• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What is next for Bryce Drew?

Started by Mikeminnc, February 16, 2020, 03:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Impressive.

I read that GCU became non-profit in 2018, and it's students are eligible to participate in federal student aid programs, like any other N-P. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYlpUqqLv4Q

vu84v2

GCU is not a non-profit. In November 2019, the U.S. Dept. of Education rejected their non-profit request because of the shady arrangements between GCE (the remaining for profit side) and GCU (the intended new 'non-profit side). I have posted the Dept. of Education's explanation in other posts. Their students cannot apply for federal student aid programs per that decision.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 18, 2020, 12:11:04 PM
GCU is not a non-profit. In November 2019, the U.S. Dept. of Education rejected their non-profit request because of the shady arrangements between GCE (the remaining for profit side) and GCU (the intended new 'non-profit side). I have posted the Dept. of Education's explanation in other posts. Their students cannot apply for federal student aid programs per that decision.

They have been approved by the IRS and the State of Arizona as a 501(c)(3) non-profit; thus, they have N-P tax status. The Dept of Education does not consider them N-P, so take your choice.

GCU students are also eligible for federal student aid through FAFSA. I guess I'm wondering what is your point?

Chairback

Ouch. I didn't realize the teams that are in that conference.   He's taken a big step backwards from Valpo.  Two games a year  vs Chicago State Cougars......

I guess the grass is not always greener.  If he stayed and continued to recruit like the players he got at Valpo he'd be the king of the MVC. 

valpo95

Quote from: Chairback on March 18, 2020, 06:16:32 PM
Ouch. I didn't realize the teams that are in that conference.   He's taken a big step backwards from Valpo.  Two games a year  vs Chicago State Cougars......

I guess the grass is not always greener.  If he stayed and continued to recruit like the players he got at Valpo he'd be the king of the MVC. 

Hold on a minute, he received a six year, $16.3M salary. He would not have that by staying in the MVC.

VUGrad1314

Are we absolutely certain that Bryce would have taken us to the status of king of the MVC immediately? It's a tough league and a big step and he did pretty well against the MVC when he was here but it's very different to play these teams in November and December than it is to play them in January and February.

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 18, 2020, 04:34:06 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 18, 2020, 12:11:04 PM

They have been approved by the IRS and the State of Arizona as a 501(c)(3) non-profit; thus, they have N-P tax status. The Dept of Education does not consider them N-P, so take your choice.

GCU students are also eligible for federal student aid through FAFSA. I guess I'm wondering what is your point?

There are plenty of tax and legal questions surrounding this and similar situations. I get everything that vu84v2 has said and has linked concerning GCU. If a jury were somehow required for such a case I don't think I could be seated because I think my mind is largely made up already.  ;)  Either way Bryce should walk into and away from GCU with clean hands. That should probably be the only moral query concerning this thread discussion. Someday Bryce might have his judgement questioned but I am unwilling to go there now.

VUGrad1314

Seeing him in that purple shirt just doesn't feel right. It doesn't look right on him.

valpotx

Glad to see him land on his feet, and after thinking about it, this is actually a pretty good situation for him.  He can definitely push NMSU for dominance in the WAC, and then find his way to another dream job for him, such as a TCU, Wake Forest, Stanford, Northwestern, etc, which are strong academic/private schools, in a P5 conference. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

And then what? Get pushed around by the schools in that P5 league who are actually committed to being good at basketball (Stanford and possibly Wake Forest though they're usually more bad than good excepted)? I mean that's fine if you want to keep cycling like that just to collect checks but eventually that runs out and you either have to settle in as a dominant mid major coach (though failing twice at the P5 level would be bad for recruiting even at the mid major level) or go into broadcasting. Still he'll make millions of dollars doing that and if that's his goal then God bless him. He is a good broadcaster and a very good coach for this level of basketball. If, however, his goal is to actually get his team to a final four and\or win a national title like he said it was when he was introduced at Vanderbilt (I could hardly contain my laughter to be honest when he said that he would get Vanderbilt to a final four), he should be aiming much higher than the schools you listed. He got his mistake\mulligan at Vanderbilt. If he leaves for another P5 job he'd better get the job done or his chances for advancement a third time are near zero.

