• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Victory for Valpo: An Afternoon with Men's Basketball Alumni: Virtual 2/27 @ 3pm

Started by VU2014, February 08, 2021, 01:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

https://twitter.com/valpoalumni/status/1358839476802490368?s=21

Join us prior to the men's basketball game against Indiana State for a pregame chat with Valpo Basketball greats Erik Buggs '13, Ryan Broekhoff '13, and
Vashil Fernandez '14, '15 M.S., '16 M.S. Led by legendary Valpo play-by-play announcer and honorary alumnus Todd Ickow '18H, they'll reflect on their college careers and update Valpo fans on where they are today. They'll also answer your fan questions, which you can submit at registration or ask live!

This event is presented in celebration of the Victory for Valpo initiative, which seeks to assist the University in honoring its commitment to the student-athlete experience by generating financial support to offset the losses caused by COVID-19.

A minimum $25 gift to Victory for Valpo is required to attend this event, and those who make a qualifying gift via the registration form will receive the Zoom link to join the event. You'll also receive a commemorative, digital ticket to that evening's home game against Indiana State.

Help us sell out the ARC virtually and join in on the pregame fun with these fan favorites.

About the presenters:
One of the most decorated players in the program's storied history, Ryan Broekhoff was the 2011–12 Horizon League Player of the Year as a junior and was selected by the Associated Press as an Honorable Mention All-American that season. A two-time First Team All-Horizon League selection, Broekhoff ranks seventh in program history in points scored (1,591), tied for third in rebounds (841), third in 3-pointers made (252) and fifth in blocked shots (100). Broekhoff has played professionally since his Valpo career concluded, most notably playing in 59 NBA games for the Dallas Mavericks over two seasons (2018-19 and 2019-20).

After being a part of the memorable 2013 senior class that led Valpo to an NCAA Tournament berth during its senior season, Erik Buggs went on to play professionally overseas. He owns the program record for games played, having appeared in 138 contests during his Valpo tenure. The Memphis native was named the Most Valuable Player of the 2013 Horizon League Tournament after scoring 22 points in the championship game against Wright State. He also ranks among Valpo's all-time leaders in assists (425, fourth) and steals (157, t-sixth).

Like Broekhoff and Buggs, Vashil Fernandez has gone on to play professionally following his time on Valpo's campus. The Kingston, Jamaica, native was a fan favorite during his time at Valpo while evolving into one of the best defensive players in the nation. He was named the Lefty Driesell National Defensive Player of the Year by CollegeInsider.com as a senior after leading the nation at 3.31 blocks per game. A two-time Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year, Fernandez owns the top two single-season block totals in Valpo history including a program-record 119 rejections as a senior.

Todd Ickow is in his 30th year calling Valpo Athletics and his 29th as the Voice of Valpo Basketball. He will moderate the session prior to handling ESPN3/ESPN+ play-by-play duties for that evening's home finale against in-state foe Indiana State.

About Victory for Valpo:
The loss of significant ticket and sponsorship revenue, NCAA and Missouri Valley Conference distributions and guaranteed game money results in a revenue shortfall of over $600,000 for Valpo Athletics. In addition, the expense of maintaining the Valpo student-athlete experience in a safe environment continues, with added costs this year for testing and other COVID-19 related safeguards and protocols.

"When each one of these young men and women decided to attend Valpo and compete for the Brown and Gold, we made a commitment to them," said LaBarbera. "A commitment that they would have the most meaningful student-athlete experience possible and have the opportunity to develop athletically, grow as individuals and receive a world-class education as members of the Valpo Athletics family."

Gifts to Victory for Valpo will support Valpo Athletics and provide critical resources to all 17 of Valpo's NCAA Division-I athletic teams. Importantly, it will help protect the Valpo student-athlete experience of competing at the highest level possible while dedicated to achieving academic excellence in the classroom.

The pandemic has established a "new normal" and Valpo student-athletes, coaches and staff have adapted well. Several winter sports have returned to competition, albeit with limited spectator attendance, while spring sports are nearing the start of their respective seasons. Additionally, traditional fall sports — football, volleyball, women's soccer and cross country — have the opportunity to compete this spring as well.

Contact Information
Primary Contact

Alumni Engagement
1100 Campus Dr S
Valparaiso, IN 46383
alumni@valpo.edu
Date & Location
Date: 2/27/2021
Time: 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM

Valpo2010

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

I only hope whoever moderates has enough common sense to stay away from discussion of this polarizing anti-Crusader appeasement initiative.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on February 26, 2021, 11:09:53 AM
I only hope whoever moderates has enough common sense to stay away from discussion of this polarizing anti-Crusader appeasement initiative.

moderator@ToddIckow

wh

Quote from: bbtds on February 26, 2021, 12:03:22 PM
Quote from: wh on February 26, 2021, 11:09:53 AM

moderator@ToddIckow

Ok, keep it light-hearted and fun, Todd.

vu84v2

Thank you for the reminder. I have a number of things going on, but just sent an email for late registration and hope to attend.

Agree with the prior comments to keep it light (and positive). I am confident that Todd will do a great job with that.

VUSERF

I think the athletics department should make these events a bit more common if possible. Zoom makes these types of things easy. It is a good way for non Valparaiso area alumni to still feel connected to the program. Relived a number of amazing ARC moments during this time.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

I thought that it went very well. The university's choices of Buggs, Broekhoff and Vashil were very good, as all three are very personable and do a great job of articulating how great their time was at Valpo. Todd, as expected, did a great job as moderator. Todd and everyone on the call did a good job of keeping things friendly and positive.

I was especially impressed with Erik Buggs. I had never heard him speak and he seems to have such natural enthusiasm. I can see him having a very successful career coaching.

Ryan was isolating in a hotel with his family due to Australia's quarantine restrictions. Ryan's son and Vashil's daughters were on the call with their Dads.

M

It was great! Well done and thank you to everyone who was involved in making it happen!

Valpo71

Thanks to the organizers for a great opportunity to witness the quality of the young people that attend and excel at VU athletically, academically and spiritually.  My hope is that more of these events are offered and that more fans participate.
It was such a delight to hear from three great former players about what it means to be on a team at VU.
The good discussion comparing the MVC to the Horizon League should be a call to all of us that we have to step up to a higher level of support for our teams.