• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Scrimmage with UIC 10-27

Started by Smj, October 28, 2018, 11:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

Anyone know how the team looked at the closed scrimmage yesterday?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VU2014

Quote from: Smj on October 28, 2018, 11:31:27 AM
Anyone know how the team looked at the closed scrimmage yesterday?

Paul tweeted out that Valpo won and that Bakari & Lavender played well.

Would love if one of the coaches or managers could leak the box scores for this scrimmage.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1056312982538518528

Smj

Thanks for the info....

crusadermoe

Good to hear!   

Sounds like we're locked and loaded to pounce on the Concordia University "Fighting Whomevers!"

VULB#62

I REALLY want  to know Derrick's minutes in this scrimmage. I am rooting for him to break out. At 7-2 he has so much he can give to this effort. But it is not the height that does it; it is what is in the mind and heart. What made Vashil so great?  The ability to drain the tre?  The smooth moves in the paint? Nope. It was the  desire to block every shot. The desire to establish a perimeter in the  paint and orotect it. The desire to set a solid pick and roll off it for a slam.  Please Derrik and Jay have an epiphany and follow in Vashil's footsteps for the next two years. No more whining. No more gentle giants!

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 28, 2018, 07:20:41 PM
I REALLY want  to know Derrick's minutes in this scrimmage. I am rooting for him to break out. At 7-2 he has so much he can give to this effort. But it is not the height that does it; it is what is in the mind and heart. What made Vashil so great?  The ability to drain the tre?  The smooth moves in the paint? Nope. It was the  desire to block every shot. The desire to establish a perimeter in the  paint and orotect it. The desire to set a solid pick and roll off it for a slam.  Please Derrik and Jay have an epiphany and follow in Vashil's footsteps for the next two years. No more whining. No more gentle giants!

I think it's fair to question Derrik's effort on the defensive/rebounding department. I think many times he was trying out there but put himself in poor situations to properly box out defenders and wasn't processing what was happening on defense quick enough (many times last year his teammates put him and Sorolla in bad spots on defense). Vashil's freshman and sophomore season were less than great because he was still learning the game as Smit is. Vashil's Junior and Senior seasons were special because the game slowed down for him, he put work in the weight and became more coordinated and as you said gave great effort. They are just two different types of players, imo. Hopefully Derrik can step up his game because we'll need him to in order to have a successful season.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on October 28, 2018, 09:30:53 PM

I think it's fair to question Derrik's effort on the defensive/rebounding department. I think many times he was trying out there but put himself in poor situations to properly box out defenders and wasn't processing what was happening on defense quick enough (many times last year his teammates put him and Sorolla in bad spots on defense). Vashil's freshman and sophomore season were less than great because he was still learning the game as Smit is. Vashil's Junior and Senior seasons were special because the game slowed down for him, he put work in the weight and became more coordinated and as you said gave great effort. They are just two different types of players, imo. Hopefully Derrik can step up his game because we'll need him to in order to have a successful season.

Let's think through this. It's being reported that if the season were to start today, Mileek McMillan would be our starting center. So, what does that say about Derrik, who after 3 years in the program and 2 years in uniform with dozens of starts and hundreds of minutes logged exclusively at the 5, loses his starting position to a guy 6 inches shorter, with only 1 season of collegiate experience, and who has 0 minutes of game experience at center? What must it say about Derrik's (and Jay's) lack of improvement that it has forced Matt to scrap his 2-headed monster experiment just at a time when it should begin paying big dividends? 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on October 29, 2018, 01:29:13 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 28, 2018, 09:30:53 PM

Let's think through this. It's being reported that if the season were to start today, Mileek McMillan would be our starting center. So, what does that say about Derrik, who after 3 years in the program and 2 years in uniform with dozens of starts and hundreds of minutes logged exclusively at the 5, loses his starting position to a guy 6 inches shorter, with only 1 season of collegiate experience, and who has 0 minutes of game experience at center? What must it say about Derrik's (and Jay's) lack of improvement that it has forced Matt to scrap his 2-headed monster experiment just at a time when it should begin paying big dividends?

I'm on your logic train as well.  Hopefully we are over thinking this and coach has realized the value of the 6/7/8th man off the bench.  Letting Smits and Golder mentally see the flow of the game before inserting them.

If Golder, who was arguably our 2nd or 3rd MVP last year is the 6th man again this year then maybe he sees value doing this with Smits?

After all, Smits showed progress last year in my eyes.  Just not to the level that many of us wanted (see Vashil).  Maybe a C that ranked Top Five nationally in a defensive category is as rare as an AP?

