• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #30 - Tuesday Feb 20 8pm ARC - vs UNI on CBS Sports Network - Senior Night

Started by VU2014, February 19, 2018, 09:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on February 21, 2018, 10:46:59 AM
Quote from: chef on February 21, 2018, 12:47:41 AM
I think what's been extremely difficult has been the inability in so many games this year to get a fair shake from the zebras. Hopefully things will change in our second year in the league.

Chef has seen many seasons from close-up and exhibited his objectivity enough over the years that I trust him when he indicates Valpo generally has been unfairly treated by officials this season, something Paul also objectively documented in his article about foul disparity in the league.

No respect. Sock it to me. Just a little bit. Uh huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

SanityLost17

I said before the game that I thought we match up better with Southern Illinois than Northern Iowa.    If we played Northern Iowa 10 times on a neutral floor I think we loose 7 times.   If we played Southern Illinois 10 times on a neutral floor I think we win 7 times.   

Southern Illinois fans may take offense to that.  No offense intended.  They are obviously a more well rounded team as seen by there MVC record, but head to head for some reason I think we match up well with them. 

So I figured this game for a loss.  My next bold prediction.  We beat Drake for our 1st MVC road victory.  Again, based on the eye test I think we match up better with them than a team like Northern Iowa.  Remember, I am a pessimist,  so this is indeed a bold prediction.

valpo64

I think some of us missed seeing that Matt does have  a number of conversations with the officials as they pass by our bench. I believe he has his say to the refs.  Sometimes it goes unoticed because he doesn't rant and rave like some coaches do(ex. Warddle).

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on February 21, 2018, 02:41:53 PM
I think some of us missed seeing that Matt does have  a number of conversations with the officials as they pass by our bench. I believe he has his say to the refs.  Sometimes it goes unoticed because he doesn't rant and rave like some coaches do(ex. Warddle).

It's definitely a different style. He very poised on the sideline. He'll get fired up by a big play but he won't get too angry. He's pretty tempered when disagreeing with the ref compared to many coaches. I think that's just his style. Jacobson really let it be known when he was displeased. I think he's built up some cache with the refs over the years and UNI has built a earned reputation of being fundamentally sound which may also may play into things. Working the refs for call is a art.

valpotx

Koch got bailed out by several phantom calls, so if Jacobsen was yelling at anyone, it would be the apparitions that must have been fouling him?
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: VU2014 on February 21, 2018, 03:09:59 PM
Did anyone hear or see this exchange? Was Jacobson yelling at our bench?

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/966148821649641472
https://twitter.com/brickies1988/status/966149350161297409

Yes, I saw that. I couldn't believe his whining in spite of the foul disparity.  In doing so, Jacobson has earned my opinion of him as the biggest jerk in the MVC.
Beamin' Beacons

M

Same...I wasn't sure who he was yelling at but our coaches didn't seem to pay him any attention. I also saw him asking Lottich when Koch got hurt if Valpo was the ones that pointed it out to the officials. It appeared Matt said no.

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 21, 2018, 04:05:19 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 21, 2018, 03:09:59 PM
Did anyone hear or see this exchange? Was Jacobson yelling at our bench?

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/966148821649641472
https://twitter.com/brickies1988/status/966149350161297409

Yes, I saw that. I couldn't believe his whining in spite of the foul disparity.  In doing so, Jacobson has earned my opinion of him as the biggest jerk in the MVC.

He's what the class tattletale in 4th grade looks like as an adult. Constantly buzzing in the ref's ear, yelling over at Matt (insert whiny voice here), "I'm telling; you're gonna get in trouble!"  Cant exactly put my finger on it, but there's something troubling, almost creepy about his behavior and the way he stares. I also noticed that he bears a striking resemblance to Ted Bundy.

VU2014

I'm not willing to classify the guy as a jerk. We don't know him well enough to get a feel for what he's all about yet. Maybe by next season we will. The guy is one hell of a Coach and has done a good job at UNI in his tenure there. I also can't blame him for giving a ear full to the refs and trying work them for calls later in the game. That's just part of the job. I just thought it was really weird to hear he may have been yelling at our Coaches. I didn't see it and wasn't there so I can't judge. Maybe he was yelling at the refs. I was hoping Todd may have heard the exchange because he's close to the action.

The foul differential is just astonishing between the teams in the two games and it seems like it can't just be chalked up to being a young team and being step slower on everything.

I'm looking towards the future. We can't dwell on the 2 games against them. They definitely outplayed us the first 35 minutes in the 1st game and we didn't play well yesterday, regardless of possibly not getting respect with the whistle last night. Koch went off and schooled our bigs. We as a team need to improve and find consistency for a full 40 minutes. If we didn't have one of our patented 5-6 minutes stretches of not scoring the ball we probably win that game last night. We are losing a lot of close games this season.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on February 21, 2018, 06:12:58 PMI was hoping Todd may have heard the exchange because he's close to the action.
In games that are broadcast by another major media outlet (and not just on ESPN3) Todd is sitting up behind the section I chairbacks, he is not down in his normal scorer's table broadcast position, so he would not have been able to hear any exchange between the two benches.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on February 21, 2018, 10:45:36 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 21, 2018, 06:12:58 PMI was hoping Todd may have heard the exchange because he's close to the action.
In games that are broadcast by another major media outlet (and not just on ESPN3) Todd is sitting up behind the section I chairbacks, he is not down in his normal scorer's table broadcast position, so he would not have been able to hear any exchange between the two benches.

Yup. I forgot they moved the radio broadcast up to the track. The hometown radio broadcast should be able to sit at the scorers table and move the opposing team's people up top. Just my opinion.

talksalot

There was one exchange between Matt and Jacobsen that I heard ... with some confusion...

When Koch twisted his ankle late in the game, the ref's blew the whistle to stop action and the teams went to their benches... both coaches asked each other... "I thought YOU called a time out"... when neither did, they brought the players back onto the court and play continued... there was no animosity... it was just a misunderstanding caused by no signal given by the ref. 

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on February 21, 2018, 02:41:53 PM

So you are saying that Matt gets his word in with the refs but it doesn't work well and should act more like Wardle, Jacobson, Hinson, etc because their ranting and raving gets the fouls called mostly in their favor.

valpo64

No, not at all.  Matt doesn't need to act like those coaches.  I think he gets his word in to the officials in his own manner.  I think some are making too big of a deal of how Matt condusts himself as he engages the officials.  Let Matt be Matt.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on February 23, 2018, 10:30:23 AM
No, not at all.  Matt doesn't need to act like those coaches.  I think he gets his word in to the officials in his own manner.  I think some are making too big of a deal of how Matt condusts himself as he engages the officials.  Let Matt be Matt.
Ok, fair enough. I love it when you use a similar quote to mine to make a point.