• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Is Lottich the man?

Started by elephtheria47, January 24, 2018, 10:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephtheria47

Didnt do anything last year while peters was here. Suspensions last year. JB fiasco this year. The team is getting worse....undisciplined, no passing on offense, sloppy, hardly ever a play out of a timeout. The team is very hard to watch. We dont play smart at all. Is Lottich the guy to lead Valpo??

truth219

I dont believe he is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

M

I'm not calling for his job yet, but I miss when our inbounds plays under the hoop we're designed for a quick score.

I said in another post that he needs to instill some fire and passion in this team. He has zero personality on the sideline and hasn't shown he's willing to fight for his players. Refs seem to consider him a pushover and don't give him the time of day.

I won't call his job, but I will ask that he take a look in the mirror and see if he has the personality to make these changes.

VUSL98

Lottich made a comment to the sideline reporter at the half about the team's effort and being ready to play.  Something to that effect.  Does anyone remember exactly what he said?  It struck me as the type of comment from someone who is very frustrated with his team.

VU2014

WAY to early to be having this conversation.

It's fair to criticize but think this is way to premature. Give the man at least 4 years.

Important Factors to consider:
-look at the amount of roster turnover from last season to this season
-After losing Joe we are one of the least experienced rosters in the Nation
-He lost 1 NBA player and 2 other pros and another senior
-4 true freshman (it's fair to criticize if he recruit to many raw/non-contributors)
-Lost a former Top 100 recruit midseason and is when thing started to slide. Joe was arguably the most talented player on the team.
-His arguably best player went down with mono for 4 games and we all know mono is a lingering sickness that saps energy. Tevonn probably hasn't been playing 100%
-Kiser goes down with a bad ankle injury for 6 games
-1st season in a brand new conference

It's fair game to be critical but this is just too much for me. I don't even want to have this conversation till after at least the 2018-2019 season and even then I would never advocate to fire a guy before 4 years. Plus that will never happen at Valpo. This is a unfair conversation, especially given the circumstances.

valpopal

I have been a supporter of Matt Lottich, and I am not going to change yet; however, as I said in a previous post: "I have said it before, Lottich is too passive with the officials. The terrible foul call on Joseph followed by the quick technical foul call should have been enough to trigger Lottich. Hell, maybe he would even ignite the team by showing them he has their backs." Now, I just watched the postgame conference, and I was very disappointed in Matt's passive response to a question by Paul about the fouls called on Joseph. Matt refused to question the official where Max got "hammered" (to use Paul's description) but was the one called for the foul, and he then suggested Max was to blame for the quick technical call by the official, though Matt didn't know why the T was called. ("My guess is Max said something, but I don't know," Matt speculated.) He certainly didn't have Max's back with those comments.

elephtheria47

For the record, I'm not calling for Lottich job. I think be should be given at least 3, if not 4, before a decision likes that should be considered. However, I think it's perfectly fair to wonder if the right man is sitting in the chair. I hope he is the right man. But i don't know if he is.

There have been plenty of challenges. However,  the team is not improving and the team is just not playing smart. That falls on coaching. We just got ran over by a team with the same record as us,  on our home court. We are not adapting and every team figures us out. In retrospect, did that happen last year too when we played teams 2,3 times? I shudder to think what happens when we lose walker.

He's still getting his coaching feet wet-- hope we stop treading water.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on January 24, 2018, 10:39:23 PM
I have been a supporter of Matt Lottich, and I am not going to change yet; however, as I said in a previous post: "I have said it before, Lottich is too passive with the officials. The terrible foul call on Joseph followed by the quick technical foul call should have been enough to trigger Lottich. Hell, maybe he would even ignite the team by showing them he has their backs." Now, I just watched the postgame conference, and I was very disappointed in Matt's passive response to a question by Paul about the fouls called on Joseph. Matt refused to question the official where Max got "hammered" (to use Paul's description) but was the one called for the foul, and he then suggested Max was to blame for the quick technical call by the official, though Matt didn't know why the T was called. ("My guess is Max said something, but I don't know," Matt speculated.) He certainly didn't have Max's back with those comments.

In addition, why didn't Matt insist the officials look at the monitor to see if there was a flagrant foul when Max was tackled around the head and poked in the eye?

[tweet]956368100349407232[/tweet]

nkvu

Having watched the tape of the call on Max, I cannot believe coach Lottich didn't go ballistic on the referee to protect his player. I'm not sure what his strategy is regarding establishing himself in the league this year but my sense is that he wants to be a "nice guy" to the officials. Unfortunately what that translates to is there are no consequences to them if they blow a call that adversely impacts Valpo.

Might it not be better, since the team is going nowhere anyway this year, to send a message that he is not going to let his players be abused without a demonstrative reaction?  Living in the Cincinnati area for many years I've seen the effect Bob Huggins had on referees in terms of getting favorable calls for his team.  Yes, Huggins was and probably still is a jerk in a lot of ways, but he was effective when it came to protecting his players. Coach Lottich could use a little of that.

If the coach doesn't show any passion, why should his players?

oklahomamick

I think most agree that pulling the chair out from underneath him is premature but it does look like it should be going in that direction.  And we stated the reasons why.  I don't have new reasons but will remind everyone that he was our 3rd choice and with little experience. 
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Good nights sleep tells me to make judgements at seasons end.  If coach has the goods, we will continue to see more consistent competitive games.

