• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Strategic Plan

Started by vu72, August 06, 2022, 10:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Here is an update from President Padilla. Some interesting quotes "We also require the right facilities
to optimize our ability to attract and retain the best students and athletes, particularly
for the College of Nursing and Health Professions, our residential spaces, and athletics
facilities."  and "This idea of leadership goes well beyond the notion of positional
leadership to incorporate the many ways individuals can demonstrate their
commitment and actions to reach a shared mission. Athletics is a prime example of cocurricular leadership development and this plan outlines our continued investment in NCAA Division I athletics by ensuring competitive facilities and a mix of programs to
positively impact the University and surrounding community."

https://www.valpo.edu/strategic-plan/

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

The plan calls for a new nursing building, to be constructed either off-campus or on the main campus. AGREE this is much needed and should be a top priority. DISAGREE that locating it off campus is a good idea.

Paul

vu84v2

Quote from: 78crusader on August 06, 2022, 10:52:02 AM
The plan calls for a new nursing building, to be constructed either off-campus or on the main campus. AGREE this is much needed and should be a top priority. DISAGREE that locating it off campus is a good idea.

Paul

Agree that a nursing building is needed and should be on-campus.

On a separate note, there is no mention of a new building or major renovation for the College of Business. The current building is far too small and significantly outdated - especially for disciplines that are more likely to attract new students than many other disciplines. This was in prior plans/statements and seems to have been de-prioritized.

On top of that, I question whether there are viable business plans for undergraduate online education and a two-year associate program for first generation students at a school like Valparaiso. It is very doubtful that Valparaiso can create a business model in which tuition is competitive with current options that are much less expensive.

78crusader

Absent in the Strategic Plan summary is a "Commitment to Freedom of Expression" similar to what Purdue University and other schools have adopted.

The word "Christian" does not appear anywhere in the "Strategic Plan" summary.

The summary says the campus and curriculum will be "revolutionized." While I agree that change is needed at VU, I would need to find out what the current administration has in mind to "revolutionize" the university before climbing on board.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on August 06, 2022, 02:31:15 PMThe word "Christian" does not appear anywhere in the "Strategic Plan" summary.

Come on Paul, I think you are trying to find a problem.

The very first article called "The Plan" states the following:

As a Lutheran University, we will value each person's calling in the way that we teach, providing opportunities to grow as both servants and leaders through reflection and action. We will be a community of hope, letting the light shine through us as beacons for the world to see.

We believe that God is calling Valparaiso University to continue the work of our founders by making a life-changing education accessible to all those who want to live a life of purpose dedicated to loving our neighbors. We are called to prepare students to lead and serve in church and society. This grounding in the Lutheran tradition is a fundamental feature of the institution forming an unbreakable foundation that enables a robust freedom of inquiry to unlock the mysteries of the world and its inhabitants while simultaneously helping all of its constituents to identify their calling and work to meet the world's greatest needs. Valpo students will learn to make a living and a life that matters.

The last time I checked, being Lutheran certainly qualified as Christian.  If You changed the words from "As a Lutheran University"  to "As a Christian University" you would achieve your goal but would simply blend Valpo into the Evangelical world of "Bible" institutions.  Not good.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

This part of the presentation focuses on Athletics and certainly points to a new ARC being a centerpiece of this plan.

https://www.valpo.edu/strategic-plan/lead/

78crusader

vu72 - you make good points.

Paul

valpotx

He also mentions keeping a tab on developing sports that Valpo could add in the future.  I think undoing the mistake of reducing Men's Tennis and Men's Soccer would be a great start, as they were 2 of our more successful programs...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on August 06, 2022, 07:00:49 PM
He also mentions keeping a tab on developing sports that Valpo could add in the future.  I think undoing the mistake of reducing Men's Tennis and Men's Soccer would be a great start, as they were 2 of our more successful programs...

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Men's tennis perhaps but not Men's soccer.  Only half of the Valley schools sponsor Men's soccer and the reason is the cost.  We had players from all over the world and still weren't successful.  I think you might have to go back to the Mid-Con days to find a championship.  Recruiting must have cost a bundle and it is a non-revenue sport.  The elimination also, most likely, had to do with Title 9 issues.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on August 07, 2022, 07:46:32 AM

Men's tennis perhaps but not Men's soccer.  Only half of the Valley schools sponsor Men's soccer and the reason is the cost.  We had players from all over the world and still weren't successful.  I think you might half to go back to the Mid-Con days to find a championship.  Recruiting must have cost a bundle and it is a non-revenue sport.  The elimination also, most likely, had to do with Title 9 issues.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

I thought this plan was actually well written and really needed at this time. It's really important to define what the university is and where you want to be, and address the challenges and/or roadblocks in front of them.

What is important is Whatever Valpo does, it needs to align with this strategy. Valpo has tried to cater to a wider range or programs that they can handle,  where in some scenarios they have programs just for the sake of having them. Athletics has been leading that way generally and that needs to end. I think with the personnel they are bringing in they are on their way.

Again liberal arts are great and it needs to blend with strong STEM programs to establish well rounded people - this will be a real strategic advantage for Valpo. Not that I have a literate strength, I work with a lot of engineers seriously lacking communication and writing skills, mostly coming from state schools. This is an opportunity for Valpo to win.

usc4valpo

It would interesting to see why soccer tanked. You can bring in a broad international base. Was it also because to compete it required complete scholarships?

