• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #27 - Sunday Feb 11 3pm ARC - vs Illinois State on ESPNU

Started by VU2014, February 09, 2018, 12:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

It's a Gold-Out on Sunday! A nationally televised game.

The 2nd place Redbirds will be riding a 4 game winning streak into the ARC Sunday afternoon. ISUr also might be a man down. Phil Fayne unfortunately rolled his ankle late in the game tonight. He had 24pts & 9 REB against VU a few weeks ago. With Fayne and Evans possibly out I think we can pull out the win at home against a shorthanded ISUr.

Only 3 more home games left! Let's make them count!

https://twitter.com/CoachRagsVU/status/961834662908739586
https://twitter.com/ValpoU/status/961707388926652416

crusadermoe

ON GOLD DAY we need some take offs from GOLDER...aka "Flight Number Five".   

Not much to lose at this point and we need crowd energy early .   

So  what if he misses a couple or draws foulds.   We also need big payback to ISU for the ESPN posterizing of Mileek.

covufan

Can we claw back to 0.500 for the season?  It would take either four wins in the remaining five games, with another loss in Arch Madness.  Or three wins in remaining five games, then two wins in Arch Madness.  With three home games and Drake on the road, anything is possible.  We need to play well at home, on national TV.  We need to rebound!

Valpo   74
Ill St     67

underdawg

As a Saluki fan, I would certainly appreciate you guys beating the Deadbirds (aka ISU Redbirds) to help us out a bit. They beat us in overtime last night at Normal to tie us. Our depleted team roster---4 of our guys played over 40 minutes :( and one of our starters played 44 of the 45 minute contest. I'm afraid lack of numbers is going to do the Salukis in at St. Louis (3 games in three days)

a3uge

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 09, 2018, 10:16:09 AM
ON GOLD DAY we need some take offs from GOLDER...aka "Flight Number Five".   

Not much to lose at this point and we need crowd energy early .   

So  what if he misses a couple or draws foulds.   We also need big payback to ISU for the ESPN posterizing of Mileek.
GOLDAIR!

talksalot

Perhaps just a Splash of Gold-air?  Shaken, not stirred.

M

VUGrad1314

Quote from: underdawg on February 09, 2018, 12:19:29 PMAs a Saluki fan, I would certainly appreciate you guys beating the Deadbirds (aka ISU Redbirds) to help us out a bit. They beat us in overtime last night at Normal to tie us. Our depleted team roster---4 of our guys played over 40 minutes :( and one of our starters played 44 of the 45 minute contest. I'm afraid lack of numbers is going to do the Salukis in at St. Louis (3 games in three days)

Assuming good health, your Salukis are going to be fantastic and fun to watch. I just hope Barry puts together a challenging enough schedule worthy of a team that I think could have at-large potential.

VUGrad1314

We need this one... Home crowd, depleted Redbird roster(I think they'll be without 2\3 of their big three) National TV. Fans and students need to show up here. This Redbird squad still has a ton of talent even despite the injuries, although much of it is raw. It won't be easy (no game in this conference ever is) but we can win this game. Go Valpo!

bbtds

nkvu

Quote from: bbtds on February 09, 2018, 11:22:37 PM
Illinois State    62
Valpo              57

Walker/Smits/Sorolla will each pick up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game, yet Valpo will take a 30 to 27 lead into the half. Valpo will unfortunately fail to score in the first 8 minutes of the second half while Walker/Smits/Sorolla pick up their third foul. ISU will maintain a 6 point lead most of the second half based on a three to one free throw advantage when Valpo mounts a serious charge with a minute and a half to go. With a chance to tie with 45 seconds Valpo bricks a 3 from 30 ft. with 20 seconds on the shot clock. Forced to foul, ISU makes all their free throws while Valpo is called for charging each time they try to go to the rim making the final score ISU 62 Valpo 57. ISU goes 12 of 22 from the line while Valpo goes 4 of 7.

In the post game press conference, coach Lottich was asked about the foul called on Max when he was placed in a full Nelson by ISU walk on Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, then tossed into the third row of the empty student section.  Coach Lottich responded that he must not have had a good viewing angle but if the foul happened as described he would certainly have given the referee a stern look. Coach lamented the lack of student support observing that a few students might have cushioned Max's landing and preventing the compound fracture of his left arm. Coach observed that Max is a tough kid and hopes to be recovered enough to play in the MVC tournament.

