• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

CSU and YSU this week

Started by wh, February 06, 2012, 01:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

In all likelihood, these next 2 games will determine this year's HL champion.  If we sweep both games, we will pull even in the loss column with CSU, plus have the tie breaker and 3 winnable home games to finish up.  If we split, we still have a great chance to finish 2nd.  Losing both might put us in jeopardy of falling out of the top two.  One thing is for certain - if we hope to go to the Big Dance, we will have to beat CSU in Cleveland, either this week or if not then in the HL tournament.  Obviously, it would be much better to beat them this week and play both tournament games at home. 

As everyone knows, CSU is a very dangerous and talented team.  That said, we "mis-match" well with them.  In our favor, they match-up very poorly with Kevin and Ryan.  In our last game, Kevin seemed to be able to score practically at will against Pogue.  Added to that, Richie is playing much better as of late and should give Pogue fits, as well.  They have no one that matches up well with Ryan either.  He is bigger and faster than anyone they have at the 4.  On the other side, their 3 guards are the best trio in the league.  We definitely are going to have to guard them by committee and hope they aren't hot.  Then of course, part will depend on the refs doing their job and calling a respectable portion of the 45 body checking, tripping, pushing and shoving fouls they typically commit.  In any event, exciting times are here!     

vu72

I just checked the remaining schedule for the top four teams and we certainly have an easier road versus CSU. With no disrespect, if you consider Loyola and UIC as very winnable, then Valpo and Milwaukee each have 3 remaining tough games, while YSU has 5 and CSU has 6!!  CSU has to play us, Butler and Wright State at home, while playing Milwaukee and Green Bay on the road.  Six tough games.  Youngstown State has Butler, us, Detroit and Wright State at home, and Green Bay on the road.

A split on this trip will work, although I think we have a chance to sweep.  Both games, being on the road, will be tough.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I wish that I could predict a win at CSU, but we seem to play much worse on the road at CSU, WSU, and GB, than when we play other teams in conference on the road.  It always seems to be a double digit loss on the road at these venues, so hopefully I am wrong. 

I do see us winning at YSU in a game that is close for the first half, but we open up a decent lead to win in the second half.  That leaves us with the chance to clinch a 2 seed (at a minimum) in sweeping the Chicago teams, and seeing where that leaves us at home against Butler.

CSU 74
Valpo 66

Valpo 79
YSU 72
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

If you want to reminisce, here's what YSU will want payback for from last year: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12491922

The first 37 minutes of the game are in part 1, but for some reason it's only audio.

This is what happens when StlVUFan is waiting patiently for his pacemaker incision to heal ;)  Too much time on my hands... (tm Styx)

VUfan

We have beaten both of these teams, lets do it again, it's just hard work. We can push and shove just as well as CSU just get after it! We have played all year to have this Chance!!! :)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 06, 2012, 06:07:34 PM
If you want to reminisce, here's what YSU will want payback for from last year: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12491922

The first 37 minutes of the game are in part 1, but for some reason it's only audio.

This is what happens when StlVUFan is waiting patiently for his pacemaker incision to heal ;)  Too much time on my hands... (tm Styx)

all these crazy games giving your heart fits, stl? ;) hope you heal up quickly.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 06, 2012, 06:46:23 PM

A.  My heart's fine, it's the incision that has to heal ;)
B.  It doesn't cause your heart fits if you already know how it ends ;)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 06, 2012, 07:13:20 PM

one for each :clap: :clap:

Crusader03

Quote from: vu72 on February 06, 2012, 03:12:49 PM
I just checked the remaining schedule for the top four teams and we certainly have an easier road versus CSU. With no disrespect, if you consider Loyola and UIC as very winnable, then Valpo and Milwaukee each have 3 remaining tough games, while YSU has 5 and CSU has 6!!  CSU has to play us, Butler and Wright State at home, while playing Milwaukee and Green Bay on the road.  Six tough games.  Youngstown State has Butler, us, Detroit and Wright State at home, and Green Bay on the road.

A split on this trip will work, although I think we have a chance to sweep.  Both games, being on the road, will be tough.

I certainly hope the Chicago coaches aren't checking out this board...it is this kind of disrespect that those teams will feed on. 

Crusader03

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 06, 2012, 08:22:24 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 06, 2012, 07:13:20 PM

one for each :clap: :clap:

Agreed!!!   :thewave: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  Standing ovation!!!

StlVUFan

historyman

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 06, 2012, 10:03:19 PMI certainly hope the Chicago coaches aren't checking out this board...it is this kind of disrespect that those teams will feed on.

The only reason any Chicago coach would be checking out this message board is if some of the posters were giving away important info about the Valpo team that was only leaked out here. I wonder which poster would be most likely to do something such as that?

Crusader03

Quote from: historyman on February 07, 2012, 12:20:20 AM
Quote from: Crusader03 on February 06, 2012, 10:03:19 PMI certainly hope the Chicago coaches aren't checking out this board...it is this kind of disrespect that those teams will feed on.

The only reason any Chicago coach would be checking out this message board is if some of the posters were giving away important info about the Valpo team that was only leaked out here. I wonder which poster would be most likely to do something such as that?

I really don't understand this comment.  Am I notorious for having highly-sensitive VU-related info that I then distribute freely to all other HL coaches?  I didn't know I was the board mole. 

And why are you stalking me in every thread?  Are you upset that you weren't mentioned in the Hitler video??