• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Heckler interview

Started by 78crusader, December 05, 2014, 08:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

President Heckler was interviewed by WVUR last month.  You can hear the interview on Soundcloud.

Highlights:

(1) Chapel addition coming along well.  Will be ready July 1.  Last remaining issue is replacing the pews: new pews v. chairs.  I'm for new pews but I'm betting they will go with chairs.

(2) Sorority housing will be built in the empty lot right across to the west from the ARC.  This sounds like one main building with five separate entrances, one for each sorority.  Will begin in the spring and will be finished by Christmas.  I'm for a new building with the quality of Beacon Hall, but I'm betting on something that is not as special as our recent new buildings.  Just my gut feeling.  The relatively short time frame for construction has me concerned. 

(3) Scheele will be renovated, not torn down.  Question is whether to turn it into apartment style living, or dorm rooms.  I'm for renovated dorm rooms, but I'm betting on apartment style rooms. 

(4) The parking lot just to the south of the softball field will be removed, and a parking structure will be placed just behind the Union.  Not sure on the timeframe, but it won't be next year.  Sounds more long-term.

Paul

okinawatyphoon

Can you post a link to the interview? I can't find it on their website.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

historyman

http://thesource95.com/

So you missed the tweet section that says

"Miss the President Heckler interview?  Follow the link below to hear it on our Soundcloud."

http://soundcloud.com/source95/valparaiso-university-president-mark-heckler-interview-with-wvur
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Parking garages make much more sense when you are trying to grow.  In regards to the sorority housing, that sounds very similar to what TCU did for their fraternities and sororities.  They have a large/long building for each side, and then separate entrances into each frat/sorority 'unit,' with walls separating the 'houses.' 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on December 05, 2014, 08:24:56 AM
President Heckler was interviewed by WVUR last month.  You can hear the interview on Soundcloud.

Highlights:

(1) Chapel addition coming along well.  Will be ready July 1.  Last remaining issue is replacing the pews: new pews v. chairs.  I'm for new pews but I'm betting they will go with chairs.

(2) Sorority housing will be built in the empty lot right across to the west from the ARC.  This sounds like one main building with five separate entrances, one for each sorority.  Will begin in the spring and will be finished by Christmas.  I'm for a new building with the quality of Beacon Hall, but I'm betting on something that is not as special as our recent new buildings.  Just my gut feeling.  The relatively short time frame for construction has me concerned. 

(3) Scheele will be renovated, not torn down.  Question is whether to turn it into apartment style living, or dorm rooms.  I'm for renovated dorm rooms, but I'm betting on apartment style rooms. 

(4) The parking lot just to the south of the softball field will be removed, and a parking structure will be placed just behind the Union.  Not sure on the timeframe, but it won't be next year.  Sounds more long-term.

Paul

If I were you, I'd stay away from Vagas!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

OK, I was told by a VU source that the sorority housing complex will be duplexes.  Hmmm....not sounding very good so far. 

Paul

bbtds

crusader05

The sorority houses are currently planned to be standalone town homes/duplexes that will house two groups.  The groups will share and entrance but will not have access to each others side or elevator. They will house approximately 25 women and will have space for chapter meetings, storage and studying as well as a kitchen. I'm not sure about final design plans but it seems these things have been generally agreed upon and relayed to alumnea.

It's a MUCH better situation they have now, as women actively choose not to rush due to current housing in scheele hall. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on December 05, 2014, 02:04:14 PMIf I were you, I'd stay away from Vagas!!

Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2014, 02:31:03 PMSomething bad going on in Hungary?

Much better, and cleaner, than what I was coming up with. 

...wait...that's not ... normal

;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 05, 2014, 05:39:58 PMMuch better, and cleaner, than what I was coming up with. 

...wait...that's not ... normal

You got that right.