• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

7 a.m. Nov. 13 vs. NIU

Started by Valpo89, July 11, 2012, 09:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

Thought this deserved its own thread due to the uniqueness of the game. Just released by the school:

Crusaders Hosting Game as Part of ESPN College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon

The Valparaiso men's basketball team will host Northern Illinois at the Athletics-Recreation Center on Tuesday, Nov. 13 at 7 a.m. (CT) on ESPN as part of the fifth annual College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon, a 24-hour marathon of basketball over the ESPN family of networks which celebrates the opening of the college basketball season.

The Crusaders' game against Northern Illinois will be the fifth of 11 contests on ESPN on the 13th, as the marathon kicks off at midnight ET (11 p.m. CT) with West Virginia at Gonzaga.  Both Valparaiso and Northern Illinois will be making their debuts in the marathon.  For the Crusaders, it continues a trend of nationally-televised games, as Valpo appeared on the ESPN family of networks a program-record six times during the 2011-2012 season, including five of its final six games.

"What a thrill to be hosting a game during ESPN's 24 hours of basketball!" said Crusader head coach Bryce Drew.  "It is always a great opportunity for our university and our basketball program to be on national television during the morning prime time hours.  We hope our fans set their alarms early that day, put some coffee on and come help pack the ARC!"

Valparaiso returns all five starters in 2012-2013 from a squad which won 22 games a season ago and captured the program's first-ever Horizon League regular season championship en route to an appearance in the NIT.

agibson

Good fun!  Will have to check my lab schedule, but should be able to take in some of the game, at minimum.

Sounds like it's on the mothership?

VULB#62

For context:  Last year VU beat 'em by 11 (59-48) at their place in front of 850 spectators    :snore:  on December 20th.

valporun

We didn't play all that well against a very young team with a new head coach. Now that NIU has a year under their belt with Mark Montgomery, an IZZO disciple, they could be better than we expect, but we'll get a good glimpse of what we have in our program with this game, just hope that 7AM will not start us out flat...

EddieCabot

Great exposure for Valpo, but unfortunate that this game isn't against a better opponent.  NIU won 4 games last year and was #334 in RPI.  Could be a real snoozer.   :snore:

valpopal

An additional good note for the Horizon League is that Detroit will play at St. John's in the ESPN Marathon as well. They are scheduled for 1 p.m. Central Time.

78crusader

This is dumb idea. Nothing accentuates the perception that VU is forever stuck in low-level mid-major land more than a gimmicky 7 am game, played before what is sure to be a sparse crowd.

Paul

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on July 11, 2012, 10:57:40 AM
An additional good note for the Horizon League is that Detroit will play at St. John's in the ESPN Marathon as well. They are scheduled for 1 p.m. Central Time.

I also have to give a nod to Butler, which sees its first benefit of moving to the A-10: a 4 pm (ET) game at Xavier in the marathon.

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on July 11, 2012, 11:01:51 AM
This is dumb idea. Nothing accentuates the perception that VU is forever stuck in low-level mid-major land more than a gimmicky 7 am game, played before what is sure to be a sparse crowd.

Paul

Totally disagree, well, maybe agree on the sparse crowd part!  There are only 22 teams participating out of 345  D1 teams.  We are included with the likes of Duke, Kentucky,West Virginia, Gonzaga, New Mexico, Harvard, U Mass and Butler to name a few.  Granted the live viewing numbers won't be very high but with video recorders etc it will still have an advertising impact. The other positive is that there are only 11 games which means highlites will be shown during the other games in prime time. ESPN averages about 400,000 viewers per hour.  What will we draw?  Would 100,000 nationally for free be a disappointment?  I don't think so. What about internationally?  Valpo draws students from across the globe.  ESPN broadcasts to 231 countries.  It's not 7 am everywhere!

I really like the fact that we open against a D1 opponent and also think it won't be a cake walk.  We will be blending in new guys but with our overall experience I certainly expect a 10 point win minimum.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

A 7 a.m. game on a week day does sound a little strange, but as '72 says I'd rather be a part of it than not.  I will be there with coffee in hand doing my part.

78crusader

First, the game will appear on espn's "family of networks." This is code for "espn u" or "espn 3" for the lesser games, and I will bet the farm a 7 am game is considered a lesser game.

Second, playing at 7 am in front of a couple hundred fans is no way to showcase our signature sport. Vu72 points out only 22 teams are participating, thereby implying this is something special. I think the fact that only 22 teams are participating is evidence that the other 300 D1 teams are using good judgment by not agreeing to play in a time slot that makes the participants appear desperate to move to the adult table.

Paul

vusupporter

Quote from: 78crusader on July 11, 2012, 12:57:40 PM
First, the game will appear on espn's "family of networks." This is code for "espn u" or "espn 3" for the lesser games, and I will bet the farm a 7 am game is considered a lesser game.

