• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, May 10, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

You guys have seen the games on the Alumni site, haven't you?     

Some of the conference road game dates are set....and there is a Ball State game in Muncie.   

For some really foolish reason, there is no cross over between the alumni and athletics websites. 

vu84v2

Valpo opens on Friday night, November 8th, at home against Murray State.  Good opener with school in session.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: crusadermoe on August 19, 2013, 06:46:14 PMFor some really foolish reason
Does seem foolish, but I'm guessing it's a product of
a) not wanting to release the schedule piecemeal, as some have done (looks weird, St. Louis), and
b) wanting to prime the pump for road alumni events as soon as possible
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

chef

I think when the schedule is complete it will be released. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned, and I believe it's a done deal, is a game at Illinois in mid-November.

wh

With all the connections we now have to the state of Illinois - 5 players, 2 asst. coaches, heavy recruiting - a game against Illinois is a great fit.  I wonder if it's 1 game only, home and home, 2-for-1?

historyman

Quote from: wh on August 20, 2013, 01:04:49 PMWith all the connections we now have to the state of Illinois - 5 players, 2 asst. coaches, heavy recruiting - a game against Illinois is a great fit.  I wonder if it's 1 game only, home and home, 2-for-1?

I just don't see Groce coming to the ARC.

A game at the United Center would be practically an away game.

I really can't think of a venue, besides the ARC, that truly favors Valpo.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

I wouldn't mind playing Illinois in the next few seasons.  Much better than when they were very good several years ago
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Hey Apostle, I can see the desire to hold back the schedule release until full.   That makes sense and the teased out alumni dates also do.

What I have found odd over the past 10 years is that you can never go directly from the "alumni" portion of the site to the athletics part and back easily in a prompted way.

That seems really strange for a place that gains big chunks of identity from the hoops program and also links a lot of alumni events to the games.   In the business world, a company in Valpo's market position  would have done that overnight in 1998 shortly after "the shot."  At least the website looks great now.  It used to be pretty primitive.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: crusadermoe on August 20, 2013, 09:50:32 PMWhat I have found odd over the past 10 years is that you can never go directly from the "alumni" portion of the site to the athletics part and back easily in a prompted way.
You are also right about this, but perhaps (in this at least) the internet mirrors real life, in which it is difficult, nay, painful and impossible for an alum to go back to college and recapture the experience :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ml2

For those of you piecing together the schedule you can add two games (home and away) against the UCF Knights of the new American Athletic Conference.

http://www.ucfknights.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/ucf-m-baskbl-sched.html

Also, I know that Alumni Relations has plans to make sure that their events are more accessible from the athletics website this season.

milanmiracle

So just looking over these posts, the only possible BCS team is Illinois? I hope I missed something and there's more than 1.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

Kyle321n

Quote from: milanmiracle on August 22, 2013, 09:27:09 AM
So just looking over these posts, the only possible BCS team is Illinois? I hope I missed something and there's more than 1.

We only had one scheduled last year, and really I think as long as we get some of the top teams from mid-major conferences our schedule will be tough enough.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

milanmiracle

Quote from: Kyle321n on August 22, 2013, 09:34:17 AM

We only had one scheduled last year, and really I think as long as we get some of the top teams from mid-major conferences our schedule will be tough enough.

And how did that work out with NCAA seeding?

It also does nothing for the Horizon League or brand awareness.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

a3uge

Quote from: milanmiracle on August 22, 2013, 09:43:22 AM
Quote from: Kyle321n on August 22, 2013, 09:34:17 AM

And how did that work out with NCAA seeding?

It also does nothing for the Horizon League or brand awareness.

How did Montana playing 1 BCS team help THEIR seed? Seeding was based on geography, not 40 point blowouts to UNC or Ohio State. When they can, they move teams a couple seeds if it means a shorter trip. It happened to Davidson and Valpo, as well as others, and it didn't have anything to do with BCS scheduling.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on August 22, 2013, 10:21:42 AMHow did Montana playing 1 BCS team help THEIR seed?

and BOOM goes the dynamite.

anyway--EXCITED about the UCF series, as that's in O-town where my in-laws are.

Short of an FGCU series (Which would be sweet) that's about as good as I can hope for, seeing as I had to work the night of the NIT game in Miami.

valpotx

I don't get the home and away series in the same season against a non-conference opponent.  We did it with Chicago State for a season or two after they 'left' the Mid-Con, to help them with scheduling.  I don't understand why we don't have one game this year, and the following game next year?

I like our schedule with them on it though, as they have been decent over the last few seasons.
"Don't mess with Texas"

sliman

The UCF schedule shows they have games on successive nights, so perhaps we're playing in a "tournament" there in exchange for a game here.  Just a thought.  Also, a team playing UCF's schedule should be nearly as good for our RPI as a "BCS" team.

LaPorteAveApostle

sigh...maybe should have checked the schedule before I exulted.

December 22...not many church musicians who are going to visit the in-laws then.

BRING ON FGCU

mvandersee

It appears that Sliman is correct; the game is listed on the UCF schedule as part of the "Jackson Hewitt UCF Holiday Classic". I would assume that Valpo would receive a 2nd game in this as well since UCF is listed as playing both Rio Grande (Dec. 21) and Valpo (Dec. 22). However after googling the name of the tournament I was unable to find more info on the this Holiday Classic and any other potential teams.

valpotx

That apparently explains why we are playing the terribly named Rio Grande...located in freaking Ohio...still can't get over this
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU75

Take comfort in how it would drive a Frenchman crazy to see that cowboy hat on top  of the Eiffel Tower in Paris Texas.

And add Robert Morris to the schedule as the second exhibition game Saturday November 2.

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 19, 2013, 08:56:46 AM
Thread has gotten confusing...to recap the relevant data:

Home
Rio Grande (exhibitionist)
North Park (exh.; Trey Parker & Matt Stone were unavailable)
Kent State (next year?  we're not on their schedule: http://www.kentstatesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball)
Saint Louis (not announced...yet? http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93215&SPSID=632626)
Murray State
Loyola Marymount

Road
IPFW
IUPUI
EKU (probably next year?)
ETSU

Exempt tournament:
OHIO! -- Away
Mercer -- Home
Evansville
Alcorn St.

IPFW is not on the schedule this year, and many at IPFW are not too happy about it.  IPFW head coach Tony Jasick has put together a really watered down schedule this season which should allow him to win 20 games. Most home games have been moved from the Memorial Coliseum back on campus to the Gates Center and that is the rumored excuse used by VU for not playing here this coming season.  I personally believe the game could have been played but Jasick just did not want to stick his neck out with a quality opponent. They will have one of the weakest schedules in Div I.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Looks like LMU will be in town for a Dec 14 2:00 P.M. game. Wonder if that means it might get some kind of ESPN coverage?

VU75

Quote from: VU75 on August 24, 2013, 07:57:33 PMAnd add Robert Morris to the schedule as the second exhibition game Saturday November 2.

That would be NAIA Robert Morris Chicago.

ARCInsider

Well, the new AAC is not in those 6 traditional BCS conferences, but it more or less is a replacement for the Big East.  Yes, the new Big East exists, but it is not a football conference.  The AAC includes UConn, Cincy, among others...if we were playing UConn, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

Not crazy about a home and home in the same season, but UCF is a quality opponent.