• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Games #6 & #7 - Looking ahead to Savannah: Kent State (Friday) & UNCW (Saturday)

Started by VULB#62, November 21, 2017, 10:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Can Kent stay with our speed, athleticism and depth?

Also intrigued with how Loyola does.

bbtds

I think our depth really is the key. Teams that stay close for 30 minutes eventually wear out in the last 10 minutes or so and we start increasing the lead with some truly athletic play by Evelyn, Golder, Bradford, Burton, McMillan, etc. It is so exciting to see how athletically talented we are in large numbers.

Valpo  91
Kent State  72

When we come up against a team that pulls ahead of us by 7-10 points for 30 minutes I truly would love to see us come storming back in the last 10 minutes and pull out a squeaker. Now that would be fun.

VULB#62

Question from the Stupid Question Department:

If both Loyola and Valpo win out, who is the Savannah Invitational winner?  I do not believe there is a "championship" game. Co champs? Tie breaker?  Margin of victory? What?

Also, part of this tourney included SWLU and Samford. Where did they go?  Thanks for the memories and disappear?  What if both had beaten the two MVC teams?  Do they advance or are they just fodder? 

wh

My understanding is they decide alphabetically in descending order by first letter of the university name. If both universities begin with the same letter, the tie-breaker is first letter of the team name in ascending order. It appears to be well thought out and completely fair.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 24, 2017, 12:27:17 PMIf both Loyola and Valpo win out, who is the Savannah Invitational winner?  I do not believe there is a "championship" game. Co champs? Tie breaker?  Margin of victory? What?Also, part of this tourney included SWLU and Samford. Where did they go?  Thanks for the memories and disappear?  What if both had beaten the two MVC teams?  Do they advance or are they just fodder? 

I believe this article explains most of your questions.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/11/10/16215808/2017-savannah-invitational-primer-loyola-chicago-valparaiso-uncw-kent-state

VULB#62

valpopal

How did we get perhaps the only tournament that doesn't have any kind of opportunity to watch video (TV, Cable Sports, ESPN-3, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) for the final two on-site games?  ??? 

VULB#62

And Loyola took down UNCW 102 - 78.

VU2014

VU2014

Our big guys are in foul trouble. 2 fouls for both smits & sorolla. Linssen is already in the game at 15:00 in 1st half. 6 team fouls. Its a struggle in the early going. The refs are very quick with the whistle. 11 total fouls.

kent state 11
valpo 7
12:40 left in the 1st half

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on November 24, 2017, 04:24:30 PM
How did we get perhaps the only tournament that doesn't have any kind of opportunity to watch video (TV, Cable Sports, ESPN-3, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) for the final two on-site games?  ??? 

We said "yes" and either didn't get invited to another tournament or said "no" to the other tournaments.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

Quote from: historyman on November 24, 2017, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: valpopal on November 24, 2017, 04:24:30 PM

We said "yes" and either didn't get invited to another tournament or said "no" to the other tournaments.

Apparently there was suppose to be a ACC opponent in this tournament but apparently they dropped out of it. It is a bit annoying that there is no stream. It's 2017. But I appreciate Todd & Aaron on the call. Both are doing a great on the radio broadcast.

Maybe the City of Savannah chose not to provide a stream because they wanted to sell a few more tickets.

VU2014

Linssen coming up big in this game. 8 points  (4-4 in 6min) & 2 REB so far. He was forced into action because of the foul trouble.

valpotx

Does anyone else get an error every time they try to listen to this TuneIn site?
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on November 24, 2017, 07:00:37 PMIt is a bit annoying that there is no stream. It's 2017. But I appreciate Todd
& Aaron on the call. Both are doing a great on the radio broadcast.

Maybe the City of Savannah chose not to provide a stream because they wanted to sell a few more tickets.

I understand your point, but I doubt that any Savannah locals would be streaming this instead of going to the game (unless they were alums of one of the teams) and the number of non-locals that would have had the lack of video actually be the deciding factor in traveling to Savannah is negligible.  The lack of video is inexcusable and I sent the event an email expressing my displeasure.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on November 24, 2017, 07:05:16 PM
Does anyone else get an error every time they try to listen to this TuneIn site?
Everything is fine here.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

This sucks, I wish I could hear how this is happening!  Linssen appears all over the place, and Kent State is turning the ball over like crazy.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpower

Man, these slow starts kill me, but Valpo's got so many different looks that you feel it's often just a matter of time before they find something that works to get back into it.  Go Marty!

VUOR63

1-9 from 3 pt range?  Sounds like too much turkey yesterday...the tryptophan is having a negative effect on the team so far!

wh

Quote from: VUOR63 on November 24, 2017, 07:27:58 PM
1-9 from 3 pt range?  Sounds like too much turkey yesterday...the tryptophan is having a negative effect on the team so far!

Terrible from 3, but 13-16 from 2.

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on November 24, 2017, 07:17:59 PM
This sucks, I wish I could hear how this is happening!  Linssen appears all over the place, and Kent State is turning the ball over like crazy.

try this one: http://streema.com/radios/The_Source_WVUR_FM

It might be your internet connection. I've had difficultly using Tune In on my phone in the past. I believe they have an app.

VULB#62

Frustrating  with just game tracker.

But it looks like we have absorbed their best effort and have begun to turn the table to our favor. It was worrisome early when they started draining 3s.