• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Micah Bradford charged with two felonies

Started by truth219, February 26, 2018, 04:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on February 27, 2018, 11:02:08 AMThe toilet is the proper disposal method for Pete's sake.

Hmmm.  Sounds like the voice of experience. Feel free to give us more details.  ;)

elephtheria47

Right, which is probably why it was amended from the initial maintaining a common nuisance to visiting a common nuisance. Now it would need to be proved "he visited the apartment knowing that they were engaging in illegal activity."

bigmosmithfan1

Hmmm... so VPD just decided to throw the book at everyone, regardless of the facts of the situation, because they were mad they had to follow the law and get a warrant? That would be... completely in character for them.

FWalum

Sounds like this case is getting weaker and weaker.  Prosecutors and Police probably do not want to give it up so soon after the arrest because the big splash and mug shot in the newspaper could leave them with egg on their face. Did illegal activity happen at that location? Most probably.... Was Micah directly involved? That seems to be more unlikely as things bear out.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: elephtheria47 on February 27, 2018, 12:22:40 PMvisiting a common nuisance. Now it would need to be proved "he visited the apartment knowing that they were engaging in illegal activity."

This all starts to feel a little like malfunctioning tail lights, or jaywalking, loitering, or open container laws...

Maybe they have their place. But, laws that are irregularly enforced make me uncomfortable.

VU2014

I'd change the title of this thread again because he's being charge with only a misdemeanor, correct?

FWalum

Should be really interesting to watch and see how this is handled by VU Administration, Athletic Department and Coaching staff.  The average Joe and Jill is not going to know as much as we have uncovered here and only go by what has been in the Main Stream Media.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

NativeCheesehead

How about changing the title of the thread to "Micah Bradford - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

vu72

Quote from: justducky on February 27, 2018, 12:19:59 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 27, 2018, 11:02:08 AMThe toilet is the proper disposal method for Pete's sake.

Hmmm.  Sounds like the voice of experience. Feel free to give us more details.  ;)

Like I said, if they watched more gangster movies they would know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voDqfVthTpA
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

[tweet]968613246122053632[/tweet]

They put out an article updating the charges.

M

It would appear he has really dodged a bullet.

VULB#62

GOOD!  For now, it is settled.  For now.  Let's go to St. Louis and win.

justducky

If I were Matt I might ask for and witness (if need be) an additional drug test.  Trust but verify.

VULB#62

I really hope these 19 and 20 year-olds can put this behind them, come together, and FOCUS.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 01, 2018, 09:08:25 AM
More information from his local newspaper.  He will play and he does do regular drug testing.

http://www.daily-journal.com/news/local/ex-bbchs-standout-arrested/article_253237a3-fed4-5dbe-b9d9-96b81e4e7bc9.html

So the "common nuisance" he visited was a teammate's apartment, where several players were assembled and marijuana was being smoked. Great.

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face.
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise), bring your alibis

VU2014

Quote from: wh on March 01, 2018, 11:18:49 AM
More information from his local newspaper.  He will play and he does do regular drug testing.

http://www.daily-journal.com/news/local/ex-bbchs-standout-arrested/article_253237a3-fed4-5dbe-b9d9-96b81e4e7bc9.html

So the "common nuisance" he visited was a teammate's apartment, where several players were assembled and marijuana was being smoked. Great.

Such a lovely face.

It didn't say other teammates smoked marijuana. The event only occurred at neighbors apartment while others were out getting food.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on March 01, 2018, 11:28:38 AM
Quote from: wh on March 01, 2018, 11:18:49 AM

Such a lovely face.

It didn't say other teammates smoked marijuana. The event only occurred at neighbors apartment while others were out getting food.

What "neighbor's apartment?"  The only reference to a residence in the article is "a teammate's apartment."

Of course it didn't say other teammates smoked marijuana. They had the good fortune of being on a food run when the police served the search warrant and entered the apartment. Otherwise, they too would have been arrested, and we would be in the midst of possibly the biggest scandal in Valpo men's bb history. The only reason it isn't a much bigger deal is DUMB LUCK.

Just add this to the multi-faceted cluster f list that is Valpo bb at present. I've never seen a season in the past 25 years in bigger need of closing the book. Before next season starts, everyone involved with this program had better do some serious soul searching, from Heckler to the last player on the bench and everyone in between. This program is suspended over a precipice dangling by a thread.

VU2014

Sorry I meant teammate's* apartment. I need more coffee.

Kids smoking pot doesn't amount to scandal for me, but it could have been one of the worst looks from a optics perspective in team history if they all got caught up in that mess. Hopefully if there were a few more people there they could have told them to quit it with the pot. I'm not excusing stupidity. Micah should reconsider who he hangs out with if he hangs around people who are that stupid to start smoking pot inside an apartment building and think no one else is going to smell it. Just completely idiotic.