As for tennis, many schools are removing these programs. Stanford, who has a huge endowment, got rid of some Olympic sports and many think it's a wise move as it didnt align with their strategy.

More needs to be invested in the flagship sport, basketball, especially with NIL and the downward spiral of the NCAA.

vu84v2

I am not sure of the costs (relative to soccer), but I am sure that Valpo will evaluate whether they should add lacrosse (men's and women's). Unlike many sports, you can offer scholarships to attract the better players - but you can also offer non-scholarship roster spots to anyone who has played in high school (sort of a hybrid between the basketball model and the football model). In such a model, Valpo could have 15 partial scholarship players and then 20-25 non-scholarship players for each of the two teams. I know little to nothing about this sport...just suggesting what might work in attracting students to Valpo.

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 07, 2022, 08:18:27 AM

Again liberal arts are great and it needs to blend with strong STEM programs to establish well rounded people - this will be a real strategic advantage for Valpo. Not that I have a literate strength, I work with a lot of engineers seriously lacking communication and writing skills, mostly coming from state schools. This is an opportunity for Valpo to win.

Great point here. My opinion is that Valpo has provided excellent development in critical thinking, communication and writing skills for engineering and other STEM students for many years and that this is a real strategic advantage. The needed improvement is marketing this strength and the value it has for students in their future professional careers. The marketing from Valpo tends to be too generic in that it spans value offered by the entire university, which is OK but prevents Valpo from articulating strengths in specific areas.

David81

I like how they're acknowledging the challenges of the current situation:

SURVIVING
WHERE WE ARE
"Budget challenges"
"Low Enrollment"
"Compensation below peers"
"Lack of trust/hope for the future"

When I see strategic plans that dodge hard truths, I disregard them automatically as fluff. At least they're acknowledging the starting place.

valpo tundra

usc4valpo-While it is true that Stanford briefly cut 11 Varsity non-revenue sports, all of them were reinstated after a major outcry.

crusadermoe

I like the direction, candor, and boldness.  The term "revolutionize" might not be helpful due to political connotations, but that is a small point.

All of the categories will need a big influx of money, especially annual revenue. But if you don't lay out a vision, you won't have a chance.  Box checked!!

vu84v2

Quote from: crusadermoe on August 09, 2022, 10:59:54 AM
I like the direction, candor, and boldness.  The term "revolutionize" might not be helpful due to political connotations, but that is a small point.

All of the categories will need a big influx of money, especially annual revenue. But if you don't lay out a vision, you won't have a chance.  Box checked!!

I agree with the points about direction, candor and boldness. My concern was that there were a lot of other points in the plan, which might dilute attention from the key objectives. But making sure that there is appropriate attention to the most important objectives is a management/leadership issue and I think President Padilla will ensure proper focus.

historyman

Quote from: valpo tundra on August 08, 2022, 10:33:49 PM
usc4valpo-While it is true that Stanford briefly cut 11 Varsity non-revenue sports, all of them were reinstated after a major outcry.

And at Stanford all the "athletes" actually play on the respective teams.

historyman

Quote from: valpo22 on August 10, 2022, 04:26:56 PM
Stanford also cut Cantonese and was only going to have a Mandarin Chinese program, until a donor stepped up to endow ongoing courses.

Oh my, Can't(n)on Mandarin Chinese only.

crusader05

In regards to the new Nursing Building. There has been an increase in Chicago based hospitals creating Satellite locations in Northwest Indiana including Luries and University of Chicago. I wonder if there could be opportunities there to create a new nursing school that also acts as a training facility for those already in the work force. Getting some of the hospitals to invest in new training and teaching equipment and location that can be used by all would be both a boon to the community and the university.

oklahomamick

Overall, the soccer program wasn't successful.  However, it was the first Valpo sport to win a HL season title. 
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: crusader05 on August 11, 2022, 08:43:14 AM
In regards to the new Nursing Building. There has been an increase in Chicago based hospitals creating Satellite locations in Northwest Indiana including Luries and University of Chicago. I wonder if there could be opportunities there to create a new nursing school that also acts as a training facility for those already in the work force. Getting some of the hospitals to invest in new training and teaching equipment and location that can be used by all would be both a boon to the community and the university.

Fort Wayne Journal Gazette article about Trine doing basically what is quoted above.

Trine University Fort Wayne
Opening in fall 2024, the approximately $40 million Trine University Fort Wayne campus, developed in close partnership with Parkview Health, will employ 100 faculty and staff and serve nearly 700 students in Trine's College of Health Professions, which currently includes its physical therapy, physician assistant, speech-language pathology, nursing and surgical technology programs. The new space will allow CHP to add new programs including occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, medical science and emergency medical sciences.

In addition to state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories, the new facility will feature, in partnership with the Parkview Mirro Center, an innovative Simulated Patient Care Center including mock surgery and emergency room suites and exam and patient rooms. The building also will contain ample resources for student support, including a library, bookstore, gathering area, academic support and counseling services.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo tundra

Frank Mrvan helped secure some 1 million dollars that the Nursing School will use to bridge the present facilities with the future ones. To attract new students and retain present ones, a new Nursing complex is a higher priority than a new Arc.