• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Fieldhouse

Started by 78crusader, December 26, 2014, 10:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: VU72too on September 10, 2015, 09:50:19 AM
#62: Sorry I misstated the arena. I agree with a Fieldhouse approach. More benefits for an entire student body. I do disagree with the FB DNA...it's costly and likely hasn't carried the load budget wise for decades. Many progressive schools have figured this out. Lacrosse (not in Wisc.) is a great and growing sport that can add the male/female athletes as well cost effectively. I'm sure there are also other things to interest students for 5 Saturdays a year!
Lastly, adding football isn't going to increase enrollment in the sciences and engineering, quality facilities and faculty will. I don't recall many FB players in the science or engineering labs.  And oh, by the way, women are permitted to enroll in science and engineering programs and will if the programs are top notch, not just nursing... it is after all 2015, not 1950...Just sayin'

Well, I had some time on my hands so decided to check.  First let me say that lacrosse isn't going to help the male/female ratio. Adding a men's team would require, most likely, adding a female team.  The men's team isn't going to be 100 in number.  So I looked at the roster and found 97 with declared majors.  Of those, the most popular was Business (accounting, marketing, Finance)at 31.  Next was Engineering at 26, followed by Exercise science at 10.  I found 12 other areas of study including 6 in biology, 4 in pre-med and 2 in nursing areas.  These are smart kids.  I also found it interesting that the team hails from 20 different states.  This helps spread the word about Valpo.  Don't underestimate this when it comes to recruiting.

Not sure about the comment about women in sciences and engineering.  They can enroll in those fields all they want.  Having 26 more engineering students wouldn't happen if we had a lacrosse team.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: VU72too on September 10, 2015, 09:50:19 AMI don't recall many FB players in the science or engineering labs.
Uh, the previous dean of engineering was a football player. 

VU72too

Didn't mean to slight Dean Krueger...
Football complex for 6000? Why on earth? Avg. attendance is < 2400 Build it an they will come?
Valpo HS draws more

VU72: How are things on the southshore? Big game at 'boro tonight

vu72

Quote from: VU72too on September 10, 2015, 12:38:34 PM
Didn't mean to slight Dean Krueger...
Football complex for 6000? Why on earth? Avg. attendance is < 2400 Build it an they will come?
Valpo HS draws more

VU72: How are things on the southshore? Big game at 'boro tonight

Pretty sure he was speaking of Dean Craig O.  Not sure about the southshore.  Not much water here in Dallas!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

South Shore and 'boro references might be to my (not 72's) old address in Mass (now living in warmer ;) Wisconsin ) and the Pats-Steelers game tonight?

The current announced capacity of Brown Field is 5,000 (including the "1500" seats on the visitor side).  Why not add a few more seats while we're building is all I'm saying.  Those visitor bleachers would be moved to the new site and count as part of the total.  I'm also an optimist by nature (see Avatar) and as Valpo improves in football and starts winning consistently, along with the proposed increase in enrollment, it is not unrealistic to foresee greater attendance.  I know this is not the 60s or even the 90s, but Brown Field in the past regularly saw crowds of over 6,000 on rickety wooden bleachers and the since replaced home stands.  Right now our venue, though greatly improved by the new track and fencing, etc., is the worst in the PFL (even Davidson's Richardson Stadium has a 6,000 capacity). I'm  thinking (while remembering that many D-III facilities make Valpo's pale in comparison) that if we purport to be a D-I program, we need to reflect that in our facilities.   The same argument has been advanced for the ARC many times, and I completely agree with that too.

usc4valpo

Renovate the ARC before Brown Field, that is a no brainer. Basketball is the cash cow at Valpo.

VULB#62

Brown is done -- except for maybe better fencing and lighting, but those are not high priority.  I believe that what some have said is that in order to renovate the ARC, they first have to build the field house so they can move affected teams and offices, etc.  out there in order to do the reconstruction.  I've always had a question about that. 

Why can't it be done in stages? 

First stage - the arena: Build an addition (shown on the 30 year plan) on the north wall to (1) open that up for more seating (actually not that much seating overall because by doing so more chair backs could be added to the lower bowl). (2) Move and expand the concessions in the new addition.  (3) Add more lavatories as well as (4) construct a new and greatly expanded full service training and rehab area underneath (I talked with Rod last fall -- they are overcrowded and in bad shape what with the athletic population growing.) That first stage could be built totally independent of current activity/game schedules in the ARC while school is in session.  Visitors to the ARC wouldn't notice a thing inside UNTIL... the summer before the next school year WHEN... the upper wall between the arena and the new addition is taken down, heretofore blocked passageways to the new addition are opened and the new seating, including another student section on the east baseline, is installed in the lower bowl and second floor of the new addition.   That new second floor would provide one more gym/activity area behind movable bleacher seating.

Second Stage: Then (or simultaneously or slightly thereafter) (2a) build the field house complex discussed in previous posts, (2b) then temporarily relocate what has to be relocated there to finish the other ARC improvements as well as permanently relocate what/who will remain in the field house going forward and finally...

Third Stage:  Finish the rest of the ARC renovations completely and move back what/who needs to come back.

Vinny

The Brown Field complex needs bathrooms. It's unacceptable to have to use the ones in the ARC - which are so full during halftime that people AND players are lined around the door towards the arena.

If something as minor as that can't get accomplished, what makes anyone think Valpo can successfully pull off a) the construction of a new athletics facility b) a major renovation of its existing building?

It's a combination of not having any alumni who are/were superstars in their respective sports (like a Draymond Green at Michigan State), not receiving state money, and being a part of a University that is completely indifferent towards athletics.

Valpo went how long without a track, after it was in some sort of written "plan"?

The writing is on the wall - there's no money.