Coach Lottich really needs to clean all these little things up. It's a bad look. The player leaders of the team should also be self policing in the locker room.

agibson

Regular drug testing... for performance enhancing drugs. This is news to me, in fact. And recreational drug testing... during championships? I'm not 100% sure what that means - during the NCAA tournament?

From the Daily Journal:
The NCAA mandates drug testing of college athletes.

The organization tests for steroids, peptide hormones and masking agents year-round and also tests for stimulants and recreational drugs during championships, according to the NCAA website.

Member schools also can test for these substances as part of their athletics department drug-deterrence programs.

As to wh's vision:
They had the good fortune of being on a food run when the police served the search warrant and entered the apartment. Otherwise, they too would have been arrested, and we would be in the midst of possibly the biggest scandal in Valpo men's bb history. The only reason it isn't a much bigger deal is DUMB LUCK.

I'm imagining it slightly differently. I guess while you're applying for the search warrant, you leave somebody on site to question anybody coming or going. So, I'm guessing that anybody else who had been at the apartment got, indeed, rather lucky and wasn't present when the police showed up. And, then stayed away until the whole business was resolved. Wow.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on March 01, 2018, 01:08:26 PM
Sorry I meant teammate's* apartment. I need more coffee.

Kids smoking pot doesn't amount to scandal for me, but it could have been one of the worst optic looks in team history if they all got caught up in that mess. Hopefully if there were a few more people there they could have told them to quit it with the pot. I'm not excusing stupidity. Micah should reconsider who he hangs out with if he hangs around people who are that stupid to start smoking pot inside an apartment building and think no one else is going to smell it. Just completely idiotic.

Coach Lottich really needs to clean all these little things up. It's a bad look. The player leaders of the team should also be self policing in the locker room.

So you're suggesting he stop hanging out with his teammates?  These "kids" are grown adults who know full well the optics of the situation as well as we do, and yet they either participated in it, or chose to ignore it. If he hasn't already, Lottich needs to sit the entire group down and tell them in no uncertain terms that this silly crap may be what everyone is doing everywhere - but not here. He needs to force them to make a clear choice of complete abstinence from this behavior; otherwise, take their basketball skills somewhere more understanding of children's weaknesses. Too many "kids" expect to be treated like adults - until they get get in trouble. Then they want to be coddled like children.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on March 01, 2018, 01:42:35 PM
So you're suggesting he stop hanging out with his teammates?  These "kids" are grown adults who know full well the optics of the situation as well as we do, and yet they either participated in it, or who chose to ignore it. If he hasn't already, Lottich needs to sit the entire group down and read them in no uncertain terms that this silly crap may be what everyone is doing everywhere - but not here. the riot act. He needs to force them to make a clear choice of complete abstinence from this behavior; otherwise, take your basketball skills somewhere more understanding of children's weaknesses.

Do you know his teammates were there when people started smoking? I don't think we can make that assumption. I agree Coach Lottich needs to lay down the law and say knock it off. If the Conference Tournament wasn't coming up I'd make the Micah & potentially any teammate involved run suicides and make it an absolutely excruciating practice.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on March 01, 2018, 01:50:05 PM
So you're suggesting he stop hanging out with his teammates?  These "kids" are grown adults who know full well the optics of the situation as well as we do, and yet they either participated in it, or who chose to ignore it. If he hasn't already, Lottich needs to sit the entire group down and read them in no uncertain terms that this silly crap may be what everyone is doing everywhere - but not here. the riot act. He needs to force them to make a clear choice of complete abstinence from this behavior; otherwise, take your basketball skills somewhere more understanding of children's weaknesses.

Do you know his teammates were there when people started smoking? I don't think we can make that assumption. I agree Coach Lottich needs to lay down the law and say knock it off. If the Conference Tournament wasn't coming up I'd make the Micah & potentially any teammate involved run suicides and make it an absolutely excruciating practice.

Well, if you believe Micah and his "teammate's girlfriend, they weren't smoking pot; yet, the smell of pot was strong enough that a neighbor called police, and they found pot on the ground outside the window of the "teammate's apartment."  Presumably, somebody was smoking it, unless maybe they were using it as a scented candle.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on March 01, 2018, 01:57:37 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 01, 2018, 01:50:05 PM

Well, if you believe Micah and his "teammate's girlfriend, they weren't smoking pot; yet, the smell of pot was strong enough that a neighbor called police, and they found pot on the ground outside the window of the "teammate's apartment."  Presumably, somebody was smoking it, unless maybe they were using it as a scented candle.

It doesn't take much to stink up a closed space. It's a much stronger smell then cigarettes.