• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Campus Tour

Started by loschwitz, January 17, 2022, 04:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loschwitz

The Campus Tour production for the University is now available for viewing.

What do you think?

Does it adequately address the issue of academics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra0YVgkklmk

David81

Quote from: loschwitz on January 17, 2022, 04:59:00 PM

Does it adequately address the issue of academics?

True, they're selling the sizzle more than the steak. But it may be what modern university marketing to 16-18 year olds is all about. And keep in mind that VU must compete against schools in livelier metro areas and classic university towns. So it's important to market the overall experience. (And I must say that said student experience looks a heckuva lot more engaging than the one of my VU days circa 1980.  :lol:)

President Padilla's appearance at the end gives the video some welcomed heft. When he says this isn't the place to coast, but rather that we're going to make you sweat and challenge yourself to grow, he's sending a message to the kinds of students that VU should want to have on campus.

vu72

Valpo now has video presentations on most majors.  Take a look at this one on Pre-med.  I'm no pre-med student but this looks very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkOM4Eg0UXE&t=22s
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I started Pre-Med, and then realized that Organic Chemistry sucks :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 06, 2022, 01:51:31 PM
Valpo now has video presentations on most majors.  Take a look at this one on Pre-med.  I'm no pre-med student but this looks very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkOM4Eg0UXE&t=22s

Wow, sign me up! lol  This is an absolutely outstanding preview presentation. The professors were warm, engaging, caring. The facilities and equipment look state-of-the-art. The comment about opportunities to do research at the undergrad level and the edxclusive staff focus on undergrads is a huge selling point, IMO. Loved it all.

BTW, the professor said that 80% of Valpo Pre-Med grads get into Medical School. This compares to 46% acceptance rate nationally. That in itself is a HUGE selling point.

The following statistics, obtained from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), paint a daunting picture about medical schools admissions. These figures speak for themselves.

In 2019, 53,371 students applied to medical schools. However, only 21,869 of those applicants were accepted into at least one medical school. In other words, 54% of applicants got rejected to every medical school they applied to.
In 2019, the average science GPA of all applicants was 3.48. However, the average science GPA of all matriculates was higher at 3.66.
In 2019, the average MCAT score of all applicants was 506.1. However, the average MCAT score of all matriculates was much higher at 511.5.
Only about 30% of all applicants who have a GPA between 3.4 and 3.6 get accepted into a medical school. In other words, 70% of applicants who have a GPA between 3.4 and 3.6 do not get into a single medical school. For those who have a GPA between 3.6 and 3.8, the chances of getting into a medical school increase to 47%. About 66% of applicants with a GPA greater or equal to 3.8 get accepted into medical school. Every year, a typical applicant applies to about 15 medical schools.