• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #30 - Tuesday Feb 20 8pm ARC - vs UNI on CBS Sports Network - Senior Night

Started by VU2014, February 19, 2018, 09:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

Quote from: VUSL98 on February 20, 2018, 10:09:23 PM
Bigs: 1 point and 9 fouls.  Please get them on a decent meal plan in the offseason.
hopefully they are on a different team next year, i see little value in them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteWhy aren't we going at Koch to get him in foul trouble sooner than that Joseph dunk attempt!!!!????

Um, we were. We just got no whistles. There was more contact on Bakari on those two missed drives near the end than *any* of the fouls on Koch during that stretch where UNI went to the line on like 8 straight trips.

vu72

When we dominate the 9th place team in the Valley, I will be heading for St. Louis.  We really laid an egg tonight, Tevonn and Max included.  We had no match for Koch and wont next year either.  I'm obviously discouraged but, I hope we can at least win a game in the Arch and make serious progress for next year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I am glad that I missed the first 15 minutes of the game, but extremely frustrated at so many of the foul calls on guys that literally had no contact.  You could read Kiser's lips heading into a media break after a foul call on him, in that 'how is that a foul?'  I never complain about officiating, but good lord, there were quite a few phantom calls.  Also, it is ridiculous that we continue to foul 3 point shooters, and had 2 in this game!  Sorolla and Smits need to learn how to play defense.  Koch owned both of them with just a little juke here and there, enough to create space for him to get the shot over them.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on February 20, 2018, 10:16:42 PM
When we dominate the 9th place team in the Valley, I will be heading for St. Louis.  We really laid an egg tonight, Tevonn and Max included.  We had no match for Koch and wont next year either.  I'm obviously discouraged but, I hope we can at least win a game in the Arch and make serious progress for next year.

Koch is a 5th year senior to my knowledge.

EddieCabot

Next year's team will have 7 juniors ... 4 of them will be in their 4th year of college.  They should be much better.  At a minimum, we shouldn't have to go through another season of the coach blaming poor performance on youth or inexperience.

VU2014

The officiating sucked but our bigs sucked more. We didn't play a great game and they weren't great either but Koch got every call tonight and schooled our bigs.

Neither team found any offensive flow. Well UNI did for small stretches but just a really choppy game. If this roster was another year older I think we would have won this game. I hate to hammer on it so much but our inexperience hurt us. We had a awful start to the game, which I was unable to see. Parker Hazen actually had to come in the game because of our foul situation in the 1st half. Crazy.

NativeCheesehead

It is a cool thing to think about. Barring a Grad Transfer, there won't even BE a senior night next year. (At least for the players.)

AranJacobs

It didn't help our bigs that they both picked up 2 early fouls. That was a death sentence for them. Then late in the game Koch is getting foul calls on fade away hook shots from the free throw line. That's after he hooked around everybody to get open. I honestly do think we are being hazed by the officials in the first year in a new conference. Hopefully it will pass over by next year but the officials have been undeniably slated against us all conference season. The loss might actually help us in the tourney though. If we can get a win in the first round we'll draw a much more favorable matchup against team we've beaten in Southern Illinois and be able to avoid Loyola. As for the future Ive seen some games that show Sorolla and Smits have a chance, but whenever they pick up early fouls, they always have a terrible game. I am sure that most of our sophomores will take a big step going from sophomores to juniors. We also have a really solid recruiting class it looks like. Next year will certainly be an huge improvement I think, but the year after next could be amazing if we avoid injury and transfers. We'll just have to see though. I think the addition of Daniel Sackey would be great if it allows Evelyn to move to the two. He shoots very well off the ball but still has a nice drive. We have had some spurts this season at the end of games where we have looked great. It all happens when we spread it out and allow the drive and I really want to start seeing more of that cause we always seem to have a lot of success with that.

justducky

Quote from: truth219 on February 20, 2018, 10:11:37 PM
Quote from: VUSL98 on February 20, 2018, 10:09:23 PM
Bigs: 1 point and 9 fouls.  Please get them on a decent meal plan in the offseason.
hopefully they are on a different team next year, i see little value in them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I was at the ARC and I walked away with some clear impressions  :o  but I will watch the replay before commenting to avoid putting my foot in my mouth.

