• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Should Lottich keep his job?

Started by NativeCheesehead, March 19, 2019, 03:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

This doesn't sound like a coach that's going anywhere... A one year hiatus is looking good for me and for my mental health. I have other things I can be focusing on if Valpo doesn't care why should I?

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1108145076738375680

NativeCheesehead

What a bullsh*t statement from Lottich.

truth219

Would have been fantastic had he ended by saying....im stepping down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Valpofan15

I think we all know MLB would never fire him. That would be another coaching hire failure on his part (of which the list is many.)

VU2014

If you're sad about the transfers today then some of you will be even mad when you hear Lottich isn't going anywhere. Buckle up because he's athletics departments guy for better or worse.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on March 19, 2019, 06:42:22 PM
If you're sad about the transfers today then some of you will be even mad when you hear Lottich isn't going anywhere. Buckle up because he's athletics departments guy for better or worse.

I'm out. See you next year. You might still catch me on MVCFans from time to time.  and I may still read but I'm not going to post as much. I'll miss you all but this is for the best. I can't take another season of Matt Lottich and this program isn't worth the time effort and energy I'm investing in it. Time to turn my focus inward and to other passions like studying languages to hopefully improve myself and become more marketable so that I can finally land a longterm career job. Go Valpo!

bigmosmithfan1

That's because our athletic dept. always does everything on the cheap and it's finally caught up to them. They're gonna circle the wagons rather than act as responsible stewards of the program.

ValpoDad89

I think it would've been better to stay radio silent for the next few days and really think of something more positive to deliver than respond to the fallout with that. Or heck just stay radio silent period. Not a good look (or read).

justducky

I just signed a petition to legalize medical marijuana in Indiana. All of us might need this prescription to stomach mens basketball for the 2019-20 season.
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 19, 2019, 06:23:06 PM
Live look at the ADs office:

Maybe we can move, enlarge and update the AD's office into a sealed fireproof facility where we can legally address our medical marijuana issues. Properly planned and executed it could be our biggest ARC improvement in decades.  :thumbsup: Think of it as a modern day bombed shelter. Brownies would be nice! 

elephtheria47

Next year can still be "alright." Sackey, gordon, fazekas, golder, and sorolla is still a solid foundation. Allegedly, Bradford is gone as well, but the bleeding has got to stop there. It'll be interesting to see who they can land this offseason. Life as a mid major sucks right now with the current transfer rules. I dont know if ML is the guy or not, but, if there were alot of "ego" and "me" going on, that's hella tough situation,  even though I know it's his job to get through it. It's tough to remember that ML hasnt recruited a lot of these players, but he has been around them as HC for 2 years so that is concerning. I'm not too concerned about Bakari or smits, but Freeman really hurt. I thought he was the piece going forward. Grab a grad player or three this off season and roll out players who are team first and see what happens. If its more of the same, then see ya.

VUGrad1314

I have to get this out: I know nobody else would have done any better because our BOR\BOT are terrible for athletics but I think it's fair to ask what exactly MLB brings to the table... Yeah the conference moves but he didn't hire the people responsible for them. No sport consistently contends there's rarely any exciting athletics related fund raising (which may not be his fault). I know be careful what you wish for and I'm not calling for his job I just think it's fair to ask partly because I simply don't know. He's probably the greatest AD we've ever had or ever will have but given our history that isn't saying much. In moments of extreme turmoil like this nobody is above scrutiny.

bigmosmithfan1

Man, that statement is infuriating and I was prepared to be infuriated when I started reading it.

usc4valpo

That was not a BS starement - what would you expect him to say?

NativeCheesehead

I think MLBs legacy is on the line with the next couple of years. I don't necessarily hold the non success of the non revenue sports against him per say. (Although the hires there don't inspire much confidence.)

Right the ship and you're taking your rightful place in the Hall of Fame next to your predecessor. (Assuming he makes the 20 year threshold) Otherwise you'll be known as the guy who pissed away the legacy of DI success.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 19, 2019, 07:19:31 PM
That was not a BS starement - what would you expect him to say?