tiny707

Didn't know every single Final Four team was a P5 school? What  about Loyola and Butler? I would want a coach that believes he can take his team to final four. A lot of people in life have laughed at the greats because no one believed they could do great things except themselves. I am sure no one thought Valpo would make it to the MVC finals this year except the  guys in the locker room.

valpotx

Bryce had the talent at Vandy to get a team to the Final Four.  He recruited insane talent to the program.  His second season was lost when their top player got injured for the year, and I think a few others went down.  I can't excuse his last season, as I didn't follow them as much in their winless year in the SEC.  If Bryce learns to coach in a manner that can beat P5 teams, he can very much turn any of the schools that I mentioned, into another Baylor.  Baylor was absolute sh!t in Men's Basketball, before Scott showed up...
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

My family was cleaning out the basement - and what better activity can you do given the situation?
We found something that I wondering where it was - a Bryce Drew NBA rookie card!
Time to go to the World Famous Gold and Silver and see if Rick Harrison will take my $500 offer!

M

Good stuff! I don't know how to post pictures but I've got a high school card of his from when they made their state tourney run. His mom was my sisters teacher (probably 25 years ago) and he came to visit and she got it signed for me.

usc4valpo

the card in the beautiful laminated holder is worth perhaps a buck! So much for $500. I can hear Rick Harrison respond -  "uh... no"

usc4valpo

valpotx - I need to keep conversations going during these times.

Scott Drew has been outstanding at Baylor, elevating the team and program in a tremendously better status since he took over. I remember when he got the job, and all the Big 12 coaches were praising him - from their comments one can interpret their support assumed  Baylor being a Big 12 doormat for the long term. What happened of course was that these coaches underestimated Scott Drew's recruiting skills, and now they loathe him for recruiting top talent. Rick Barnes was loving the Drew hire, then ripping him when he was getting top Texas recruits. Iowa State fans cannot stand him and think he is corrupt - but I think nothing has been reported.

That being said, Baylor athletics have had their issues particularly with their football program and their fan base. Their fan base during the Baylor University sexual assault scandal was pathetic with their support of Art Briles.

NativeCheesehead

Love me some college sports, but the fact that Penn State and Baylor are still allowed to play football, and yet Jubril missed most of his senior year tell you all you need to know about the NCAA. 

bbtds

Hutton: Bryce Drew says getting hired at Grand Canyon during the coronavirus pandemic is 'a blessing'

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mike-hutton-column-st-041420-20200413-ysegaerrgfddxfw5tgpydejcou-story.html

Grand Canyon, which announced its hiring of Drew on March 17, isn't a good fit. Drew replaced Dan Majerle.

It's a perfect fit.

"We were really impressed with the vision and mission they have for the school and their commitment to basketball," he said. "That was a big draw for us."

"Looking back on this, I didn't know all this stuff
(shutting down of the country due to the pandemic) was going to happen when I was going out there," he said. "The timing was great. It's a blessing how it has worked out."

VUGrad1314

Unfortunate timing for Bryce Also amazing that a school like Wake Forest (one of the smallest P5 budgets in the nation) is just casually flushing $15million plus the salary for the new coach. Especially during this pandemic and the economic situation it has created this move is very surprising.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1254050181294837760

usc4valpo

DePaul should go after Manning now.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 26, 2020, 04:22:52 AM
Unfortunate timing for Bryce Also amazing that a school like Wake Forest (one of the smallest P5 budgets in the nation) is just casually flushing $15million plus the salary for the new coach. Especially during this pandemic and the economic situation it has created this move is very surprising.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1254050181294837760

I would be very surprised if Bryce was still available that he'd be a candidate there.  I think a few years of success at GCU and power programs will forget the 0fer in the SEC.

