• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Opens Satelite Campus in Chicago

Started by valpopal, May 10, 2012, 10:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Received the following from President Heckler this morning:

It is with great anticipation and pleasure that I announce today the expansion of Valparaiso University into Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood. The University is partnering with the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago to open a satellite campus.

Valparaiso University of Chicago is planning to offer three graduate programs at the new location, as well as an immigration law clinic.

Growth is a key focus of Valpo's Strategic Plan, and Chicago has a sizeable higher education community, which we are pleased to be joining. After much consideration and deliberation, we identified several graduate programs that we feel will add value and are very relevant to the higher education market in Chicago.

Classes are scheduled to begin this fall. The three initial graduate programs planned are a Master of Business   Administration; a Master of Health Administration; and a Master of Ministry Administration, which will be the first of its kind offered in the Chicago region.

Additionally, the Hyde Park campus will house the Valparaiso University Law School's Immigration Clinic. At the clinic, Valparaiso Law student representatives will learn trial practice, legal research and writing, and client interviewing and counseling skills by representing immigrants with claims grounded in human rights and domestic and international law. The immigration clinic will open in August.

The Master of Health Administration and Master of Ministry Administration are new programs for Valparaiso University.

The Master of Health Administration reflects the University's long history of engagement in issues   of health care, driven in part by the Lutheran tradition of outreach to the community through hospitals, nursing homes, other health care facilities, and indemnity programs. The program is grounded in best practices in the health care and business fields, and prepares persons of all beliefs to deal with current and forthcoming ethical challenges of medicine and health care.

The Master of Ministry Administration degree was created after much research with the faith-based community and focuses directly on the business needs of faith-based organizations.   

I am grateful to everyone who worked to make this partnership come to fruition and excited about the possibilities that lie ahead.

vu72

Very exciting and can only help build the Valpo brand in Chicago as we graduate more and more people and in particular those already established in the area.  I continue to be extremely impressed with the leadership and style of our President.  A very wise choice by the Board.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I'd heard this was coming, and agree that it sounds like a good move.

I wonder what rooms, exactly, they'll be using.  Could be at LSTC proper.  Or, I heard that McCormick (PCUSA) seminary, which was immediately adjacent (indeed - the buildings are even connected by a walkway), is no longer using their building.  It's more space than these three programs would need, I'm sure.  But, it makes me wonder.

vufan75

Good news! I agree with 72 in his assessment of President Heckler, and also his administration and staff. We have some progressive thinkers in the group starting at the top, which is good to see!   

valpotx

Sounds like a wise decision to get more graduate students from the area.  UT (Austin) does this with their top 10 MBA program here in Dallas, and it adds a good candidate pool from an area that typically would not go to Austin just for graduate school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderjoe

Meh.  So there is now VU, and VU-C, kind of like there is IU and IU-N.  Cool, I guess.

And the reason why VU didn't simply offer both degrees online so that it could not only attract students from Chicago but also around the world was because????

vufan75

A news release from the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago posted today:

http://www.lstc.edu/communications/news/?a=article&id=357

StlVUFan

Quote from: vufan75 on May 10, 2012, 04:42:44 PM

When I was pursuing a Master of Arts in Theology at LSTC, one of my professors also taught at Valpo University.

There was a time when such an arrangement would have been a problem for Valpo (ecclesiastically), but those days are long gone ;)

agibson

Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 10, 2012, 04:39:12 PMAnd the reason why VU didn't simply offer both degrees online so that it could not only attract students from Chicago but also around the world was because????

From the LSTC press release,

"Valparaiso University has had an established MBA program for more than 10 years. Traditional classes are broadcast live over the Internet with the use of proprietary, fully synchronous software called MBA LIVEĀ®. Coupled with Valparaiso University's live classroom delivery technology, courses can be taken in the classrooms at Hyde Park or from anywhere in the country (or the world). This unique and convenient delivery method enables Valpo to target working professional and nontraditional students. "

Not sure if that applies to all the degrees (why not?) or just the MBA.

I'd missed the Maser of Ministry Administration degree on first reading.  Could be pretty interesting.  A noted lack in traditional seminary training.

Also missed that they were calling it "Valparaiso University of Chicago".  Weird!

http://valpo.edu/chicago/

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 10, 2012, 04:51:18 PMWhen I was pursuing a Master of Arts in Theology at LSTC, one of my professors also taught at Valpo University.

There was a time when such an arrangement would have been a problem for Valpo (ecclesiastically), but those days are long gone ;)

I didn't realize you were at LSTC!  My wife split her time with PLTS, but her MDiv is from LSTC.  We lived there next to campus for a year.

Who was the switch hitting prof?  Carolyn Leeb is the first name to come to mind - at least I'm fairly sure she has taught at both.  But maybe that's the wrong era?

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 10, 2012, 04:51:18 PM

When I was pursuing a Master of Arts in Theology at LSTC, one of my professors also taught at Valpo University.