How about one I or me or one ounce of ownership of this mess from our "head coach" It's always something else with this guy. The buck never stops with him. That's the problem.

mj

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 19, 2019, 06:28:55 PMThis doesn't sound like a coach that's going anywhere...

:censored: this guy. Seriously. He's a grown ass man, yet all he has are bs excuses. It doesn't surprise me that players are leaving.

We were tired. We were hurt. We had laundry to do. Now players are leaving because they want to achieve their personal goals?

Look in the mirror my dude. You're a  :censored: coach. You are the problem.
I believe that we will win.

Just Sayin

This is the beginning of the end of Valpo Basketball as we know it.  Sad but true.

vu84v2

I could have accepted this statement as being somewhat reasonable IF Freeman were not transferring. I cannot imagine a plan going forward in which Freeman would not be a key part. One of your primary jobs as a college coach is to attract and retain good talent. I don't think that they will fire him, but I would support it if they did.

Valpo89

I've been around VU basketball for a long time. Homer's consecutive years of 5-22 5-22 and 4-24 were bad. But there was hope for the future back then, with Redmon and Schmidt coming in and then Bryce. Plus at the time Tracy Gipson was an excellent player and very fun to watch, even with all the losing.

The last three years have produced  more wins than those three years, but I haven't had much fun watching Matt Lottich teams. And after today, I have little hope for the future of VU basketball under the current regime.

valpolaw

Sad state of affairs going on with this program. If I were in charge, I'd clean house and hit the restart button. Usually the hardest thing to do is the right thing.

Or maybe we give Lottich one more year and then when he underperforms again we can replace him with Bryce after Vandy shows him the door. Who the hell knows at this point. What a mess. The AD has complete ownership of this current situation too because it's all happened on his watch/oversight

NativeCheesehead

So the general consensus in the few hours since I started this thread is that while most of us agree we need to make a change, that change won't be made. Hard to argue with that.   

So maybe the next question that should be asked is who should hire the next coach, whenever that may be?

VUGrad1314

Meanwhile Belmont wins its first ever tournament game. Murray State keeps humming along and we're in shambles... I look like a fool right now for supporting Valpo to the MVC.

In my defense though I overestimated Lottich we didn't know he was this bad at the time (gosh darn it this roster should have competed especially this year. It wasn't a talent problem.) And I undetestimated the degree of apathy and inertia from the administration\board. It was and remains absolutely the right move if we get off our_________________sses and fight to compete. Now is the time. Take action. Do something. These programs aren't just gonna lie down and let us beat them up like many in the HL did. We need to fight. We need to compete if we're going to survive in and be a credit to this league. If we don't we'll be a long-term perhaps permanent burden.

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 19, 2019, 10:56:03 PMIt wasn't a talent problem.

It was a talent problem.

If you wish to say the coach is responsible for the talent level on the roster then the coach should be looked at as a contributor but my guess is that the issue(s) run beyond the coaching staff with the players. That is players who are recently on the roster, currently on the roster and may have passed up opportunity to ever be on the roster.

Let's start. You're a Division I basketball candidate. Likely not a P5 guy but at least a good player at a mid major or, EUREKA, a really good player at a mid major. Why you looking at Valpo or rather why should you listen to them? Facilities? Support for program? Conference? Campus life? Surrounding area? Academics? Coaching staff? Only Div I offer? What are you checking off?

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 19, 2019, 10:34:40 PM
So the general consensus in the few hours since I started this thread is that while most of us agree we need to make a change, that change won't be made. Hard to argue with that.   

So maybe the next question that should be asked is who should hire the next coach, whenever that may be?

Why should any of us care? We are now all Belmont, Murray and Bradley fans.  :thewave:

VUGrad1314

Why are we rooting on the OVC teams that we want to go to the MVC again? We want them to have reasons to jump. winning as OVC members doesn't do that.