• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

How To Increase RPI Today

Started by Just Sayin, December 22, 2015, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

How the Crusaders Can Boost Their RPI

Iona needs to beat Santa Barbara

Game Info: 2:00 PM

Rhode Island needs to beat Old Dominion

Game Info: 6:00 PM

IPFW needs to beat Western Michigan

Game Info: 6:00 PM | TV: ESP3

Oakland needs to beat Michigan State

Game Info: 6:00 PM | TV: ESPU

Wright State needs to beat Murray State

Game Info: 6:00 PM | TV: ESP3

Detroit needs to beat Western Kentucky

Game Info: 7:00 PM

Missouri State needs to beat Southeast Missouri State

Game Info: 7:05 PM | TV: ESP3

talksalot

My Ranking of the possibility of those happening:

Missouri State needs to beat Southeast Missouri State   100%... winless SEMO, RPI 319 0-11... about says it all, MoSt favored by 27.
Rhode Island needs to beat Old Dominion   80%  ODU RPI is 218, 5-6 on the year; Rhody favored by 3 at home.
Iona needs to beat Santa Barbara  60%   UCSB RPI is 127, record is 2-7, most losses are blowouts, lost to ArizSt by 2, Gaels favored by 14 at home
Detroit needs to beat Western Kentucky   40%  Western Kentucky RPI 116; 5-5 best win vs, Stony Brook, Hilltoppers favored by 14 !
IPFW needs to beat Western Michigan   40%   Broncho's RPI 267, 3-5, they are 3-point favs at home in this one.
Wright State needs to beat Murray State   40%  Racer's RPI is 118, 4-6, lost 4-straight... RealTime has the Raiders favored by 13 at home!...(not buying it)
Oakland needs to beat Michigan State   3%  Sparty is 18-point favorite... in the game at the Palace in Auburn Hills.

SanityLost17

Quote from: talksalot on December 22, 2015, 11:21:53 AM

Missouri State needs to beat Southeast Missouri State   100%... winless SEMO, RPI 319 0-11... about says it all, MoSt favored by 27.
Rhode Island needs to beat Old Dominion   80%  ODU RPI is 218, 5-6 on the year; Rhody favored by 3 at home.
Iona needs to beat Santa Barbara  60%   UCSB RPI is 127, record is 2-7, most losses are blowouts, lost to ArizSt by 2, Gaels favored by 14 at home
Detroit needs to beat Western Kentucky   40%  Western Kentucky RPI 116; 5-5 best win vs, Stony Brook, Hilltoppers favored by 14 !
IPFW needs to beat Western Michigan   40%   Broncho's RPI 267, 3-5, they are 3-point favs at home in this one.
Wright State needs to beat Murray State   40%  Racer's RPI is 118, 4-6, lost 4-straight... RealTime has the Raiders favored by 13 at home!...(not buying it)
Oakland needs to beat Michigan State   3%  Sparty is 18-point favorite... in the game at the Palace in Auburn Hills.

Michigan State is without Valentine.  I would think that raises it to 20%.

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 22, 2015, 11:54:29 AM
Quote from: talksalot on December 22, 2015, 11:21:53 AM

Michigan State is without Valentine.  I would think that raises it to 20%.
ESPN U  6:00 Must see TV!  To develop any kind of appreciation for Oakland's talents and potential weaknesses please take the time to dial them in and watch. This doesn't look to me like the Oakland of years past! Not sure this is even the same Greg Kampe!

bbtds

Starting off poorly.