Second, playing at 7 am in front of a couple hundred fans is no way to showcase our signature sport. Vu72 points out only 22 teams are participating, thereby implying this is something special. I think the fact that only 22 teams are participating is evidence that the other 300 D1 teams are using good judgment by not agreeing to play in a time slot that makes the participants appear desperate to move to the adult table.

Paul

Every game announced today is on ESPN.  ESPN supplements their 11-game mothership lineup with other games on their other networks later in the day as schedules are released.  See here: http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/11/10/college-hoops-marathon-november-15/ for last year's full lineup.

78crusader

Scheduling this game is a bad idea.

This is a gimmick, and gimmicks don't work.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: vusupporter on July 11, 2012, 01:08:19 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on July 11, 2012, 12:57:40 PM

Paul

Every game announced today is on ESPN.  ESPN supplements their 11-game mothership lineup with other games on their other networks later in the day as schedules are released.  See here: http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/11/10/college-hoops-marathon-november-15/ for last year's full lineup.

Interesting in that Doug Gottlieb and Andy Katz did the 7am (central) game last year and then appeared on the Mike and Mike show at half time.  This could be better than I thought!  Look, there was a game last yer that started at 2am eastern. Apparently schools have been going for this "gimmick" for some time now.

Hopefully we'll get them or another top notch crew to our game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

It there ever was an idea that could be spiced up some to draw the fans it's this game.

Just like the way TV networks advertise their tennis coverage at Wimbledon the Athletics Dept could call it "Breakfast at the A.R.C." and spice up the event. They could have some give-aways and other contests that could draw people at that early hour.

Remember this is a televised game on ESPN. Isn't that one of the elements that really draws students to the game?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

swiftmutiny

I'm not too worried about student turnout. We always love the televised games and as a morning game it'll be seen as a novelty. General attendance, however, might be a different story.

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on July 11, 2012, 12:06:34 PM
I really like the fact that we open against a D1 opponent and also think it won't be a cake walk.  We will be blending in new guys but with our overall experience I certainly expect a 10 point win minimum.

I'd be very surprised if this game is close.  NIU opened last year with a 62 point loss to Purdue ... Purdue was ok, but definitely weren't close to being a Top-25 team.

vu72

Quote from: zvillehaze on July 11, 2012, 03:43:14 PM
Quote from: vu72 on July 11, 2012, 12:06:34 PM

I'd be very surprised if this game is close.  NIU opened last year with a 62 point loss to Purdue ... Purdue was ok, but definitely weren't close to being a Top-25 team.

True enough although they followed that loss with a 2 pointer to Milwaukee.  On paper it shouldn't be close--without any knowledge about new additions, but, my point is only that they had 7 freshman on their team last year and only graduated 8 average points of production.  Don't think either of the 2 seniors started for them.  I certainly hope you are right 'haze.

vuweathernerd

love the idea! i'm quite excited to see valpo get into the season tip-off. i remember being at work last year watching some game after waking up at 0530 and thinking about how awesome it was. the only thing that'll make it better is if i can be there in person. but i don't know that that'll be in the cards. maybe next year.

78crusader

No one will convince me that there isn't an increased risk of injury in playing at the ridiculous hour of 7 am.

Paul 

covufan

Quote from: 78crusader on July 11, 2012, 11:01:51 AM

Paul
I seem to recall 25 years ago when some where calling moving games to 8:30 or 9 (for TV purposes) dumb.  I agree the 7 am time is a little gimmicky, but hey it is only once in a blue moon!  Breakfast at the ARC!  I think it is a great one-time promotion with ESPN, and will provide good exposure to Valpo.

covufan

Quote from: 78crusader on July 11, 2012, 05:10:30 PM
No one will convince me that there isn't an increased risk of injury in playing at the ridiculous hour of 7 am.

Paul 
Increased maybe.  Measureable - very doubtful.

I remember practices being as early as 5:30, when we could get gym time.  Ask some of Bob Knight's players if they ever practiced at 7 AM.

valpopal

Quote from: 78crusader on July 11, 2012, 05:10:30 PM

Paul 
I believe most teams often have early morning practice sessions, usually beginning even earlier than 7a.m. so that players can attend classes. I see no reason there would be an increased risk of injury over other times of the day.

vu72

It seems only logical that a 7am start would cause FEWER possible injuries.  Not trying to be difficult or combative in any way.  Just wondering why fresh legs (they just got up!) versus legs who have been possibly doing other things from running to class to being cramped up on a long bus ride for an 8pm game could cause more injuries.

crusaderjoe

QuoteNo one will convince me that there isn't an increased risk of injury in playing at the ridiculous hour of 7 am.

Paul

QuoteScheduling this game is a bad idea.

This is a gimmick, and gimmicks don't work.

Paul

Given your concerns, I'm left wondering whether you have changed your position and now support the idea of either building a new arena or immediately remodeling the ARC as a venue so that VU can better attract D-I opponents at home without the use of gimmicks that might result in an increase in athletic injury.