• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso Law School to close, citing plummeting enrollment

Started by VU2014, November 16, 2017, 02:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

I just read this morning that 2 candidates appearing before a Committee in Washington prior to their respective judicial appointments for U S District Court Judges in Indiana were both Valpo Law School graduates.  It is a real bummer that the Law School  is finished.

valpopal

crusadermoe

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 21, 2019, 08:41:55 PM
So we needed permission to close it?....?   

I think the plan for closing had to be approved because the former Valpo Law students will seek law licenses and those must be approved by the American Bar Association.

crusader05

I think that's correct as they have a handful of students who couldn't transfer to another school that they wanted to teach to completion. I believe the ABA had to approve that plan to allow those students to sit for the bar. It's basically an approval of the wind-down plan to make sure remaining students are considered as graduating from an ABA accredited institution.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

NotBryceDrew

Any news on what the plan for the law school's building is?

bbtds

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on January 28, 2020, 10:50:31 PM
Any news on what the plan for the law school's building is?

I think wh has taken over the building with his militia.

Just kidding!

No news so far. Maybe they are waiting for a new president to make a decision.

David81

The VU Law Review published its final issue, containing a series of essays by faculty reflecting upon their experiences at VU Law and in some instances sharing their sorrow over the school's demise. I would say their words contain both gratitude and grace, especially in view of the surrounding circumstances. Here's the link for online access:
https://scholar.valpo.edu/vulr/

As a law professor who did his undergraduate work at Valpo, I've been familiar with VU Law for many decades, and I find this all too sad. For those of us with appointments at other than top tier law schools, VU Law's closing is a there-but-for-the-grace-of-God-go-I event. I teach at a regional law school that also had to weather the impact of Great Recession -- and now we're wondering what will happen due to the current pandemic.

This remains a very precarious time for legal education.

wh

I don't know what the legalities are, but as the father of a VU Law School graduate, I say give these extremely generous people their money back so it can continue to serve its intended purpose. 

valpotx

Makes sense that they would be able to choose where that money goes, if it was solely intended for furthering the efforts of VU's Law School.
"Don't mess with Texas"