• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lilly Endowment grants $146M to Indiana colleges

Started by KreitzerSTL, December 16, 2023, 11:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KreitzerSTL

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2023/12/15/lilly-endowment-gives-146-million-in-grants-to-six-indiana-colleges/

Lilly has issued major grants to Ball State, Purdue, and other Indiana universities for community partnership endeavors.

A little surprised/disappointed not to see Valpo on the list. I had thought we were close with the Lilly Foundation?

VULB#62

Many of the proposed projects that were granted had something to do with bringing campus and community closer.  That's something we've discussed on this forum.

historyman

Quote from: KreitzerSTL on December 16, 2023, 11:19:54 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2023/12/15/lilly-endowment-gives-146-million-in-grants-to-six-indiana-colleges/

Lilly has issued major grants to Ball State, Purdue, and other Indiana universities for community partnership endeavors.

A little surprised/disappointed not to see Valpo on the list. I had thought we were close with the Lilly Foundation?

Also Lilly is close to both Purdue & Butler which have pharmacy schools that provide pharmacy students that become registered pharmacists in Indiana & researchers for the Lilly Corporation. If you go into any pharmacy in Central Indiana you'll most likely find a Purdue or Butler pharmacy student working as a trainee or brand new pharmacist as an intern.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu84v2

Any university seeking this grant needed to submit a proposal. We do not know if Valpo submitted a proposal.

KreitzerSTL

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 16, 2023, 02:40:31 PM
Any university seeking this grant needed to submit a proposal. We do not know if Valpo submitted a proposal.

Could the grant have applied to any of the capital projects we know are in the works? Dorms, nursing building, or arena? Probably depends on how you sell it, but I would bet dorms would be a long shot. Nursing has a new partnership with UChicago, right? That seems community oriented.

If Valpo didn't apply... why not??

valpopal

Quote from: KreitzerSTL on December 16, 2023, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on December 16, 2023, 02:40:31 PM

Could the grant have applied to any of the capital projects we know are in the works? Dorms, nursing building, or arena? Probably depends on how you sell it, but I would bet dorms would be a long shot. Nursing has a new partnership with UChicago, right? That seems community oriented.

If Valpo didn't apply... why not??
Valpo did submit a proposal and can try again in the spring during a second round of applications.

KreitzerSTL

Quote from: valpopal on December 17, 2023, 12:53:39 AM
Valpo did submit a proposal and can try again in the spring during a second round of applications.

Appreciate the insider info, 'pal. Do you know what the grant would have supported?

crusadermoe

Any idea how many of the schools in Indiana got grants in the first round? and/or what size of grants we are talking about?

crusadermoe

Never mind, I answered both my questions and Kretizers. 

Schools winning the grants were: 

$30M Taylor, $25M Wabash, $25M Earlham, $25M Ball Sate, $25M Purdue, $5.8m Indiana State.

https://lillyendowment.org/news/initiative-seeks-to-strengthen-quality-of-life-and-place-in-indiana-communities/

David81

President Padilla has been playing up VU's future as being more intertwined with the NW Indiana region. This Lilly grant program seems to be a good fit for that, so hopefully future applications will bear some fruit. That's a boatload of grant money being put on the table.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

KreitzerSTL

Quote from: vu72 on December 18, 2023, 04:14:19 PM
Maybe you guys missed this:

There's a big difference between $750k over three years, vs. $35m all at once.