I don't think we earned another Drew level coach in year 2.  We aren't a coaches destination gents, we are a middle of the road team.  In mid major realm, we are on an upward trajectory but HARDLY at a place where we can expect a winning season in a premier conference line the MVC.

I'm patient but guaranteed if I posted last night this wouldn't have been so patient of a post!!!!

NativeCheesehead

A thread questioning the head coach's job less than two seasons in.

Congrats, guys. With the Drews gone we have officially become every other fan base in the country.

bbtds

It has been happening among the fans in the stands at the ARC long before this thread ever started.

My estimation of the quality of Bo Boroski as an NCAA ref went down about half after last night. He seems to have been moved down among the refs on the NCAA ladder of refs. He seems to be adjusting but not in a good way. These refs do pay attention to the media.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11792191/college-basketball-referees-disciplined-accessing-unauthorized-information-per-sources

Just Sayin

It would be great to see some progress. Even if you lose, it would be great to see the team getting a little bit better each game. I'm not seeing this. Everyone who has a professional job has a ongoing performance evaluation given at different time intervals. The purpose is to look at strengths and weakness and to determine a plan of action for improvement. It would be premature to say that Matt is not the guy at this point. Give him time to improve. Perhaps he will, perhaps he won't or can't. But it is every coach's responsibility to show some progress in preparing the team to play better each game, win or lose regardless of the inexperience or youth of the team. I think Matt needs to find out how to do that because I just don't see it happening at this time. That might change, but not overnight. He shouldn't have to fear losing his job. He feels just as badly as the fans about losing and I'm sure he's trying his best to solve the problem. If this lack of progress continues for a couple of more years, then it's probably time to make a change.

VULB#62

Might this help with some perspective?

Matt - Year 1  = Overall 24-9, HL 14-4, Tied for 1st regular season

Bryce - Year 1 = Overall 19-16, SEC 10-8, 7th of 14 teams

Matt - Year 2 = Overall 11-11, MVC 2-7, Last of 10 teams

Bryce - Year 2 = Overall 7-13, SEC 2-6, Last of 14 teams

M

This is a good visual.  How about Bryce year 1 and 2 at Valpo?

NativeCheesehead

I'm sure Bryce is drying his tears on the print outs of his yearly budget.

FWalum

This thread should either be ignored or removed.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUBBFan

If we were still in the Horizon, this may not of even come up. There I'm sure we would have had a little more success.

Still this is a young team that lost a veteran Player (and position). Next year will primarily be a Junior class with a few more good additions. The year after will be a senior class. That is when we should really be looking for accountability. If we are still struggling at that point, then we can start this conversation in earnest.   

Just Sayin

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 25, 2018, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: FWalum on January 25, 2018, 12:34:30 PM

Why?
I truly believe you already know the answer to your question.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Just Sayin

Quote from: FWalum on January 25, 2018, 02:59:17 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on January 25, 2018, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: FWalum on January 25, 2018, 12:34:30 PM

Why?
I truly believe you already know the answer to your question.

I see nothing wrong with fans discussing on an open message board how they see the performance, good or bad, of players and coaches.  People's thoughts shouldn't be censored. Both players and coaching staff and anyone else should have thicker skin, or perhaps they do already and it's it those who perceive otherwise who don't give them credit for being able to handle some tough criticism. I'm guessing most players and staff don't even come to this message board anyway and couldn't care less about being criticized, constructively or otherwise.

crusadermoe

I refuse to join in this questioning of Lottich at such an early point.  Smits is improving under Gore, just a lot  more slowly.   His natural ability just makes it more annoying.  The guards play hard for Lottich.  Sometimes too hard (and not smart) as some have noted.

vuny98

Being a New York Giants fan, I can say sometimes a removing a coach less than two years in is more than warranted. When you see a sinking ship and a team going the wrong direction fast, it is more than appropriate to make a move quickly. And I am one to give coaches A LOT of leeway in most cases.

Now, I in no way think that this is the case with Lottich. He needs to improve sure, but much of the issues with this team are due to the team being young and issues outside of his control. The team plays hard and they are in most games, even if the final score doesn't always show it.

Now that being said, I see no issue with this thread, raising the question and having a healthy debate on the subject. Maybe some do feel we have a sinking ship and Lottich needs to go. We can all disagree but silencing an opinion just because you don't agree with it is not the answer. I mean were not democrats (sorry I had to)...

VULB#62

I'd like to steer this thread in a slightly different direction. I hope you guys will join in.

This is a second trying year for a rookie coach (and he can still be considered a rookie, especially when you factor in the conference switch). I won't repeat the adversity history and the unstable, changing environment he is dealing with. Many veteran coaches would go bonkers with what Matt has had to deal with. He is a fine human being. He has a genuine love for his players and he, by all accounts last year, demonstrated that he could coach.

Why not spin this thread away from the negative and, just like in business, focus on opportunities and suggestions for improvement to HELP him rather than tear him down?

My first suggestion:  Matt has got to ditch that somber face in interviews and regardless of the result at least not look like a deer in the headlights. In his weekly with Todd lately, he looks like he does not want to be there. Those are things his players pick up on. He has got to be more positive even as things go south, otherwise the kids take that on as well. And that impacts play.

Second suggestion:  i agree with other posters. No more Mr. Nice Guy on the game floor. As a player he was a fire brand. Coach the same way. And maybe carry that over to the practice floor as well. A little tough love every now and then goes a long way and is often appreciated.