• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL 2nd Round - Valpo vs Milwaukee 03/07/14 Friday 8:30 p.m. CT - game thread

Started by a3uge, March 06, 2014, 11:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

If he grabbed his jewels, he should have told Bryce, and Bryce should have told the officials...
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: Valpofan00 on March 08, 2014, 11:04:51 PMAnd Green Bay goes down!!!
Sykes and Brown neither 100% but still a fine performance by a UWM team who is putting it all together when you need to get it done. Very good job by Jeter as well.

valpotx

If we want a postseason bid, we should hope that WSU wins.  That would put WSU in the NCAA, GB in NIT, and CSU/Valpo/possibly Milwaukee in the CBI/CIT
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Green Bay will not get an at large bid. Here's why:

Their RPI now is the same as what Valpo ended up last year. Belmont even has a better RPI than Green Bay. The thing they have going for them is a great win vs Virginia, but when you don't schedule any road games, your sos is going to look pretty bad. Their two ooc road wins were South Dakota, a summit league team with a losing record, and Chicago State. The only other road game was a loss vs EMU. The only way for mid majors to get at large bids is to have an RPI in the 30s, like MTSU a couple years ago. Losing in the semi finals didn't help UWGB either... Maybe if they lost to CSU in the finals, but right now I see virtually no chance of them ending up as an at large. Maybe they have an argument against Arkansas and Nebraska, but if one weird team ends up winning the WCC, A10, MWC, MVC, etc then there's an even smaller chance.

wh

Quote from: Valpofan00 on March 08, 2014, 11:04:51 PM
And Green Bay goes down!!!

Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2014, 12:16:41 AM
Green Bay will not get an at large bid. Here's why:

...refers to the principle of causality where intent and actions of an individual influence the future of that individual. Good intent and good deed contribute to good karma and future happiness, while bad intent and bad deed contribute to bad karma and future suffering.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/horizon/2013/04/30/wisconsin-green-bay-brian-wardle-abuse-allegations-ryan-bross/2123569/

classof2014

I would imagine the HL would get no better than a 15 seed for the tournament. If UWM wins probably a 16 seed. I am glad that GB isn't the team representing the HL in the tournament based on the all the issues surrounding Wardle.

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on March 09, 2014, 10:31:28 AM
I would imagine the HL would get no better than a 15 seed for the tournament. If UWM wins probably a 16 seed. I am glad that GB isn't the team representing the HL in the tournament based on the all the issues surrounding Wardle.

Wright State has a worse RPI than UWM. Both wouldn't be any higher than a 15 seed, unless a bunch of top teams lost their conference tourney. Wright State had a horrible OOC schedule and lost to North Carolina A&T. Milwaukee is the 5th seed in the 5th seed in the Horizon. Neither has a quality OOC win. Wright States best OOC win was Bowling Green at home. They lost every OOC road game. UWM has a better OOC resume, but the SOS is still really low. Their best OOC win was Davidson, still out of the top 100. They do have two road wins vs green bay, which has pushed the up.

Also, the selection committee seems like they only look at Geography and RPI for seeding 1 bid leagues. FGCU had beaten Florida last year, but they were still a 15 seed. They don't really look into injuries, a late season hot streak, playing good teams close, etc. J Palm has Wright State in as a 16 seed in his bracketology.

Also I agree with yours and wh's sentiments on Wardle. Not a good person, not a good coach. GB fans had the excuse machine going all season and never wondered why they can't play through adversity.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2014, 12:16:57 PMAlso I agree with yours and wh's sentiments on Wardle. Not a good person, not a good coach. GB fans had the excuse machine going all season and never wondered why they can't play through adversity.
Yeah, I was as disappointed / embarrassed as anyone by the events and revelations of last summer.

But short of Detroit vs. Oakland, I don't think I could pick two teams I'd less like to see in the title game.  It would have been nicer for GB to carry our banner.  I mean, "wright state" versus "the university of wisconsin at milwaukee"?!!???   YECCH.

I know HC is with me on this at least.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: classof2014 on March 08, 2014, 09:26:08 PMAt least he's the only one who seemed to be hustling every play in this game as well as the UWM game.

Wasn't "this" game also a UWM game? I'm confused by which game Carter also hustled every play in.

LaPorteAveApostle

oof.  i can't remember too many game flows with this static slope.

basically they jumped out and stayed that way.  never much more, but never much less either.

oof.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Just watched the replay mid-2nd half, and here's what I saw:

Previous possession, Carter guarded Tiby, and pretty intensely.  When he stole the ball off a rebound and headed up court, Tiby reached (barely legitimately going for the ball) as he crossed the half-court line.  It was hard to determine that he meant to pull an Ivan Vujic, but the camera was on the wrong side.  The refs never looked at that part of the play because they had no reason to.

The rumors are plausible, but hard to discern intent.  I did not see a similar move during the Peters 3-pter.

