• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso in the midst of transformative change

Started by wh, August 20, 2023, 02:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Valparaiso: 'In the middle of everything'
By Philip Potempa / August 3, 2023

https://nwindianabusiness.com/article/valparaiso-in-the-middle-of-everything-august-september-2023/

Author

Philip Potempa

Philip Potempa is a 1992 graduate of Valparaiso University. He covered entertainment in Indiana, Michigan and Illinois for The South Bend Tribune in 1992 before joining The Times of Northwest Indiana and Illinois in 1995 where he worked in features for more than two decades. In 2016, he joined The Post-Tribune and Chicago Tribune Media Group. He is the author of three published books chronicling stories, interviews, recipes and memories from his personal and professional experiences. He also is an adjunct instructor in communication at both Valparaiso University and Purdue University Northwest.

VULB#62

Thanks for posting this WH.  Impressive, forward thinking.  It makes the future city of Valparaiso even more attractive. As I scanned the article I was hoping to see more of the university as a player in the city's growth. Hopefully Padilla and company will proactively seek a bigger role in the city's growth that also parallel's the university's move into the future.

wh

Here's a simple win-win between university and community working together.

Mercer visitors can get discounted hotel rates through new University partnership
By Jennifer Falk - August 15, 2023

https://den.mercer.edu/mercer-visitors-can-get-discounted-hotel-rates-through-new-university-partnership/

I'm picturing a plethora of discounts of every type imaginable, available exclusively to VU students. Gold card/VIP concept. The Chamber and university working together.

VULB#62

Damn straight!   Good town/gown relationships are symbiotic.

A high end Valparaiso hotel offering special VU discounts could help fill their place at times - think "Official Hotel of Beacon Basketball"! What restaurants wouldn't like to have an electronic banner at VU BB games proclaiming they are the official post-game bar and restaurant of D-I Valpo Basketball.

There can be even more of this.  Every weekend VU draws hundreds of parents who come to see their kids, watch games, yaddah, yaddah.  Partner! partner! partner!

Hey, Roger's dynamism alone can pull a lot of this together without him having anything to do with a damn thing.

And here's the thing. VU doesn't need to make beau coupe bucks off this (that initially could be a turnoff). The big thing is to get the community and businesses to feel good about associating with the university (i.e., do it at cost). It could snowball from there.

wh

Quote from: valpo22 on August 20, 2023, 08:16:04 PM
These city development efforts seem great, but also rather adjacent to the critical reputation & enrollment issue which only the university itself can improve.

Just as most familiies don't research or choose a vascular surgeon for their loved one based on the fact that the doctor's offices are near some nice city parks and discounted restaurants, so too most parents aren't choosing where to send their kid and pay $$$ tuition based on the perks of the Popcorn Parade or the prospect of getting hotel discount if they come to visit. Besides, most the nice spots downtown are not within easy walking distance of campus and not a terribly large part of student experience.

It is certainly great that the wider city of Valparaiso is doing well - but VU needs to keep its eye on its own ball, striving to defend and prove the quality of its academic programs and student life.

I'm afraid you missed my point. I should have done a better job explaining.

crusadermoe

Well it's certainly both/and. 

The university will need to decide their target mix of regional students and then also target a 2nd group "outside the region" that meets a TBD strategic group profile of students. They will need to engage both to be viable after the enrollment cliff of 2026 even if it proves not to be a coherent mix. 

The only answer will be giving or 3rd source money that can make the family costs affordable AND provide income to VU.

David81

Quote from: valpo22 on August 20, 2023, 08:16:04 PM
These city development efforts seem great, but also rather adjacent to the critical reputation & enrollment issue which only the university itself can improve.

Just as most familiies don't research or choose a vascular surgeon for their loved one based on the fact that the doctor's offices are near some nice city parks and discounted restaurants, so too most parents aren't choosing where to send their kid and pay $$$ tuition based on the perks of the Popcorn Parade or the prospect of getting hotel discount if they come to visit. Besides, most the nice spots downtown are not within easy walking distance of campus and not a terribly large part of student experience.

It is certainly great that the wider city of Valparaiso is doing well - but VU needs to keep its eye on its own ball, striving to defend and prove the quality of its academic programs and student life.