Having said that, if somehow it doesn't go that way and Valpo pulls out a win, I will be one happy guy to say I got it all wrong.

bbtds

Quote from: nkvu on February 10, 2018, 12:17:34 AM
Quote from: bbtds on February 09, 2018, 11:22:37 PM
Illinois State    62
Valpo              57

Walker/Smits/Sorolla will each pick up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game, yet Valpo will take a 30 to 27 lead into the half. Valpo will unfortunately fail to score in the first 8 minutes of the second half while Walker/Smits/Sorolla pick up their third foul. ISU will maintain a 6 point lead most of the second half based on a three to one free throw advantage when Valpo mounts a serious charge with a minute and a half to go. With a chance to tie with 45 seconds Valpo bricks a 3 from 30 ft. with 20 seconds on the shot clock. Forced to foul, ISU makes all their free throws while Valpo is called for charging each time they try to go to the rim making the final score ISU 62 Valpo 57. ISU goes 16 of 22 from the line while Valpo goes 4 of 7.

Having said that, if somehow it doesn't go that way and Valpo pulls out a win, I will be one happy guy to say I got it all wrong.

Correction: ISU goes 16 12 of 22 from the line while Valpo goes 4 of 7. (Subtracting FTs the score would be ISU 50 Valpo 53, which is closer to what has happened in previous games)

NativeCheesehead

This season has sapped most of the optimism out of me.

<2200 attendance
<30 non band students at the game. Most sitting

53-61 L.

justducky

Quote from: nkvu on February 10, 2018, 12:17:34 AMIn the post game press conference, coach Lottich was asked about the foul called on Max when he was placed in a full Nelson by ISU walk on Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, then tossed into the third row of the empty student section.  Coach Lottich responded that he must not have had a good viewing angle but if the foul happened as described he would certainly have given the referee a stern look.

:thumbsup:

talksalot

Quote from: M on February 09, 2018, 07:19:12 PMI think we are good on "splashes"

Still open for Suggestions... one anonymous source suggested:

"Your Name Here" 3-pointer... or "This Space Available" 3-pointer...

I COULD just say "For 3"...

crusadermoe

Aside from the those fans and students who have to give their dogs a bath, let's rock and roll with the rest of them!   Go crowd!

wh

Another student observation from our last home game. Only 8 of the 28 stood and applauded as our players were being introduced. The other 20 sat on their hands expressionless. I have never seen anything like it in the past 25 years.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on February 10, 2018, 09:11:08 PM
Another student observation from our last home game. Only 8 of the 28 stood and applauded as our players were being introduced. The other 20 sat on their hands expressionless. I have never seen anything like it in the past 25 years.

The student section leader said it on Paul's podcast. They don't know what to do. The next generation was never taught the cheers or anything. I think even the students know how sad the student section has become and it has become "uncool" to sit in the student section because it's so unorganized. From what we've heard there are students sitting in other sections. This student section needs leadership, organization and a shot in the arm.

I'm holding out hope for a solid student turnout tomorrow. They have some great student perks tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/ValparaiZone/status/962524211645440000
https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/962469990074081281

valpopal

Quote from: wh on February 10, 2018, 09:11:08 PM

Here is a reminder of what the student section should look like:

IndyEIT777

No reason why we shouldn't win today. 2 of ISU's top 3 out. Need to not turn the ball over today and need to force the ball inside. Really hope we don't go forcing up 3s like it seems like we do when we start to feel pressure from the opponents. I'd be nice to see one of our 7 footers get to 7 rebounds for once as well.

wh

covufan

The chatter on this thread is low today - are the students that are at the game doing the commenting?

McMillan starts the game and gets 2 fouls and a turnover in his one minute.  Kiser starts second half and 14 seconds in has a foul.

We are rebounding well and currently have a 10 point lead!

nkvu

I am one happy guy to say I got it all wrong!

Nice win. Hit a few threes, a few free throws, cut down on fouls.

Smaller lineup for most of the game worked tonight.

vu72

Quote from: wh on February 11, 2018, 02:57:36 PM
34 students. 21% improvement.

A pretty good crowd overall.  The students?  What a JOKE!!  As for the game, perhaps we have found the best five to play together.  Kiser, what an effort.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

TWO BIG THINGS TO CELEBRATE!!
Congratulations to the team!!!!   Great effort.  The guards and Golder were tremendous.   I loved the lob to Golder at the end. 
Kudos to the local community fans!!   The floor and the crowd looked great on television.  That had to be a shot in the arm for the team.   

EMBARRASSMENT TO ALUMNI...
I took some photos of TV screen of the student section.  I live several hours away.  I have given my last dime to the university until the student section stops embarrassing VU on TV. 

The post before mine is frightening if the students "do not know what to do."  At least stand or shout when your team is pulling away on a run for its first victory in a long time.   It tells you that very few of the CURRENT university students has watched much college basketball in their lives.  And it also says that of the ones who have, none has any leadership ability whatsoever.   Different place than I attended and Greek Life is MUCH diferent.   I will give them a break though because it is the day before Lincoln's birthday as TalksLot pointed out.