UCSB    24
Iona     10   11:01 in 1st half

EDIT: that helped,

UCSB    26                            UCSB   41
Iona     26     5:34 1st half       Iona    36  HALF

justducky

UCSB 80- Iona 76  AJ English and another Iona player were out. I don't think English played any in their close loss at Rhode Island either. Even a string of minor injuries can severely damage any teams short term results.

motowntitan

Oakland up big at the half 50-37.  Sparties have no answer for Felder

FWalum

Quote from: motowntitan on December 22, 2015, 06:59:17 PM
Oakland up big at the half 50-37.  Sparties have no answer for Felder
Second half is a completely different story.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vufan7501

MSU wins in OT 99-93. In postgame interview Izzo says Oakland a real good team, and expects them to win their league and be in NCAA tourney. No Valpo love from Izzo tonite. Of course he just came off a tough win tonite so guess I can give him a break on his comment.

a3uge

Quote from: vufan7501 on December 22, 2015, 09:09:30 PM
MSU wins in OT 99-93. In postgame interview Izzo says Oakland a real good team, and expects them to win their league and be in NCAA tourney. No Valpo love from Izzo tonite. Of course he just came off a tough win tonite so guess I can give him a break on his comment.
He's pissed CSU's sloppy seconds worked out better than Valpo's?

wh

Word is that Tom 'if I don't do it someone else will' Izzo whispered to Felder in the handshake line that if he can find a way to graduate this spring, he would be happy to make him his 3rd player stolen from the HL in the past 5 years.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on December 22, 2015, 09:22:38 PM
Given his history of using the HL like a farm team league, he may be working on a Felder transfer as we speak. Other than that I admire him as one of the games greatest coaches.

As for Oakland I now think they may be the ever so slightly better team. I already expect us to go heavily with the long armed zone and play very little man defense. Will Hooper and Felder shoot us out of it? Should be interesting!

oklahomamick

Quote from: justducky on December 22, 2015, 09:59:14 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 22, 2015, 09:22:38 PM
Quote from: vufan7501 on December 22, 2015, 09:09:30 PMMSU wins in OT 99-93. In postgame interview Izzo says Oakland a real good team, and expects them to win their league and be in NCAA tourney. No Valpo love from Izzo tonite. Of course he just came off a tough win tonite so guess I can give him a break on his comment.
Given his history of using the HL like a farm team league, he may be working on a Felder transfer as we speak. Other than that I admire him as one of the games greatest coaches. As for Oakland I now think they may be the ever so slightly better team. I already expect us to go heavily with the long armed zone and play very little man defense. Will Hooper and Felder shoot us out of it? Should be interesting!

If K. Felder fouls out, we win easy. 
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

He just got pushed to the brink by Oakland.  What did you expect him to say on the spur of the moment?

vufan7501

Maybe something like they (Oakland) are good and will contend for their league championship?

Maybe they will win the title but time will tell us about that. Valpo and Milwaukee will give Oakland solid challenges IMO.

valpolaw

Not sure if it's already been noted here and not trying to take anything away from Oakland's great game, but MSU was playing without Denzel Valentine.  If Denzel was playing in that game, I don't think it would have been as close as it was.

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpolaw on December 23, 2015, 07:59:24 AMNot sure if it's already been noted here and not trying to take anything away from Oakland's great game, but MSU was playing without Denzel Valentine.  If Denzel was playing in that game, I don't think it would have been as close as it was.

Like wise, I'm not taking anything from Oakland but Oakland probably played to their fullest potential, they hit their ceiling that game.  Once they added their transfer at semester, they improved a lot. 

Our 2nd and 3rd conference games are on the road to Oakland and Detroit.  In previous years the most difficult road trip was the Butler-Valpo.  Now its  the Oakland-Detroit. 
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: valpolaw on December 23, 2015, 07:59:24 AM
Not sure if it's already been noted here and not trying to take anything away from Oakland's great game, but MSU was playing without Denzel Valentine.  If Denzel was playing in that game, I don't think it would have been as close as it was.
You are most likely correct, but I doubt that Bryn Forbes goes off for 32 with Valentine on the court.  Forbes really stepped it up and took up the slack.  Oakland has a very nice one two punch with Felder and Walker. Going to be a war when we meet them.