VULB#62

Temporary remediation plan: 6 porta-potties under the grandstand.  No, really, Vinny.  That was something else I was wondering about.  It's a long walk to the ARC (especially late in the season when the weather and the aluminum bleachers get cold) and standing in line is no fun.

78crusader

This is the front view of the Allen Athletic Center at Wabash College.  I'm not going to flood this board with pictures of fieldhouses at other schools, but I thought I'd post this one to give us an idea (1) of what VU should strive for when we build our fieldhouse, and (2) what VU is competing against.  This building was also designed by Hastings & Chivetta, the architectural firm hired by VU for the new science building. 

Paul

78crusader

The cost, by the way, was 15.4 million.

Paul

VULB#62

The Wabash facilities web page says $20MM, but what's a few mil.  What wasn't mentioned was when the Allen was completed to give us a sense of whether it was 2005  dollars or 2014 dollars.  Chatted with MLB who was familiar with the U of D Field house discussed earlier and he cautioned that their $18MM was in 2008 dollars. LESSON:  the longer Valpo waits the more expensive it's gonna be and I'm thinking construction cost inflation moves at a faster pace than general inflation rates (no evidence, just gut feeling). We're losing ground through inaction.

So, right now, forgetting varsity athletes for a moment, what does the university provide all 4000 students in the form of available recreation and fitness? 

Hilltop and the ARC -- already overcrowded and with most D-I sports having year-round programs going and fighting for scheduled times and locker space, the average student has limited access to the floor space and weight rooms on a day-to-day basis.  There is a "track" around the main floor, but limited locker/shower space for non-team members.
Hoger Track -- finally a place to run recreationally outdoors, but then comes winter.
Fitness Center -- Some nice weight training and CV machines - no changing facilities that I am aware of from the university writeup

What would a typical field house add/replace for the general student and faculty population?  4 indoor tennis/basketball courts inside a 6-lane 200meter indoor track.  Perhaps racquetball/handball courts.  Possibly consolidated (from Hilltop) and expanded student C-V and weight training and fitness room to replace the current building.  Student changing facilities.  [Added 9/14 ..... And studios for scheduled sessions like spinning, aerobics, yoga, pilates, etc.].  Varsity teams would be scheduled into the facility of course, but both the Hilltop/ARC and the field house would not be overcrowded nor over booked and there would be plenty of scheduled open time in both places for student recreation and fitness pursuits.  I would think a segment of prospective applicants would look favorably at this as added value for their educational investment and an added incentive to enroll. In other words, it might have a positive impact on what ValeOParadise found when responding to the US News rankings -- that only 18% of accepted students had Valpo as first choice.

usc4valpo

I did not know that Valpo was so strapped for cash.

VU72too

Hi # 62..sorry to hear you left for balmy Wisc. It was a "wicked bad" one last year...like your staged approach, but the other physical plant bldgs. need help too...Seems like other private schools can command higher tuition and fees and still draw well (students and athletes). If the facilities and faculty are top notch the kids and parents will be glad to come up with the cash. We sent 4 through college (none at VU) and paid the price (no aid). It was worth it as they all have  great careers. Not an easy answer to any of this.

VULB#62

My son and family live in Chestnut Hill, so I know what I escaped.  I was on campus Saturday and slowly drove around and took it all in under a sunny sky (in the morning at least).  It looks great. A very appealing campus and getting better yearly.  The ground is broken for both the sorority housing and the Chemistry building that will add to the appeal.  Like many on the forum, seeing the stark gray stone on the chapel addition did nothing for me, but the structural design and lines got my  :thumbsup:.

Back a few years, the university recognized the need for the Harre Union as a part of enhancing student life on campus.  It's working, but there is more to do.  We already have a very good academic reputation.  And yes, the university needs to continue to expand its academic infrastructure. But to compete in today's educational marketplace, the things that contribute to a great student life experience outside the classroom cannot be constantly postponed either.  Now that the union is done, IMO the next stage in getting there should be that field house and dorm renovation/construction, in that order -- but, then, I am a superficial guy (facilities impress me) and I lean heavily toward  athletics and recreation/fitness by nature. 

VULB#62

I just received the "Summer" issue of Valpo Magazine.  On page 8 was a full page rendering of the February 14, 1948 "Valparaiso University Bulletin of Alumni News."  [Sorry Couldn't find a link on the Valpo website for the Valpo mag picture.]

The headline reads ALUMNI START FUND FOR FIELDHOUSE MARCH FIRST  (The article beneath a drawing of the proposed field house reads as follows:)

The field house, pictured above is the project for the VU Alumni Fund that starts on March 1.  As shown here, the field house is 300 feet wide and 400 feet long.  It will be the first of three contemplated units in the complete athletic plant
    Capacity of the field house is not given but it is expected to be several times that of the present gymnasium. [Hilltop] No structural plans have been drawn since the building is still in the drawing stage and subject to slight change in design.
     The wooden floor in the field house will be dismountable and an inside track will circle the floor area.  It will be possible to schedule several into-mural games for the same time since the floor markings and moveable baskets will make up three basket ball courts.
     The alumni fund, not a drive or campaign, will be completely alumni-operated and will be an annual affair.  Emphasis will be placed on the number of alumni participating.  Complete details are given on page two.
[there is no page 2]

OK.  Where'd the   :censored:  money go?

valpo64

If the Alumni are handling funding for the Fieldhouse, does that mean renovations to the ARC are next on the agenda and could get started sooner than we thought?

VULB#62

(Unless you were kidding)  This was from 1948.  And it never happened.

valpotx

I see several smaller schools that are able to support the same amount of sports as Valpo, as well as scholarship football.  I would love to us in the Valley for all sports someday.  Maybe when we get to 6,000 undergrads?
"Don't mess with Texas"