• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Who will we see in the Semi final?

Started by oklahomamick, February 26, 2012, 10:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will our semi-final opponent be on Saturday at the ARC?

#4 Milwaukee
21 (50%)
#5 Butler
20 (47.6%)
#8 Wright State
1 (2.4%)
#9 UIC
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 02, 2012, 11:05:05 AM

oklahomamick

I bet is that Butler will beat Milwaukee in Milwaukee and return to Valpo for the semifinal. 
Who do you think we will see in the semifinal?  Who do you want to see in the semifinal?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo04

wh

wh

Personally, I have to go with Butler based on their recent post season experience and success. 

vuweathernerd

i also voted for milwaukee. i think they can match up well with the bulldogs. plus, it'd be sweet revenge to be able to take them down after the way they stole the game at the arc in late december.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 26, 2012, 10:54:03 AMI bet is that Butler will beat Milwaukee in Milwaukee and return to Valpo for the semifinal. 

The hypothetical Butler-Milwaukee game would be in Valpo, right?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2012, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 26, 2012, 10:54:03 AMI bet is that Butler will beat Milwaukee in Milwaukee and return to Valpo for the semifinal. 

The hypothetical Butler-Milwaukee game would be in Valpo, right?

yep. valpo is hosting the quarter- and semifinal games next friday and saturday.

valpopal

I believe playing in Valpo and close enough for many of their fans to travel to the game will give Butler a slight home court advantage; therefore, my guess is that Butler edges Milwaukee.

FWalum

Similar distances and travel times between the two different cities so distance should not be a determining factor in number of fans attending.  Now if you wanted to say that Butler travels better and will bring more fans then maybe I would agree with that statement.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

mj

I think we're going to wind up playing Milwaukee. Of course, I'd really like to see WSU and UIC pull a few upsets :)
I believe that we will win.

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpopal on February 26, 2012, 01:57:27 PM
I believe playing in Valpo and close enough for many of their fans to travel to the game will give Butler a slight home court advantage; therefore, my guess is that Butler edges Milwaukee.

Indianapolis -- 2.5 hours away

Milwaukee -- 2.5 hours away (unless you hit rush hour in Chicago)
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

WSU beats Butler, and Milwaukee beats WSU at Valpo.  We beat Milwaukee to play CSU in the championship.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 26, 2012, 03:30:47 PM

I didn't say Butler was closer than Milwaukee, but that Valpo is close enough for Butler fans that I believe will turn out in larger numbers than Milwaukee fans, or as FWalum stated: "Butler travels better and will bring more fans."

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on February 26, 2012, 05:42:14 PM

I didn't say Butler was closer than Milwaukee, but that Valpo is close enough for Butler fans that I believe will turn out in larger numbers than Milwaukee fans, or as FWalum stated: "Butler travels better and will bring more fans."

This may have more to do with the opponent than the fans or location but when Butler hosted Wright State for the 2010 HL tourney final they drew just over 6,000 fans on a Tuesday. When Milwaukee hosted Butler for the 2011 HL tourney final they drew around 10,000.

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

This may have more to do with the opponent than the fans or location but when Butler hosted Wright State for the 2010 HL tourney final they drew just over 6,000 fans on a Tuesday. When Milwaukee hosted Butler for the 2011 HL tourney final they drew around 10,000.

Yes, this may also be further evidence that Butler travels better and brings in more fans.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on February 27, 2012, 07:03:09 AM
Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Yes, this may also be further evidence that Butler travels better and brings in more fans.
Actually it's that Butler brings in more opposition fans or fans in general outside of Indianapolis. When Butler fans think the opposition is not high quality they stay at home and watch the game on TV.

sectionee

Butler also has more alumni in NWI than does Milwaukee I would imagine.

DMvalpo18

Hopefully not Butler! But, probably Butler.

letsgovu

valporun

Like I said before the end of the regular season, Butler is peaking at the right time. We have to come out tomorrow night ready to play, be physical, and stand our ground. Marshall will be a major focus, especially with the easy lobs he got tonight.

oklahomamick

Butler it is!  Can we beat them 3 consecutive times this year?  I believe :thumbsup:
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

We've already beaten them three consecutive times, bridging two seasons; what's a fourth?

I really have a hard time following this "it's hard to beat a time three times in season" chestnut.  Of course it is.  But, not after you've already beaten them twice!  Would you really rather play a team that's already beaten us?