valpo84

Wake Forest had to make a change. Danny was not getting it done after about 5 years.  Randolph Childress is acting as interim coach until the "search firm" assisted coaching search is completed.  Two leading candidates are Wes Miller (former UNC player) and current UNC-Greensboro coach.  Good up and coming mid-major coach.  Some think maybe next UNC coach.  Just 15 miles down the road from Wake.  The other and my preferred choice is Pat Kelsey.  Pat is currently coaching Winthrop.  Has a long time connection to Skip Prosser, was at Wake (played at X), and then Xavier with Chris Mack.  Great guy and has done terrific at Winthrop. Wake has had 3 recruits decommit this week after the Manning exit.  There has been some discussion of Beilein, but I would not go that direction.  He's 66 and damaged goods now.  Bryce would have been a good candidate in this search.  They need someone who can get some players and coach them.  They are stuck because if they get top recruits, they can leave quickly (aka John Collins), but they are not going to get them consistently and compete against UNC, Duke and Ville with that type of recruiting.  They need a style of play and a talented/coachable players.  Skip and Dino Gaudio had that going.  Bzdelik destroyed the program and momentum.  Danny picked it back up a little, but long-term wasn't the answer.  Maybe one of the best sets of players on a bench though with Rex, Danny, and Randolph plus Rusty LaRue (Last Dance) down the street at West Forsyth HS (could be a far outside shot at the job too).

Valpo connection in all this, Rex Walters was an assistant at Wake this past year.  Rex was an assistant at Valpo 2003-05.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Ed Schilling, an asst coach with Bryce Drew at Grand Canyon, has lost his father, Ed Schilling, Sr. to the Covid-19 virus.

My condolences to the Schilling family and the people of Lebanon and coaching staff and players at GCU.

Schilling Sr. was a former coach at Marian University and a player at Butler.

Butler hall of famer, ex-Marian coach Ed Schilling Sr. dies following COVID-19 fight

DAVID WOODS | INDIANAPOLIS STAR | 45 minutes ago

INDIANAPOLIS – Todd Lickliter had an unusual, but rewarding, relationship with Ed Schilling.

Both played basketball for the Butler Bulldogs, but never as teammates. Both became college coaches, but never on the same staff. Schilling, as coach at then-Marian College, tried to recruit Lickliter as a point guard.

But they were once teammates on an amateur team playing at Indianapolis' old Dearborn Gym. After three trips up and down the floor, Schilling delivered a warning to his point guard: When I'm on the block, throw me the ball.

"It was like, OK," Lickliter recalled. "It wasn't going to be more than three times when you weren't getting the ball down to Big Ed."

Ron Iwema a former Butler teammate, can attest to that.

"He would always put his hand out and say, 'Feed the hand,'" Iwema recalled.

That's because the 6-5 Schilling, a member of the Butler Athletics Hall of Fame, could hand over victory.

He outmaneuvered and outjumped taller players. Despite being outsized, he nearly made the Indiana Pacers' ABA roster. In 1965-66, he averaged 20.7 points a game to set a Butler scoring record.

Schilling β€” otherwise known as "Big Ed" or "Big Chill" β€” died Thursday at Witham Hospital in Lebanon. He was 75.

His son, Ed Jr., said his father caught COVID-19 at Lebanon's Homewood Health Campus. On April 17, the Boone County Health Department reported 12 residents at the nursing home had died from COVID-19. Ed Jr. said his father became ill from the flu in December, then developed pneumonia.

Although Schilling was a native Ohioan, he spent most of his life in Indiana. Upon retiring after 27 years as an IUPUI professor, he was honored as a distinguished Hoosier by Gov. Mitch Daniels.

"He was one of those larger-than-life guys," Schilling's son said.

Edmund C. Schilling was born July 18, 1944, in Cleveland, the son of a factory worker. He was a basketball and track star at East High School. In 1962, he high jumped 6 feet, 4 inches and tied for Ohio's state title with a jump of 6-3 ΒΌ, landing in a sawdust pit.

