• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: David81 on April 03, 2023, 06:10:34 PM
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but....

...how long does VU have to make its decision before the players who might help us have already been snatched up from the transfer portal?

Not to sound flippant, but yesterday is how long we have before SOME of the players who could have helped us have either already been snatched up or are being actively recruited by other programs. Obviously, there are still players in the portal, but like choosing up sides for a pickup bb game - the best players are chosen first. In the meantime, we have no head coach and presumably no assistants. IMO the best outcome at this point is get someone from D-1 that players love and want to come with.

tjjvalpo

Quote from: tiny707 on April 03, 2023, 01:04:52 PM
Add Preston to the transfer portal.

Where did you see this? I only see two Valpo players listed in portal- Cam and Ben

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: tjjvalpo on April 03, 2023, 10:03:53 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on April 03, 2023, 01:04:52 PM
Add Preston to the transfer portal.

Where did you see this? I only see two Valpo players listed in portal- Cam and Ben
https://twitter.com/RuedingerP/status/1642948569479905284?s=20
Preston Ruedinger is in the transfer portal

David81

Quote from: wh on April 03, 2023, 06:41:24 PM
Quote from: David81 on April 03, 2023, 06:10:34 PM
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but....

...how long does VU have to make its decision before the players who might help us have already been snatched up from the transfer portal?

Not to sound flippant, but yesterday is how long we have before SOME of the players who could have helped us have either already been snatched up or are being actively recruited by other programs. Obviously, there are still players in the portal, but like choosing up sides for a pickup bb game - the best players are chosen first. In the meantime, we have no head coach and presumably no assistants. IMO the best outcome at this point is get someone from D-1 that players love and want to come with.

Well, that goes to why I asked. Is there a point at which it may be too late? When I read Paul Oren's update this morning reporting that 43 of 54 head coaching vacancies were now filled, it means that among those 43, all but the most roster-blessed new guys are furiously reviewing names in the portal.

If the new HC finishes his first season with a .500 record or above, then he deserves a ticker-tape parade. 👍🤞💪

tiny707

Add Maximus Nelson to the transfer portal.

chgovalpofan

we need to get this new coach hired fast so we can start rebuilding!

Chairback

A ton of players transferring is NO different than the last 6 years.  None of this is surprising or upsetting. 

We will be ok and change will be good!   

vu72

Quote from: tiny707 on April 04, 2023, 12:38:37 PM

That puts Valpo at the average number of transfers for Valley teams. Same number as Illinois State, Belmont, UIC amd Bradley and less than Indiana State and Murray State and WAY less than Evansville.  At least we'll have a completely new starting lineup!  The last one wasn't exactly tearing it up!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: vu72 on April 04, 2023, 01:46:54 PM

That puts Valpo at the average number of transfers for Valley teams. Same number as Illinois State, Belmont, UIC amd Bradley and less than Indiana State and Murray State and WAY less than Evansville.  At least we'll have a completely new starting lineup!  The last one wasn't exactly tearing it up!

Bingo. Let the new coach bring in an entirely new roster for all I care.

wh

Hopefully, Bayu and Palm stay. They could both play key roles next year.

David81

The 2023-24 roster will basically be a gut rehab rebuilding job.

It will give us plenty to talk about here.  ;)

crusader05

Just cause they're in it doesn't mean they'll leave but better to get in now and figure out what your options are than wait another week for a coach who may or may not have a scheme that fits your playing style.

historyman

Quote from: wh on April 04, 2023, 01:56:20 PM
Hopefully, Bayu and Palm stay. They could both play key roles next year.

Speak of the devil..............................................

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpo89

No players. No coaches. Has VU basketball ever been in limbo this bad?

IndyValpo

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 05, 2023, 11:38:51 AM
Yes it was called the Rochlitz era!

usc4valpo

you could also say that during the Smith era, but players got booted or left during the season.

FWalum

Rumor is now confirmed. It appears that Brandon Newman has entered the transfer portal. Is there any possibility he could come back to the region if we can get a decent coach in place quickly?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Just Sayin

Newman is a very good player. Hustles like Jake, is athletic, and provides a spark plug for any team he's on. Painter underused him and when the freshman Smith got in trouble when the press was on, they almost lost several games from his turnovers. Newman should have replaced him in those situations.

David81

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 05, 2023, 11:40:45 AM

I was at VU during the Rochlitz years. Expectations were modest, of course. But between some solid local signees and talented transfers, by the late 70s/early 80s, VU could field a respectable basketball team.

IndyValpo

Quote from: David81 on April 05, 2023, 05:52:45 PM

I was at VU during the Rochlitz years. Expectations were modest, of course. But between some solid local signees and talented transfers, by the late 70s/early 80s, VU could field a respectable basketball team.
That was Tom Smith. Rochlitz was not very good and we spent basically nothing.

tiny707

I see Newman going to Notre Dame with his old coach.

David81

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 05, 2023, 06:34:05 PM
Quote from: David81 on April 05, 2023, 05:52:45 PM

That was Tom Smith. Rochlitz was not very good and we spent basically nothing.

Actually, during the time I was there, there was a transition. But during Rochlitz's tenure, some very decent players joined the team....Morris Smith, Jeff Simmons, Julian Hudson, Kendall Cobb, a few others. The W-L record wasn't great, but the team was much more competitive.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on April 05, 2023, 06:34:13 PM
I see Newman going to Notre Dame with his old coach.

The old Martin route. It's becoming a Valpo HS tradition.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 05, 2023, 05:31:39 PM
Newman is a very good player. Hustles like Jake, is athletic, and provides a spark plug for any team he's on. Painter underused him and when the freshman Smith got in trouble when the press was on, they almost lost several games from his turnovers. Newman should have replaced him in those situations.

Newman isn't a good ball handler. He can shoot it, but he's not capable of handling the ball much.

Dr. T

As pointed out, entering the transfer portal does not automatically equate to players leaving. Why not enter the transfer portal? What's the worst that can happen from the player's perspective? If they're of any D-1 caliber, they'll get some options on the table to leave and could end up somewhere that's a better fit (or one with more certainty). Additionally, there will be a new VU coach hired. It'll happen if he/she wants to re-recruit the players to his/her program.

It's a win-win as I see it (from the player's perspective). From a fan's perspective, this is the LEAST involved I've been in many years. I do not know these players as I have in seasons past. I have no ties and relatively no investment. I watched games out of a sense of pride. Out of a sense of obligation to the program as an alum & lifelong fan. But I won't be upset if any/all of the players leave if that's what's best for them in their judgment.

I'm ready for a new era. No offense to any current players or fans. That is just my opinion. I'm looking forward to a reset & getting to know the new players For those who stay; I'm honestly excited to get to know them as well because I honestly don't know them. Cheers to a new chapter!!!

I'm looking forward to donating again for the first time in several years. I'm looking forward to renewing my season tickets! I'm looking forward to purchasing Valpo gear (I last purchased it several years ago).

Let's go!