• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Homer and Janet Drew Going to Baylor Game

Started by VULB#62, March 23, 2012, 11:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

agibson

Nice!  Glad Janet's feeling well enough to travel.

bbtds

Has anybody seen any coverage of Homer and Janet on the Baylor game TV broadcast?

agibson

They just pointed them out in the audience - I was tabbed away, unfortunately, so missed the visual.  I did hear the reference, and a nice mention of the '98 campaign and a personal visit of the broadcaster and his wife to the Drew's home.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on March 23, 2012, 08:01:52 PM
Has anybody seen any coverage of Homer and Janet on the Baylor game TV broadcast?
Believe it or not my TV went out just after Clark Kellogg ended his tribute to the Drews. It's back on now but signal is weak & U-verse keeps freezing.

valporun

They did show the Drews. Janet was wearing this strange green and yellow BU hat, and they were sitting with Scott's wife and daughter.

VULB#62

Just great that they got there and that Baylor won.

The Baylor tee Shirts that the team wore during warm-ups were very "focused" wouldn't ya say?

agibson

Quote from: valporun on March 23, 2012, 09:25:46 PM
They did show the Drews. Janet was wearing this strange green and yellow BU hat, and they were sitting with Scott's wife and daughter.

There we go, just saw it on the Chicago CBS news.

VULB#62

DMvalpo18

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 23, 2012, 10:07:28 PM
Just great that they got there and that Baylor won.

The Baylor tee Shirts that the team wore during warm-ups were very "focused" wouldn't ya say?

One Team, One God, One Goal. I think that's what they said. What do you mean by "focused?"

VULB#62

Exactly that.  Not many teams would wear their witness on their shirts in the Big Dance like that.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 24, 2012, 05:03:45 PM
Exactly that.  Not many teams would wear their witness on their shirts in the Big Dance like that.

I think you are right about that. But how many of the big time schools even have a witness? To me, it goes to show the impact of Scott Drew on that team.

valpospartan

Quote from: valporun on March 23, 2012, 09:25:46 PM

also sitting with daughter Dana and husband and Bryce and Tara .

VULB#62

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on March 24, 2012, 06:51:46 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 24, 2012, 05:03:45 PM

I think you are right about that. But how many of the big time schools even have a witness? To me, it goes to show the impact of Scott Drew on that team.

Knowing Scott's DNA and seeing the tee shirt thing, I can't quite figure out why he is getting slammed in the BIG XII for the way he recruits.  I guess I'm just naive.   

agibson

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on March 24, 2012, 06:51:46 PM

Well, it is a pretty conservative Baptist school.  This may reflect Scott's preference as well; but, I don't think it's likely to be unusual at Baylor.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 24, 2012, 07:31:55 PMKnowing Scott's DNA and seeing the tee shirt thing, I can't quite figure out why he is getting slammed in the BIG XII for the way he recruits.  I guess I'm just naive.   

I dunno.  Being Christian, even being a Drew, doesn't necessarily mean that you agree with the dominant culture as to what "fair" recruiting tactics are.

vu84v2

As I am in a rather unique position to answer the question of why Scott Drew is disliked in the Big 12 - let me offer my thoughts.  Being a Valparaiso alum, this has been a topic of discussion here.  Please note that I am summarizing other people's opinions and newspaper articles. 

1.  I think that Scott Drew is considered a good recruiter based on his results.  He is considered a horrible game coach among people in the Big 12.  He is respected for bringing that program back from disaster.
2.  The Christian part plays a big part of the discomfort with Scott.  People in places like Lawrence do not consider bringing religious faith into recruiting as being ethical - let your program stand on its own.  Public displays of faith (like the shirts Baylor wore for warmups) further deepen this discomfort.
3.  The general feeling here is that Scott Drew does whatever he feels like doing and then, if there is some ethics problem, he hides behind the "we're Christian".  One recent example brought up is the inappropriate discussions that Drew had at some point with the Ohio guard about transferring.  The general belief is that Scott will "negative recruit" and put down other programs....and then try to place himself and Baylor on the moral high ground.
4.  The common belief is that Scott Drew reported Bill Self for some minor recruiting violation.  Self may have actually been wrong (it was very minor though), but turning in other coaches here for something minor is considered very unclassy.

On one other note - I would love to see Baylor and Kansas win today.

VULB#62

Oh, oh...............  The one thing a person of faith cannot be is hypocritical and your summary, unfortunately, sends me in that direction.

............ And Baylor got their doors blown off by Calipari's NBA all-stars.  :-X  Jeez, did I just say that?  Well, I guess John is not hypocritical about "One and Done" -- he embraces it.  But doesn't that kill the graduation rate (a la UConn)?

agibson

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 25, 2012, 01:10:15 PMPeople in places like Lawrence do not consider bringing religious faith into recruiting as being ethical - let your program stand on its own.  Public displays of faith (like the shirts Baylor wore for warmups) further deepen this discomfort.

Interesting!  I wonder if this goes over better in Texas than it does in Kansas?

DMvalpo18

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 25, 2012, 04:53:18 PM
Oh, oh...............  The one thing a person of faith cannot be is hypocritical and your summary, unfortunately, sends me in that direction.

............ And Baylor got their doors blown off by Calipari's NBA all-stars.  :-X  Jeez, did I just say that?  Well, I guess John is not hypocritical about "One and Done" -- he embraces it.  But doesn't that kill the graduation rate (a la UConn)?

C'mon now. Everybody holds to their own worldviews and beliefs with inconsistencies in them. No one is perfect. So it's not just the "religious" people who are hypocritical. Let's be fair.

VULB#62

Agreed, but, right or wrong, the world does hold religiously-associated people to a higher standard, gives them less leeway, and takes perverse enjoyment in situations where there is failure or the possibility of failure.  The headlines and smirking surrounding fallen evangelists and catholic priests involved in scandals underscore this fact of life.  People are just waiting for Tim Tebow to do just one off-color or risqué thing.  The same thing is kinda in effect for Scott. I'm sure he is aware of the burden.

vu84v2

First off, since it is the title of this thread - I should say above and beyond everything else that it is great that Janet is doing better and was able to travel to Atlanta.  That is the most important thing.

Remember that I was summarizing what I see from the opinions of basketball fans in Lawrence.  I would have loved to see Baylor knock off Kentucky and their "rent-a-players".  Calipari is not a hypocrit....but his ethics are extremely low doing it the way that he is.  The "one and done" style would not work at Kansas - they even tried one (Josh Selby) and it was a disaster.

valpotx

In regards to comments about Baylor and religion, Scott is very much in the right for bringing faith into recruiting.  I know it was casually stated, but Baylor is a VERY conservative Baptist school.  Think Oral Roberts restrictions in some regards: opposite sex students are not allowed in your dorm room except in very strict windows of time throughout the week, and the doors must remain open when this is the case.  I had a few summer baseball teammates that played at Baylor, and ended up transferring because they couldn't adhere to a lot of the strict rules, especially the opposite sex one (if you saw some of the girls, you would understand how hard it would be lol)  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

BigMoSmithFan

I think you can still be a devout Christian and find those warm-up shirts that Baylor's team was wearing yesterday... distasteful. And Scott, of all people, should know better.

That said, it was great to see Janet healthy enough to make the trip. Her bravery is inspiring.

valporun

I actually didn't find the message of the shirts to be distasteful at all. It goes along with the team mission for the season. "ONE TEAM ONE GOD ONE GOAL", that's an appropriate mission for team togetherness and focus on what the season should be about, especially at a school like Baylor, who puts their Christian mission out there for a source of "Being The Church".