To truth219------- I think you ought to join me.

valpopal

Foul shot disparity in two games against UNI 70-29, both games were 5 point losses.  :-X

wh

For us to make serious progress next year, we are going to need much better play at the 5 than Smits and Sorolla appear to be capable of. Neither can score with any consistency despite being bigger than everyone they go up against, they never go after rebounds, they don't know how to be physical without fouling, they're too slow to run at a shooter, after 2 seasons they still set moving screens at least once a game, and there's almost never any flow to the offense when they're on the court. What we have are 2 mid-major back-up centers chewing up 40 of our 200 minutes. If this were professional basketball, I would put 1 on waivers and tell the orher that his new role will be backing up our new center to the tune of 8-10 min./game. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works.

valpopal

Senior Night attendance, 2071, was the smallest home crowd of the year.  :(

chef

I understand the frustration with J on offense, but his defense has been stellar. He's an elite defender, which is why we shut down Bradley in the last 6 minutes on Saturday. Tough to blame him tonight, for whatever reason the officials refused to let him play defense. I think what's been extremely difficult has been the inability in so many games this year to get a fair shake from the zebras. Hopefully things will change in our second year in the league.

VU2014

Quote from: chef on February 21, 2018, 12:47:41 AM
I understand the frustration with J on offense, but his defense has been stellar. He's an elite defender

I agree for the most part. Jay is a very good defensive big man but he had a few lapses in the 2nd half (but it wasn't just him).

Smits and Jay need to take the next step in their rebounding development. They've both made strides in their own ways this season but there is a lot of room for improvement from both of them. Bigs take longer to develop then perimeter players.

justducky

I understand the frustration with J on offense, but his defense has been stellar. He's an elite defender, which is why we shut down Bradley in the last 6 minutes on Saturday. Tough to blame him tonight, for whatever reason the officials refused to let him play defense. I think what's been extremely difficult has been the inability in so many games this year to get a fair shake from the zebras. Hopefully things will change in our second year in the league.
After watching the replay yes, Jay did play very hard defense. But Carlson and Koch (both seniors) schooled Smits and Sorolla (both sophomores). The game replay also showed the refs to be much better than my initial impression. So we fought and we hustled and we still came out far short.

We so badly need an experienced 4 and another year under our belts for all the rest. I still believe that our improvements for the 18-19 season could be explosive; but a little more snap, crackle, and pop NOW would greatly improve my mood.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on February 20, 2018, 11:24:32 PM
Foul shot disparity in two games against UNI 70-29, both games were 5 point losses.  :-X

UNI deserved much of the FT disparity in this game.  They simply executed while we were steps slower on defense.

Could have used a few more fouls on them, but nothing that would have made up the disparity in attempts.  Admittedly though, in a tight game that could have been the difference.

We flopped too much, that really pissed me off.  The refs saw that and called even less offensive fouls on them for that reason.

NativeCheesehead

IndyValpo

Best foul of the night, Smits fourth I think, where he stopped Koch's elbow with his face. Personally I thought the refs were marginal at best. Despite that it was very much a winnable game. Too many good shots missed down the stretch. Max's two missed FT were huge. Had that been Bradford, this board would have been in complete meltdown.

M

Koch was very good at selling minimal contact.  He isn't even that good, not sure why he gets star treatment calls.  He also just parks in the lane and got one 3 second call all night.  There were several of his jump shot free throws where he landed on the line and they let that go too.  Oh well, a winnable game we didn't win this time.  I really thought we should've gone zone in the first half, but overall I was pleased with our effort.

VU2014

Credit to Jacobson for working the refs last night. He was in their ear on pretty much every no call. I think that played an affect on some calls. Regardless Koch played really well and owned our bigs. The foul trouble was clearly affecting us.

bigmosmithfan1

Matt is way too passive with the officials. I understand him not wanting the players to get caught up in it, but then that means the coaching staff needs to be the players' advocates. There is *plenty* of middle ground between ranting and raving at the officials constantly (which I do believe does more harm than good) and just standing idly by while touch foul after touch foul gets called on your guys, only to have no whistles blown on repeated drives to the basket with much more contact, to the tune of a 20-FT deficit in your own gym.

Jacobson was riding the refs hard and getting lots of calls in our building as a result. Take a cue.

valpopal

I think what's been extremely difficult has been the inability in so many games this year to get a fair shake from the zebras. Hopefully things will change in our second year in the league.

Chef has seen many seasons from close-up and exhibited his objectivity enough over the years that I trust him when he indicates Valpo generally has been unfairly treated by officials this season, something Paul also objectively documented in his article about foul disparity in the league.