will the games be on both outlets?

Lastly, I noticed that a couple of Valpo's home games were listed for ESPN3.  Is there a real benefit (fan interest and attendance, national exposure, etc.) to having the webcast on ESPN3 versus being on the Horizon League Network?  Just curious.

chef

I'll take a shot at some of these. ESPN3 games are full ESPN crews...production and announcers. It didn't used to be this way, but was changed a few years ago. HLN games of the week are carried by some local TV stations, primarily in Horizon League cities. ESPNU/ESPN3 usually would mean both outlets. Although I know some people couldn't get ESPNU games on the internet (others could). I would think if anyone is deciding to go to a game or watch it on the internet - the HLN broadcast would be more likely to keep them at home for the home town call  ;)!

bbtds

Quote from: chef on September 09, 2013, 10:29:42 PM
I'll take a shot at some of these. ESPN3 games are full ESPN crews...production and announcers. It didn't used to be this way, but was changed a few years ago. HLN games of the week are carried by some local TV stations, primarily in Horizon League cities. ESPNU/ESPN3 usually would mean both outlets. Although I know some people couldn't get ESPNU games on the internet (others could). I would think if anyone is deciding to go to a game or watch it on the internet - the HLN broadcast would be more likely to keep them at home for the home town call  ;)!

Even if you aren't subscribed to any ESPN channels you can watch the broadcasts in their "Replay" section. It might not be live but you can see it later at no cost. 

Currently the Czech-Croatia game with Lubos Barton is available.

Lubos enters the game at the 18 minute mark. Goes out at the 38 min. mark. Barton re-enters the game at the 1:09 mark. He has a great defensive play at the 1:11 mark. Goes out at 1:31 mark. Although the look on Lubos face about a minute later sitting on the bench is priceless. Barton re-enters the game at 1:43 mark. It was Veseley's awful FT shooting that sunk CZE. It was hack-a czech night.

EDIT: I never knew that in their native language that Croatia is Hrvatska.

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds, I expect so much from you, so why don't you always follow through?

i would have expected a title to your post like "Czechs Bounced At Eurobasket"
or "Bah! De Czechs Hurt!"
or "Czechs' Mix Goes Bad"
or "Czechs' Imbalances Fail To Separate World Powers"

you know, stuff like that.  although 04 is just going to move this to the "Where Are They Now" thread.

understandably.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 10, 2013, 06:54:00 AM
bbtds, I expect so much from you, so why don't you always follow through?

i would have expected a title to your post like "Czechs Bounced At Eurobasket"
or "Bah! De Czechs Hurt!"
or "Czechs' Mix Goes Bad"
or "Czechs' Imbalances Fail To Separate World Powers"

you know, stuff like that.  although 04 is just going to move this to the "Where Are They Now" thread.

understandably.

So, if I had written "Veseley's missed FT's Czech team's hopes and send Croatia into Zagreb for Celje Eurobasket championship" you would have been more happy?

By the way Zagreb is only 1:45 from Celje.

agibson

Quote from: chef on September 09, 2013, 10:29:42 PMESPNU/ESPN3 usually would mean both outlets.

Hasn't this sometimes meant "we'll decide later whether it's on ESPNU, or _only_ on ESPN3"?  I think all of the ESPN (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) games are _also_ on ESPN3.  But, they require a subscription.  So, generally, if a game's live on ESPNU you can watch it live on ESPN3, but only if your network provider pays for the ESPNU access (e.g. if you have cable internet, these seems to be an issue of whether your TV subscription covers ESPNU).

Quote from: bbtdsEven if you aren't subscribed to any ESPN channels you can watch the broadcasts in their "Replay" section.

Ah, this could be good to know.  If I'd known it I'd forgotten.

Radio-only vs. TV later... Hm...

Unfortunately, having checked, it's still no-ESPNU on TV for me at home.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on September 10, 2013, 10:44:38 AMhttp://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/12903/crusaders-announce-2013-2014-mens-basketball-schedule/

Four home games during Thanksgiving?  Not good for student attendance.  Potentially good for me and my family, if we're in town...

Only one during Christmas break, it looks like.

And only one (plus the tournament, of course) during spring break.

It seems like there's a _lot_ of matinees and other game times that look appealing for me, with young kids.  Should be fun!

Kyle321n

Here's a link to an ICS file for the schedule.  This will work for Google Calendars, iCal for Apple devices, and Microsoft Outlook calendars.  If it doesn't work let me know, but I've tested it on Google and Microsoft.

https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/tcsv0ao2lh890uf6j2u3oqako4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpopal

Quote from: Kyle321n on September 10, 2013, 04:20:55 PM
Here's a link to an ICS file for the schedule.  This will work for Google Calendars, iCal for Apple devices, and Microsoft Outlook calendars.  If it doesn't work let me know, but I've tested it on Google and Microsoft.

https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/tcsv0ao2lh890uf6j2u3oqako4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

Thanks, this was helpful!

bbtds

I noticed were not playing Rio Big Bread after all that talk of Bevo and his scoring records.

justducky

I think we need to look at this years schedule in reguard to its effects on future year scheduling.