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 28, 2018, 07:15:10 PM
Good to hear!   

Sounds like we're locked and loaded to pounce on the Concordia University "Fighting Whomevers!"

Concordia Chicago Cougars

vu72

Good to hear!   

Hey!  Show some respect!  My Grandfather (class of 1908) and Father (class of 1933) studied there!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on October 29, 2018, 08:15:07 AM
Good to hear!   

Hey!  Show some respect!  My Grandfather (class of 1908) and Father (class of 1933) studied there!   ;)

Concordia University Chicago Cougars (previously known as Concordia River Forest). My Son just graduated this spring!! :dance:
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

My brother played at Concordia/R.F when they had a pretty good team even playing SIU when Walt Frazier was their star

talksalot

lest we not forget that we have a game THIS Thursday, exhibition, where some of these answers may be questioned !   we haven't played the Greyhounds since the year I graduated... our last year in the Indiana Collegiate Conference... and we beat 'em 71-70 in Hilltop...   We are lifetime 10-10 against them! 

They open with us on Thursday... and go to Muncie to play Ball State on Friday...

Scouting UIndy... Their returning players are in BOLD... this is a complete rebuild for them.  Gone are their top 3 scorers,

3    MARCUS LATHAM   GUARD 6'3" 175 LBS   JUNIOR ALTON, IL ALTON PARKLAND CC
5    TYE WILBURN   GUARD 6'0" 183 LBS   REDSHIRT SENIOR GARY, IN LAKE CENTRAL WRIGHT STATE
10    JESSE KEMPSON   FORWARD 6'7" 240 LBS   SENIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN HERITAGE CHRISTIAN  12.2 ppts 5.5 rbnds 19 blocks to lead team
11    JIMMY KING   GUARD 6'4" 175 LBS   REDSHIRT JUNIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN RONCALLI
14    CJ HARDAWAY JR.   GUARD 6'2" 175 LBS   SENIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN WARREN CENTRAL SAINT JOSEPH'S COLLEGE  8.7 ppts  59% FTs
20    JAYLIN CHINN   GUARD 5'11" 170 LBS   FRESHMAN EVANSVILLE, IN BOSSE
21    MILES WAYER   GUARD 6'1" 170 LBS   JUNIOR MCCORDSVILLE, IN MT. VERNON (FORTVILLE) HIGH SCHOOL  0.3 ppts 46 season minutes
22    JORDACHE MAVUNGA   GUARD/FORWARD 6'4" 200 LBS   JUNIOR BROWNSBURG, IN BROWNSBURG PARKLAND CC
24    RADWAN BAKKALI   CENTER 6'11" 250 LBS   SENIOR LONDON, ENGLAND BARKING ABBEY JACKSONVILLE
30    GUNNER WILDER   GUARD 6'3" 180 LBS   FRESHMAN CAMERON, WI CAMERON
31    TREVOR LAKES   FORWARD 6'7" 230 LBS   SOPHOMORE LEBANON, IN LEBANON HIGH SCHOOL   5.6 ppts 45% 3pts
32    JACOB POLAKOVICH   FORWARD 6'9" 245 LBS   FRESHMAN GRAND RAPIDS, MI GRAND RAPIDS CATHOLIC CENTRAL
33    KEEGAN NORTHERN   FORWARD 6'8" 210 LBS   REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE MARTINSVILLE, IN MARTINSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL
34    DEMARRE SIMS   GUARD 5'11" 163 LBS   JUNIOR JEFFERSONVILLE, IN JEFFERSONVILLE HIGH SCHOOL - played in 4 games, did not score

Having been UIndy's head coach for 10 seasons, Stan Gouard (pronounced juh-RARD) has lifted the Greyhound men's basketball program back to national prominence. That success has included six consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances from 2010-2016, multiple All-America honors, a No. 1 ranking from his Division II peers (2014-15 season) and 2013-14 GLVC Coach of the Year honors.

Gouard has now spent over 20 years in college basketball. The stint includes four years as a student-athlete at the University of Southern Indiana and John A. Logan College (1992-1996); seven as an assistant coach at Southern Indiana (2001-02), UIndy (2002-05) and Indiana State (2005-08); and nine as a head coach of the Greyhounds (2008-present).

Gouard led the Hounds to 19-9 in 2017-18, finishing tied for third in the GLVC with a 12-6 record. After defeating Maryville in the first round of the conference tournament, the Greyhounds dropped a semifinal contest to Bellarmine. Despite 19 in-region victories, including ones over NCAA tournament teams Bellarmine and Drury, UIndy missed the national tournament.

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: talksalot on October 29, 2018, 01:05:06 PMlest we not forget that we have a game THIS Thursday, exhibition, where some of these answers may be questioned !   we haven't played the Greyhounds since the year I graduated... our last year in the Indiana Collegiate Conference... and we beat 'em 71-70 in Hilltop...   We are lifetime 10-10 against them! They open with us on Thursday... and go to Muncie to play Ball State on Friday... Scouting UIndy... Their returning players are in BOLD... this is a complete rebuild for them.  Gone are their top 3 scorers, 3    MARCUS LATHAM   GUARD 6'3" 175 LBS   JUNIOR ALTON, IL ALTON PARKLAND CC 5    TYE WILBURN   GUARD 6'0" 183 LBS   REDSHIRT SENIOR GARY, IN LAKE CENTRAL WRIGHT STATE 10    JESSE KEMPSON   FORWARD 6'7" 240 LBS   SENIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN HERITAGE CHRISTIAN  12.2 ppts 5.5 rbnds 19 blocks to lead team 11    JIMMY KING   GUARD 6'4" 175 LBS   REDSHIRT JUNIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN RONCALLI 14    CJ HARDAWAY JR.   GUARD 6'2" 175 LBS   SENIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN WARREN CENTRAL SAINT JOSEPH'S COLLEGE  8.7 ppts  59% FTs 20    JAYLIN CHINN   GUARD 5'11" 170 LBS   FRESHMAN EVANSVILLE, IN BOSSE 21    MILES WAYER   GUARD 6'1" 170 LBS   JUNIOR MCCORDSVILLE, IN MT. VERNON (FORTVILLE) HIGH SCHOOL  0.3 ppts 46 season minutes 22    JORDACHE MAVUNGA   GUARD/FORWARD 6'4" 200 LBS   JUNIOR BROWNSBURG, IN BROWNSBURG PARKLAND CC 24    RADWAN BAKKALI   CENTER 6'11" 250 LBS   SENIOR LONDON, ENGLAND BARKING ABBEY JACKSONVILLE 30    GUNNER WILDER   GUARD 6'3" 180 LBS   FRESHMAN CAMERON, WI CAMERON 31    TREVOR LAKES   FORWARD 6'7" 230 LBS   SOPHOMORE LEBANON, IN LEBANON HIGH SCHOOL   5.6 ppts 45% 3pts 32    JACOB POLAKOVICH   FORWARD 6'9" 245 LBS   FRESHMAN GRAND RAPIDS, MI GRAND RAPIDS CATHOLIC CENTRAL 33    KEEGAN NORTHERN   FORWARD 6'8" 210 LBS   REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE MARTINSVILLE, IN MARTINSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL 34    DEMARRE SIMS   GUARD 5'11" 163 LBS   JUNIOR JEFFERSONVILLE, IN JEFFERSONVILLE HIGH SCHOOL - played in 4 games, did not score Having been UIndy's head coach for 10 seasons, Stan Gouard (pronounced juh-RARD) has lifted the Greyhound men's basketball program back to national prominence. That success has included six consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances from 2010-2016, multiple All-America honors, a No. 1 ranking from his Division II peers (2014-15 season) and 2013-14 GLVC Coach of the Year honors. Gouard has now spent over 20 years in college basketball. The stint includes four years as a student-athlete at the University of Southern Indiana and John A. Logan College (1992-1996); seven as an assistant coach at Southern Indiana (2001-02), UIndy (2002-05) and Indiana State (2005-08); and nine as a head coach of the Greyhounds (2008-present). Gouard led the Hounds to 19-9 in 2017-18, finishing tied for third in the GLVC with a 12-6 record. After defeating Maryville in the first round of the conference tournament, the Greyhounds dropped a semifinal contest to Bellarmine. Despite 19 in-region victories, including ones over NCAA tournament teams Bellarmine and Drury, UIndy missed the national tournament.
We played them in 2015-won by 8
We played them in 2009-lost by 5Both exhibitions of course
They lost 3 starters from last year, we should win by 15+

wh

Good to hear!   

So, were you going through a rebellious stage when you broke the tradition? You were part of the hippie generation, after all.  ;)

vu72

Quote from: wh on October 29, 2018, 11:48:31 PM
Good to hear!   

So, were you going through a rebellious stage when you broke the tradition? You were part of the hippie generation, after all.  ;)

Not really. Actually followed my brother to Valpo.  At the time, you only went to Concordia if you wanted to be a teacher and I had bigger, more lucrative aspirations!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015