• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #18 Valpo @ Loyola 1/15/19 7pm NBCSN Chicago/ESPN+

Started by VU2014, January 13, 2019, 11:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sliman

Chicago Tribune takes note of the Tuesday game.  No way is it under the radar.  I suspect Loyola feels this is the game that they reestablish themselves as the league's best.

http://digitaledition.chicagotribune.com/html5/desktop/production/default.aspx?pubid=3e7227b1-e3b7-4fac-aa07-5f943e58b4c5

oklahomamick

We used to beat up on this Loyola program all the time.  It's time we get back to doing just that.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

valpopal

First Vegas odds have Loyola as 9.5 favorites. Hoping Valpo proves them wrong again!

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on January 14, 2019, 02:53:11 PMFirst Vegas odds have Loyola as 9.5 favorites. Hoping Valpo proves them wrong again!

Vegas usually knows more than us and generally gets the numbers right. BUT------if Fazekas can compete-----that is a bet that should be taken. Mortgage the house, the business or the farm and place your bets.  :thumbsup:

vuny98

Have there been any updates with Fazekas? Has he been practicing?

EddieCabot

Quote from: vuny98 on January 14, 2019, 03:29:30 PM

I've heard he likely won't play tomorrow.

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on January 14, 2019, 03:31:43 PM
Quote from: vuny98 on January 14, 2019, 03:29:30 PM

I've heard he likely won't play tomorrow.

I've heard they were testing his ankle out and if Ryan gave the go ahead he very well could play Tuesday. Of course, I've been wrong before.

VU2014

If Ryan feels like the ankle isn't limiting him out there and ends up playing, that would be huge. We'll need shooters to space the floor so they don't just double team the paint everytime we throw it down to Smits and Sorolla.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on January 14, 2019, 02:53:11 PM
First Vegas odds have Loyola as 9.5 favorites. Hoping Valpo proves them wrong again!

Loyola was an 11-point favorite over IL State. I thought that was ridiculously high, and it turns out it was. I wouldn't call -9.5 vs. Valpo ridiculous, but I don't think it takes into account our recent improvement on defense. Through the first 4 conf. games, we have the lowest opponent scoring average in the league. If we continue to play to that strength and hold Loyola in the mid 50's to mid 60's, they would have to hold us in the mid 40's to mid 50's to cover. I seriously doubt they are capable of that - with or without Ryan.

SanityLost17

This is a road game against the pre-season favorite who plays really strong defense and who has plenty of tape of us playing without RF.  We will have trouble scoring and I think Loyola will be prepared at home and will hit key shots throughout the game that other teams have missed thus far in our conference season.  I think an 8 point loss seems reasonable. 

Loyola 64
Valpo 56

We come away happy with the effort, happy having beat the point spread, and happy we split a tough road swing without Fazekas.   

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on January 14, 2019, 03:57:31 PM
If Ryan feels like the ankle isn't limiting him out there and ends up playing, that would be huge. We'll need shooters to space the floor so they don't just double team the paint everytime we throw it down to Smits and Sorolla.

If Ryan can not defend then he will not help us. If that is the case maybe he suits up for moral support and emergency use or not? Either way Kiser and McMillan should again receive valuable big game exposer and experience that may benefit them and us come March. Both offensively and defensively Smits and Sorolla will have to do some heavy lifting vs Krutwig. If they can fight that to a draw or better then we still have some chance for success.

Valpo2013

After a slow start in this conference as well as a rough few NC games I'm really hyped about where we are
Heading to the game tomorrow night with a few other guys
Hopefully we have a good Valparaiso presence

VULB#62

Anyone have a one-on-one matchup analysis?  Who is on Custer, et.al.; who is on.........  whoever. Howdo we match up ?  That will be the tale of the tape.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 14, 2019, 07:22:30 PM
Anyone have a one-on-one matchup analysis?  Who is on Custer, et.a. who is on.........  whoever.

I think Sackey will start out on Custer. But I think we'll see Lavender and Bakari on him later in the game. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about them defending him.

The Head-to-Head matchup I'm really intrigued to watch is the Lucas Williamson vs Javon Freeman. They're former teammates and know each other really well. I think we'lol see those two matchup tomorrow. Both are pretty polished players for underclassmen.

VUfan

Should be an up hill battle  LU66 VU 63 hope I'm Wrong  :(

VULB#62

Just an observation out of left field. What a freakin difference in pregame coverage between our former league and the Missouri Valley Conference. That, alone is worth the move.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 14, 2019, 08:21:58 PMJust an observation out of left field. What a freakin difference in pregame coverage between our former league and the Missouri Valley Conference. That, alone is worth the move.

Noticed that right away last year.

The Valley is passionate and proud. They take their teams and sports seriously, and can't get enough of them.

valpospartan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 13, 2019, 03:21:54 PM
No way anyone in the chair backs would get the Harry Potter reference.
You are correct, but we do know about Gene Kelly & Debbie Reynolds.

NativeCheesehead

This is going to be a tough one. I personally think Loyola comes out strong, we rally, and they pull away at the end. Just keep it close enough that we're licking our chops to get them in Valpo next month. To say they are a battle tested team would be an understatement.

Loyola 65
Valpo  56

M

Are Loyola games broadcast on the radio?  Our radio broadcast won't come in for me on my way home until I'm about home tonight.  Hoping Loyola is broadcast on a little stronger signal.