HC

I'm with ya, Ave....these are my least favorite teams in the league. They aren't fun to cheer for. I do t like the players I don't like their fans and I definitely don't like one of the coaches. Regardless of who wins, I hope their 2nd seeded opponent pounds hem into the ground.

chef

I'll root for Donlon everyday of the week. He gets the most out of his talent, and is incredibly candid. He's great to have in the Horizon League.

vu72

Quote from: HC on March 09, 2014, 05:09:20 PM
I'm with ya, Ave....these are my least favorite teams in the league. They aren't fun to cheer for. I do t like the players I don't like their fans and I definitely don't like one of the coaches. Regardless of who wins, I hope their 2nd seeded opponent pounds hem into the ground.
[/b]

Great idea.  That certainly will help the image of the Horizon League.  Look, we need to realize that these teams are just better than we are, at this point in time. Donlon beat us twice and easily.  He has a senior dominated team.  Milwaukee has played out of their minds and Jeter has done one heck of a job.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on March 09, 2014, 06:28:42 PM
Quote from: HC on March 09, 2014, 05:09:20 PMI'm with ya, Ave....these are my least favorite teams in the league. They aren't fun to cheer for. I do t like the players I don't like their fans and I definitely don't like one of the coaches. Regardless of who wins, I hope their 2nd seeded opponent pounds hem into the ground.
Great idea.  That certainly will help the image of the Horizon League.  Look, we need to realize that these teams are just better than we are, at this point in time. Donlon beat us twice and easily.  He has a senior dominated team.  Milwaukee has played out of their minds and Jeter has done one heck of a job.
Would that be your definition of being a "realist?"
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

As much as I don't like wardle and believe he's not qualified for the job, Green Bay had the best chance to get win in the NCAA.  And thats what the HL needs.  Money and recognition in the NCAA with upsets and wins. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: chef on March 09, 2014, 05:14:50 PMI'll root for Donlon everyday of the week. He gets the most out of his talent, and is incredibly candid. He's great to have in the Horizon League.
Total agreement about Donlon, but somebody at WSU needs to take some blame for their weak scheduling. While we are on the subject, on many different levels I also have great respect for all the HL coaches which includes Brian Wardle. There is no way that he deserves the level of vilification that many have directed towards him.

vu72

Quote from: historyman on March 09, 2014, 07:09:15 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 09, 2014, 06:28:42 PM
Quote from: HC on March 09, 2014, 05:09:20 PMI'm with ya, Ave....these are my least favorite teams in the league. They aren't fun to cheer for. I do t like the players I don't like their fans and I definitely don't like one of the coaches. Regardless of who wins, I hope their 2nd seeded opponent pounds hem into the ground.
Would that be your definition of being a "realist?"

Not sure I understand the question in the context of this debate,  I want the Horizon League representative to win, or at a minimum, battle so that the winner understands our conference is not "Low Major" in any way.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

I would've pulled for CSU or GB in the NCAAs...I don't like these final 2 teams and hope they lose in their first game. I'm not telling what to pull for or that I'm right. I simply don't like these teams and will not cheer for them.

Goraiders93

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 09, 2014, 01:39:15 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2014, 12:16:57 PMAlso I agree with yours and wh's sentiments on Wardle. Not a good person, not a good coach. GB fans had the excuse machine going all season and never wondered why they can't play through adversity.
Yeah, I was as disappointed / embarrassed as anyone by the events and revelations of last summer.

But short of Detroit vs. Oakland, I don't think I could pick two teams I'd less like to see in the title game.  It would have been nicer for GB to carry our banner.  I mean, "wright state" versus "the university of wisconsin at milwaukee"?!!???   YECCH.

I know HC is with me on this at least.

Ew. Wardle is a loser and a terrible representation of the HL.

Pgmado

Quote from: chef on March 09, 2014, 05:14:50 PM
I'll root for Donlon everyday of the week. He gets the most out of his talent, and is incredibly candid. He's great to have in the Horizon League.

100 percent agree.

classof2014

Whoever represents from the HL I'll be cheering for in the tournament. I could care less if UWM or WSU won, I care though to see the conference we're in do well against the best competition in the country.

Even if GB was the team representing the HL, I would hope they would've done some damage, because I'm a fan of the conference. I do believe the two best coaches this season will be facing off in Donlon and Jeter, I still don't understand how Wardle won CoY. They were picked to finish first and they did. It's not like they were a one or two loss team either. The award should've went to Jeter, they won a total of 8 games last year and were absolutely awful and this season they were a respectable opponent and a good team until Aaron went out, now that's Aaron's back they look really good again.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 09, 2014, 11:01:10 PMEw. Wardle is a loser and a terrible representation of the HL.
*BZZZT*  Nice try.  You meant to post this in response to

Quote from: justducky on March 09, 2014, 08:18:31 PMI also have great respect for all the HL coaches which includes Brian Wardle. There is no way that he deserves the level of vilification that many have directed towards him.

We only wanted GB because we wanted a team that could advance in the tourney.  Not because we think Wardle's so great.

Although one of them might be able to win a play-in game.  But I don't think that gives a ton of money...does it give any more than a team that loses by 38 to a 2 seed in the "second" round?

Naming the HL teams doesn't seem like it makes much sense before the playoffs--much like the NFL used to do the Pro Bowl when they were just 87.5% thru the sched.  BUT since there is a tournament team, etc., it would just further devalue the regular season to wait until after the tournament.

As it is, it doesn't seem like the regular season is worth a whole lot any more.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 10, 2014, 11:04:47 AM
Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 09, 2014, 11:01:10 PMEw. Wardle is a loser and a terrible representation of the HL.
*BZZZT*  Nice try.  You meant to post this in response to

Quote from: justducky on March 09, 2014, 08:18:31 PMI also have great respect for all the HL coaches which includes Brian Wardle. There is no way that he deserves the level of vilification that many have directed towards him.

We only wanted GB because we wanted a team that could advance in the tourney.  Not because we think Wardle's so great.

Although one of them might be able to win a play-in game.  But I don't think that gives a ton of money...does it give any more than a team that loses by 38 to a 2 seed in the "second" round?

Naming the HL teams doesn't seem like it makes much sense before the playoffs--much like the NFL used to do the Pro Bowl when they were just 87.5% thru the sched.  BUT since there is a tournament team, etc., it would just further devalue the regular season to wait until after the tournament.

As it is, it doesn't seem like the regular season is worth a whole lot any more.
[/b]

Agreed, particularly when you come apart like a cheap suit in the tourney.