I think there are genuine opportunities for VU and Valparaiso to grow a much more positive and interactive town-gown relationship. Among other things, downtown Valparaiso has really become a much more attractive and interesting location.

But I do nod to valpo22's point about the proximity of the downtown from the campus. I wonder if the university has ever considered doing an occasional shuttle bus service and maybe working with local vendors to promote their student discounts, that kind of thing. The present downtown has the potential to provide a genuine "college town" experience if more students can spend some time there in a convenient way.

Hey, at least the off-campus area has come a long way from the days when the most memorable off-campus site for many undergraduates was Jackson's Bar.  :lol: :lol: :lol: (I was there once, and let's just say that the looks I got from some of the locals -- like I was the first Asian person they'd ever seen there, which may have been true -- caused it to be my only visit.  :))

vu72

One of President Heckler's accomplishments that will hopefully add to the town/gown thinking, was the acquisition of the hospital site, 17 acres. Where would the new arena thinking be if instead, we had a cheesy Super 8 motel on that site?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I agree we need to focus on being a school but good town and gown cooperation, especially if it leads to increased donations/funds/grant opportunities outside of the alumni base/what faculty can find and attain helps the school but helping with things we know matter to retention and enrollment on the surface without taking money that could go to faculty. If you think an arena or new nursing school are needed but both are expensive than finding other ways to pay for the structures so that the learning and student experience can thrive is a good idea.

I think academics have an understandable distaste/instinctive reaction to words like business and investment but an immediate rejection of them can lead to a refusal to deal in the reality of money needs in a more demanding climate.

David81

I do like what valpo22 just wrote about Valpo's LEGO-type core and the importance of reaffirming it: "Valpo used to have a pretty strong Lego... Valpo long delivered on its reputation in the private university realm, which was a strength in combining liberal arts and professional study, with a close-knit community, personalized focus in undergrad teaching and pedagogy, in order to produce humble but very competent thinkers, writers, and reasoners. That was the Lego and it was a respected Lego."

And to that I would simply add that town and gown can positively or negatively affect student recruitment and the student experience. Even if Valparaiso cannot be a Bloomington or a Madison in terms of the surrounding community, availability of and access to relatively affordable eateries, coffee houses, retail shops, etc. makes a difference in terms of VU's overall appeal and the day-to-day experience of attending the University.

Indeed, for those of us whose VU degrees trace back to the previous century, how many recall the immediate off-campus area and downtown Valparaiso touted to us as reasons to go to VU? The current situation is much improved.

Today, at least, there options beyond the Donut Hut (I may be imagining a fly strip hanging down there), Greek's Pizza (don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have one delivered right now), the Stromboli truck (a major contributor to the "Freshman 15"), and Alpha dogs (pale hot dogs sold in the dorms by sorority women not exactly happy to be traipsing thru them LOL).

(Sorry, got a little nostalgic there, though to be honest, they seemed like pretty limited options even back then. 🤣)

VULB#62

I can see it already. The Journeyman Arena!  The Distillery Court!

wh

Continued progress on adding to the character of the downtown. Becoming a regional dining/ community activity destination.

Journeyman Distillery's $40 million Valpo campus will feature whiskey garden, ancient beer recipes, karaoke pizza bar and sandwiches 'bigger than your head'

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/valparaiso-journeyman-distillery-american-factory/article_c1896924-6487-11ee-bf00-b75cfb492998.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

crusadermoe

Uh....seems like the court name is claimed by Homer.   But a huge arena name sponsor deal for 10 years or more would be nice .

valpopal

This week the university has begun its demolition of Strongbow's restaurant. I have fond memories of that place.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on January 05, 2024, 09:25:44 AM
This week the university has begun its demolition of Strongbow's restaurant. I have fond memories of that place.

A small but important step toward securing the university's future.

historyman

Quote from: wh on January 07, 2024, 03:37:42 PM
Quote from: valpopal on January 05, 2024, 09:25:44 AM

A small but important step toward securing the university's future.

So the comedy club experiment was a failure.  :-(   

This is not a laughing matter.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann