• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Games #6 & #7 - Looking ahead to Savannah: Kent State (Friday) & UNCW (Saturday)

Started by VULB#62, November 21, 2017, 10:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Just setting the stage. You guys might set up game threads but there is no break between games.

We open with Kent State  (3-1). They just lost to SELU 66-70. Their record so far:

YSU - Won - 111-78
Ohio Christian - Won - 90-45
Miss Valley State - Won - 80-67
SELU - Loss - 66-70

Then we play UNC Wilmington......

NC Wesleyan - Won - 105-81
@ Davidson - Loss - 81-108
Campbell - Won - 88-84

What's the forum prognosis?

PS:  if you'd like I can change the icon to a game thread instead just let me know.

valpotx

Valpo 82
Kent State 67

Valpo 85
UNCW 73
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

talksalot

I was thinking about Kent when I didn't go with undefeated for November in the poll.  Not worried about it now.  Bring home the trophy..
Vu  83 ksu 62

Matt won't run it up on UNCW.  79_69

agibson

Seems like VU Athletics is confirming no video from Savannah. 95.1 will be on the air, should be Todd on the call. The 95.1 call will apparently be available via streaming audio.

The game will not be video streamed, but as always can be heard live on WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) and online at ValpoAthletics.com.

My sister has a place here where we're spending Thanksgiving, so we'll be part of the VU contingent in the stands. There's an alumni event planned that, at last check, had 30 or so registered. (Update: 36 people - which could be for floor seats, and/or for the reception. And I think I recognize at least two other names from the message board. Hopefully we'll have more than that in the cheaper seats - where most of my family will be sitting.)

It does look like two W's are a  very real possibility. Teams have hung with Valpo for 30 minutes, but it does feel like our crazy deep bench lets us run away in the end.

Will be interested to see when we really get tested. Utah State? Purdue? This Friday?

humbleopinion

Quote from: agibson on November 22, 2017, 09:21:04 AMSeems like VU Athletics is confirming no video from Savannah. 95.1, and presumably streaming audio.

Does this mean the game will be on none of the media listed or that  the games will only be available through WVUR?
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

Quote from: agibson on November 22, 2017, 09:21:04 AM
Seems like VU Athletics is confirming no video from Savannah. 95.1, and presumably streaming audio.

agibson

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 22, 2017, 09:25:53 AM
Quote from: agibson on November 22, 2017, 09:21:04 AMSeems like VU Athletics is confirming no video from Savannah. 95.1, and presumably streaming audio.

Does this mean the game will be on none of the media listed or that  the games will only be available through WVUR?

Sorry for the short hand - could have been clearer. I've corrected it above. Streaming audio and 95.1 FM only, no video. Per ValpoAthletics (that's for the Friday game, but presumably will be the same Saturday).

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 22, 2017, 09:21:04 AMWill be interested to see when we really get tested. Utah State? Purdue? This Friday?

If Utah State doesn't test us than shirley (yes, I called you shirley) Purdue will not only test us but possibly blow us away with those dreaded big men with athletic skill that we will not have faced until then. We certainly aren't a team without weaknesses. Let's not sleep on Kent State or UNCW either because if we feel superior and take them lightly those teams can sneak in and steal one.

valpo84

The last time we played Kent was an OT thriller in Kent.  It was the intentional missed FT, rebound put back to tie at the buzzer game.  Is my memory fading or was it Kevin VW who rebounded the put back? Refreshed my memory -- Buggs missed FT, KVW put back https://dks.library.kent.edu/cgi-bin/kentstate?a=d&d=dks20121119-01.2.27#

Oh, and to think, that wasn't the most exciting buzzer shot of the year.... 8-)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

SanityLost17

It would appear that UNCW is the stronger of the 2 teams.   Probably a good thing that we play them the 2nd day since our strength is our depth. 

However, I have a feeling that we might struggle in 1 of these games and lose.  Not sure which one.  Hope I am wrong.   

covufan

We win both, but the UNCW game will be close until the end.

Valpo  81
Kent    66

Valpo  80
UNCW  72

valpolaw

I'm expecting the games this weekend to be closer than the recent games. Planning to attend in person at the Kent state game and looking forward to it. Hoping for another nice big win but won't be surprised if it's a close game.

valpolaw

Are there any alumni events in savannah? If so could someone please post the details? Gracias

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpolaw on November 22, 2017, 10:29:56 PMAre there any alumni events in savannah? If so could someone please post the details? Gracias

Quote from: agibson on November 22, 2017, 09:21:04 AMMy sister has a place here where we're spending Thanksgiving, so we'll be part of the VU contingent in the stands. There's an alumni event planned that, at last check, had 30 or so registered. (Update: 36 people - which could be for floor seats, and/or for the reception. And I think I recognize at least two other names from the message board. Hopefully we'll have more than that in the cheaper seats - where most of my family will be sitting.)It does look like two W's are a  very real possibility. Teams have hung with Valpo for 30 minutes, but it does feel like our crazy deep bench lets us run away in the end.Will be interested to see when we really get tested. Utah State? Purdue? This Friday? « Last Edit: Today at 09:45:24 AM by agibson »

Maybe this helps?

VU2014

Quote from: valpolaw on November 22, 2017, 10:29:56 PM
Are there any alumni events in savannah? If so could someone please post the details? Gracias

https://alumni.valpo.edu/s/1347/17/page-1col.aspx?sid=1347&gid=1&pgid=2181&cid=5086&ecid=5086&crid=0&calpgid=906&calcid=2190

Savannah Invitational Basketball Tournament

Come join the Valparaiso University Alumni Association at the Savannah Invitational Basketball Tournament on Friday, November 24 and Saturday, November 25.

The tournament will be played in the Savannah Civic Center, 301 W. Oglethorpe Avenue, Savannah, GA 31401.

On Friday, November 24th
5 p.m. Loyola versus University of North Carolina, Wilmington
7:30 p.m.   Valpo versus Kent State

On Saturday, November 25th
5 p.m. Loyola versus Kent State
7:30 p.m. Valpo versus University of North Carolina, Wilmington

Valpo has a block of floor tickets good for all four of the games for $100 each. These seats are in Box 27, rows A,B, and C.

The VUAA is also hosting a reception at 3 p.m. on Saturday, November 25 at the Hyatt Regency, 2 West Bay Street, Savannah, GA 31401.

The reception will feature a Low Country spread of Spiced Peel and Eat Shrimp, Oysters on the Half Shell, Crab Balls, Shrimp and Grits, Roasted Garlic Salt and Pepper Ribs, Sweet Potato Tots with Peach Ketchup and an Antipasto Station. The reception includes a hosted bar and the cost is $30 per person.

Register online or by calling 219.464.5142
Contact Information
Primary Contact

Alumni Engagement
1100 Campus Dr S
Valparaiso, IN 46383
alumni@valpo.edu

VULB#62

It is great that there is a VUAA event and a reserved block of tix for the weekend. Really it is.

However, like other such events, its marketing and promotion seem to be rather passive. I do not recall getting a Valpo blast email about this (or other such events in the past). Even though I wouldn't even be able to attend, i would welcome those kinds of communications just to let me know what's going on around the country. It would also contribute to a bit of Valpo pride knowing we are doing those kinds of things.

I realize that, maybe, there may have been VUAA posts earlier on social media like FB and Twitter, but I do not follow either one, though I might check from time to time. Personally, I'd like to see more proactive contact directly to me. But that's just me.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 23, 2017, 09:01:14 AM
It is great that there is a VUAA event and a reserved block of tix for the weekend. Really it is.

However, like other such events, its marketing and promotion seem to be rather passive. I do not recall getting a Valpo blast email about this (or other such events in the past). Even though I wouldn't even be able to attend, i would welcome those kinds of communications just to let me know what's going on around the country. It would also contribute to a bit of Valpo pride knowing we are doing those kinds of things.

I realize that, maybe, there may have been VUAA posts earlier on social media like FB and Twitter, but I do not follow either one, though I might check from time to time. Personally, I'd like to see more proactive contact directly to me. But that's just me.
I think they target the east coast and southern alumni when they do the email blast. If an alum will be in the area or is willing to travel to Savannah from the midwest then they probably already know to go the VUAA website to look for the events.

https://alumni.valpo.edu/s/1347/17/page-1col.aspx?sid=1347&gid=1&pgid=906

This is a good page to bookmark.

Here is the event at Arch Madness that I'm looking forward to.

Alumni and friends will gather for a reception on March 1, 2018 from 4pm-6pm in the Crystal Ballroom of the Marriott St. Louis Grand.

VULB#62

vu72

Quote from: valpolaw on November 22, 2017, 10:21:37 PM
I'm expecting the games this weekend to be closer than the recent games. Planning to attend in person at the Kent state game and looking forward to it. Hoping for another nice big win but won't be surprised if it's a close game.

Were you able to buy one game tickets?  I'm on Hilton Head and would love to go to the game Saturday but so far only four game packages are available and $100 for one game is a little to steep.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpolaw

Vu72, I haven't bought tickets yet. I'm going to do it later today. I checked the savannah invitional wesbite and you can buy tickets through the wesbite and print them at home for free or pick up at will call for a couple extra dollars. It looks like they have tickets going for $20 and $10 for the day and I think it gets you into both games the day you go. I think you have to get separate tickets for each day if you plan to go to both days. Not a bad price overall.

wh

The spread: Valpo -6.5

Kent State is picked to finish 2nd in the MAC East behind Buffalo. Western Michigan and Ball State are picked 1 and 2, respectively in the MAC West.

VULB#62

Seeing as today is Game Day, I've now changed the thread icon to a game icon.

vu84v2

Valpo's first test away from home against a higher quality mid-major. Close game, but Valpo pulls it out in the end with key defensive stops late.

Valpo 81
Kent State 77