Just have to say that the number of fouls and the inconsistency with which they are called on both sides has got to be frustrating for the players.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Oakland should be a top 50 RPI team playing the #1 team like that - but they're only expected to be a 79 RPI. They have a ~7% chance of being a top 50 RPI team :crazy:

Valpo is in good shape come tournament time - either for an at-large or good seed. As it stands now, they'll have a ~13% chance at a 25 RPI or lower (which is crazy!) and an ~82% chance at a 50 RPI or lower (which is also crazy!). If Valpo beats Belmont again, they'll hopefully have 5 top 100 RPI wins (@Oregon State, @URI, @Belmont, Belmont, Iona) with Oregon State being a top 50 team. There's been teams in the 20-30 RPI range that have missed the tournament, but none of them had decent OOC wins. If Valpo splits Oakland and then loses in the conference tourney, they'd have an RPI of around 30, which would definitely be enough... but they'll probably drop a couple more games in there. If Valpo loses 2 conference games (and one in the conference tournament), the RPI goes to about 38, and if they lose 3 + the conference tournament, RPI goes to about 45, which would still give Valpo an outside shot, but not very likely to get an at-large.

But it's a little early to talk about this. So much can change with injuries or a bad shooting night vs a bottom team.

talksalot

and with the cloud-covered daylight...
the Valpo Nolan RPI and Real-TimeRPI is 22, SOS 79; Top 100 wins... IPFW,ORE, OREst, Belmont.
Other OOC RPI:
IPFW 83
Iona 160
Rhody 125
Oregon 18
Oregon State 35
Belmont 92
Ball State 279
Indiana St 171
Chicago St 269
Missouri State 239

Oakland has RPI of 81 and SOS 178,  has one top-100 win: Eastern Michigan, Univ Washington is now #108).
Detroit has RPI of 68 and league-best SOS of 16, has no top-100 wins)
Milwaukee has RPI 139, SOS 205, has no top 100 wins (Wisconsin is 109)

talksalot

I'm watching the Cleveland State / Bowling Green "game"... CSU is 3-17 in the second half from the field.... at the Wolstein center... Falcons 52-38 with 3:00 to play...

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on December 23, 2015, 01:39:50 PM
and with the cloud-covered daylight...
the Valpo Nolan RPI and Real-TimeRPI is 22, SOS 79; Top 100 wins... IPFW,ORE, OREst, Belmont.
Other OOC RPI:
IPFW 83
Iona 160
Rhody 125
Oregon 18
Oregon State 35
Belmont 92
Ball State 279
Indiana St 171
Chicago St 269
Missouri State 239

Oakland has RPI of 81 and SOS 178,  has one top-100 win: Eastern Michigan, Univ Washington is now #108).
Detroit has RPI of 68 and league-best SOS of 16, has no top-100 wins)
Milwaukee has RPI 139, SOS 205, has no top 100 wins (Wisconsin is 109)

The expected RPIs might tell the better story - it'll take into account the remaining schedule and uses sagarin's predictor to simulate thousands of seasons: http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Valparaiso.html

IPFW (110.9)   Sum   H   78-64   W
Iona (115.5)   MAAC   H   83-58   W
Rhode Island (77.3)   A10   A   55-58   W
Oregon (25.0)   P12   A   73-67   L
Oregon St. (50.7)   P12   A   57-63   W
Ball St. (207.2)   MAC   A   69-66   L
Belmont (78.8)   OVC   H   61-57   W
Indiana St. (170.0)   MVC   A   63-69   W
Chicago St. (313.6)   WAC   A   53-71   W
Missouri St. (263.3)   MVC   H   74-45   W
Belmont (78.8)   OVC   A

atkins

Valpolaw is correct -- MSU was short a key player.  Oakland played exceptionally well.  In light of our inconsistency lately, MSU blows us out by 15+ with Valentine in the lineup.  However, we would have a real chance against the Butlers of the top 25. 

oklahomamick

Now the Grizzly board is talking of a possible at-large bid.   :crazy:
CRUSADERS!!!

Chairback

Moral victory for Oakland.  I'm giving them no love. I have confidence with T Walker and his ability to defend Felder.  They live and die with Felder being able to hit acrobatic shots to win or get to the free throw line.  If Peters is having an off day we have 7 others guys who can explode for points.

This "almost" victory will focus our guys even more when we play them.