Since neither the release or Bryce gave any details of additional contractual return games, would it be safe to assume that only Ball St, James Madison and ETSU (along with New Mexico and Eastern Kentucky) are our only locked in 2014-15 OOC opponents? If someone could confirm this I will have more to say on this in a later post.

Yes the OOC strength of schedule will be very impressive since North Park, Southeastern, and Cincinnati Christian  will disappear from the RPI record as if they never happened but unfortunately the attendance for N.P.and C.C. will also be as if they never happened. Neither am not convinced  that their level of play will help develop our bench. So in 12-13 we needed a strong OOC schedule and settled for a terrible home lineup just to try to find it. This year our strength of schedule may be more important to Wright St. and Green Bay than to us because when or if we come around most of us would think that it is apt to be late in the season and after some early season struggles.

What do you folks think? Has this years schedule laid any groundwork for future scheduling success? I hope that in the future we do not look back at 2013-14 and view it as a model to try and repeat.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on September 10, 2013, 10:18:56 PM
I think we need to look at this years schedule in reguard to its effects on future year scheduling.

Since neither the release or Bryce gave any details of additional contractual return games, would it be safe to assume that only Ball St, James Madison and ETSU (along with New Mexico and Eastern Kentucky) are our only locked in 2014-15 OOC opponents? If someone could confirm this I will have more to say on this in a later post.

Yes the OOC strength of schedule will be very impressive since North Park, Southeastern, and Cincinnati Christian  will disappear from the RPI record as if they never happened but unfortunately the attendance for N.P.and C.C. will also be as if they never happened. Neither am not convinced  that their level of play will help develop our bench. So in 12-13 we needed a strong OOC schedule and settled for a terrible home lineup just to try to find it. This year our strength of schedule may be more important to Wright St. and Green Bay than to us because when or if we come around most of us would think that it is apt to be late in the season and after some early season struggles.

What do you folks think? Has this years schedule laid any groundwork for future scheduling success? I hope that in the future we do not look back at 2013-14 and view it as a model to try and repeat.

Not necessarily. Two D1 non conference games (Saint Joseph's 3198 Robert Morris 2546) drew better than 5 D1 opponents last year (Northern Illinois 2445 Chicago State 2477 Bethune-Cookman 2088 IPFW 2179 IUPUI 1644). While the November 30th non conference game against Cincinnati Christian is questionable, I have no problems playing 3 of the first 4 games against non D1 opponents when the entire starting lineup from last year is graduated. I also think playing non D1 opponents is MUCH better than playing Chicago State and IUPUI... and the attendance figures against Chicago State/IUPUI/IPFW and the like are horrible anyways. So it's better to not take the RPI/SOS hit and schedule a better mid major like Mercer or James Madison instead.

As far as attendance goes, I'll be shocked if this isn't the best attended season since joining the Horizon. This is due to a variety of factors, but the main ones are... 1. The best attended seasons in any sport ever come AFTER a championship year, not during. This is regardless of a teams record the subsequent year. 2. Valpo plays ONE weekday OOC game. This is against UCF, a team from the AAC - conference home of the defending champion. 3. Competition is much better. SLU, Murray State, and LMU are good teams. 4. Valpo has some good ideas to bring in attendance, finally. Retiring Bryce's number, raising the banner are going to bring in a lot of attendance.

SOS and scheduling opponents isn't a new problem. Playing non-D1 teams isn't new. Valpo's had this problem forever. I really like this schedule in comparison to other years... I wish last year's team was here for this schedule, but if each year is like this, I'd be happy. This is the first year since joining Horizon that there's multiple games to get excited about at home. Purdue and Akron were nice games to schedule, but the rest of the schedule was always littered with long acronym'ed schools. Our D1 OOC home games are all teams with past success and should be interesting, competitive games.

agibson

Quote from: wh on September 08, 2013, 08:35:29 AMLook for a complete schedule breakdown with Valpo basketball head coach Bryce Drew on next week's Inside Valpo Athletics.

First priority, scheduling nearby teams to reduce the travel?  Really?  Hard to believe.  But, I'm sure he's just keeping the explanation simple.

EddieCabot

Quote from: chef on September 09, 2013, 10:29:42 PM

Thanks, chef.  As a follow up, does anyone know how much revenue the Horizon League generates from the ESPN deal and how that revenue is split?

valpopal

I did some quick research online and discovered Homer Drew's first official game as Valpo coach seems to have been Nov. 24, 1988 at Butler. (Valpo lost 83-53 but came back later in the season to beat Butler in a home game by 104-83.) Therefore, this November we will be celebrating a 25-year silver anniversary of Drew leadership (Homer, Scott, and Bryce). The closest game to recognize this milestone will be VU's home game against James Madison on Saturday, Nov. 23.

valpopal

As we get ready for the new season to begin, a recap video from last season. (My musical taste suggests that you turn the volume down except for the excerpt when Chef calls Ryan's shot.)

2012-2013 Valpo Men's Basketball Highlight

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on September 12, 2013, 08:29:04 PMAs we get ready for the new season to begin, a recap video from last season.

Nice video!  Very well done.  Fine music too.

As my wife says, what are we going to do without all those guys?!

vu72

Very cool. I can't wait till we show the world we didn't miss a beat!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015