He enrolled at University of Cincinnati, which was coming off an NCAA championship. Freshmen weren't eligible then, so he played for an unbeaten freshman team in 1962-63, when the Bearcats varsity lost to Loyola in the NCAA championship game.

The following summer, Schilling broke his leg and dislocated an ankle in a car collision. He transferred to Butler, where coach Tony Hinkle did not offer the big-time program featured at Cincinnati.

"When I got to Cincinnati, they met me and took my bags up to my room and took my dad to the football game," Schilling said in a Hinkle biography written by the late Howard Caldwell. "When I arrived at Butler, there was no one there to meet me, so the next day I went to coach Hinkle's office and said, 'Well, I'm here,' and he said, 'Good, glad to have you.'"

Soon, Schilling found himself on a Butler Bowl cleanup crew. It was part of the terms of his scholarship.

He played in just seven games in 1964-65 but was a breakout star the next season.

"He was by far the biggest and strongest guy we had," former teammate Ron Showley recalled. "Plus, he was an excellent jumper."

Another teammate, Jim Hohlt, added:

"He could throw his weight around pretty good, and he would not back down from anybody."

Schilling was the Bulldogs' key figure in what still might rate as their biggest upset victory ever, even more than a half-century later.

On Dec. 22, 1965, the 2-5 Bulldogs were at home to play third-ranked Michigan. The Wolverines were coming off a runner-up finish to UCLA in the NCAA tournament. They played at Butler the night after losing to No. 1 Duke 100-93 in Detroit.

In warm-ups, the Wolverines put on an impressive display of dunking. Yet the Bulldogs weren't exactly "dogmeat," as Schilling once put it.

Michigan fell behind 20-8 and never recovered.  Schilling had 26 points and 13 rebounds.

It was one of those nights where everything went in. He took off the wrong foot on a hook shot, and made it. He went in for a layup in traffic, was knocked to the floor and slid under the basket.

"Then I heard this fan reaction, so I knew the ball went in," Schilling said.

He long contended he would have made the Pacers if not for spots reserved for those with no-cut contracts. Mel Daniels, a member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, seemingly confirmed that when he told Ed Jr.:

"Hey, your dad was the real deal."

Schilling continued to play semipro or amateur ball, touring Europe, South America and Australia in addition to playing around the United States.

He had jobs in athletics at Thorntown, Sheridan, Carmel and Connersville high schools.

At 25, he became head coach at Marian, where he stayed five seasons. The Knights averaged 96.2 points a game in 1971-72, near tops in NAIA and still a school record.

He was an interim coach at IUPUI before continuing at the school, teaching education and physical education.

Father and son coached together during summers at Five-Star Basketball Camps. So did Lickliter. That cemented a friendship with Big Ed.

"He was a person of wisdom and great loyalty," said Lickliter, head coach at Evansville after stops at Butler, Iowa and Marian.

Ed Jr., a former Miami of Ohio point guard, recently joined the staff of new Grand Canyon coach Bryce Drew.

Ed Jr. coached Park Tudor to Class 2A state titles in 2011 and 2012 was head coach at Wright State from 1998-2003. He was an assistant at Indiana and UCLA, and an assistant to John Calipari at UMass, Memphis and the NBA's New Jersey Nets.

"The BIG Chill was one of the good guys," tweeted Calipari, the Kentucky coach. "He shined as a player, as a coach, as a professor, and as a husband and father."

Schilling was past president of the Lions Club in Lebanon and a member of the Witham Hospital Foundation.

Besides his son and son's wife (April), survivors include his wife, Ina, and five grandchildren.

Getting connected to Hinkle was "the best thing that ever happened to him," Schilling's son said. Until recently, his father was a longtime Butler season ticket-holder.

"Once you get the Butler Way in your system," Schilling once said, "you keep it."

Contact IndyStar reporter David Woods at david.woods@indystar.com. Follow him on Twitter: @DavidWoods007.

Originally Published 18 hours ago
Updated 45 minutes ago

This virus is real and is hitting hard in certain communities. You are very lucky if is not hitting hard in your own community.