I'm sure you might not be aware but in certain circles in Ft Wayne and St.Louis this isn't going to look very good to some LCMS people. Of course the idea that Valpo can be "trusted" with theology may have sailed a long time ago. FWAlum could probably tell us more.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on May 10, 2012, 05:25:09 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on May 10, 2012, 04:51:18 PMWhen I was pursuing a Master of Arts in Theology at LSTC, one of my professors also taught at Valpo University.

I didn't realize you were at LSTC!  My wife split her time with PLTS, but her MDiv is from LSTC.  We lived there next to campus for a year.

Who was the switch hitting prof?  Carolyn Leeb is the first name to come to mind - at least I'm fairly sure she has taught at both.  But maybe that's the wrong era?
I don't remember his name, only his gender ;)  This would have been in early 2000.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on May 10, 2012, 08:29:13 PM

I'm sure you might not be aware but in certain circles in Ft Wayne and St.Louis this isn't going to look very good to some LCMS people. Of course the idea that Valpo can be "trusted" with theology may have sailed a long time ago. FWAlum could probably tell us more.

I am very much of all this.  I studied theology at the feet of 2 professors fired from Concordia Seminary in 1974 for teaching "that which is not to be tolerated in the church of God."  In more recent years Concordia has had more moderate times.  During said period, I often heard that Fort Wayne's seminary had become the new conservative stalwart in the LCMS and that they were going through some of the same trauma that St. Louis went through in the late 60s/early 70s.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on May 10, 2012, 08:29:13 PM

[/b]

I'm sure you are correct on this issue.  The idea of "open and independent" don't fit very well into the LCMS playbook.  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

StlVU you said:
"I am very much of all this.  I studied theology at the feet of 2 professors fired from Concordia Seminary in 1974 for teaching "that which is not to be tolerated in the church of God."  In more recent years Concordia has had more moderate times.  During said period, I often heard that Fort Wayne's seminary had become the new conservative stalwart in the LCMS and that they were going through some of the same trauma that St. Louis went through in the late 60s/early 70s."  Wow.

Wait...... (let me get this straight) In 1974 there was only one "that which is tolerated in the [only - i.e., specifically designated] church of God"?  That philosophy, and a bomb in your shoe, would get you arrested on a plane these days.

I had a number of Concordia Prep (Bronxville) classmates who were part of the church in exile, but didn't know these details.  Thanks.

StlVUFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 22, 2012, 10:29:15 PM
StlVU you said:
"I am very much of all this.  I studied theology at the feet of 2 professors fired from Concordia Seminary in 1974 for teaching "that which is not to be tolerated in the church of God."  In more recent years Concordia has had more moderate times.  During said period, I often heard that Fort Wayne's seminary had become the new conservative stalwart in the LCMS and that they were going through some of the same trauma that St. Louis went through in the late 60s/early 70s."  Wow.

Wait...... (let me get this straight) In 1974 there was only one "that which is tolerated in the [only - i.e., specifically designated] church of God"?  That philosophy, and a bomb in your shoe, would get you arrested on a plane these days.

Oh, hardly.  They did approach ecumenical dialogue that way (we won't have full communion with you unless you agree with us on <laundry list>), but that did not make them terrorists by any stretch of the imagination.  I do not feel welcome in the denomination that I grew up in because I side with the exiles, but I don't fear for my life when I'm around them.

For that matter, they would have said that if you could point out their errors, they would gladly accept correction.  When they said the church of God, they were obviously referring to what Melanchthon called the "invisible church", namely, the authentic church of Jesus Christ, wherever that might be.  They were of course quite confident that they were part of that authentic church (and it would probably have been like pulling teeth to get them to see the need for self-correction), but church in this context is *not* equated with any one denomination, even LCMS.

VULB#62

Of course my reference was tongue-in-cheek, but exclusionary and\or extreme beliefs of any kind, not just religious, rub me the wrong way. Obviously, the poster child for that is the quasi-religious political movement out of the mideast - hence the allusion to it.

StlVUFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 23, 2012, 12:18:34 PM
Of course my reference was tongue-in-cheek, but exclusionary and\or extreme beliefs of any kind, not just religious, rub me the wrong way. Obviously, the poster child for that is the quasi-religious political movement out of the mideast - hence the allusion to it.

Understood.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on May 10, 2012, 08:29:13 PMI'm sure you might not be aware but in certain circles in Ft Wayne and St.Louis this isn't going to look very good to some LCMS people. Of course the idea that Valpo can be "trusted" with theology may have sailed a long time ago. FWAlum could probably tell us more.
Unfortunately you are probably correct, it will not play well here. The seminary here in Fort Wayne is the most conservative of the seminaries.  However, I think the issue with VU is more on the lay person level, they seem to be the ones that really get worked up about this kind of stuff. The president and many of the faculty are friends of mine.  Several of them have had or currently have children at VU.  They understand the value of education and in many cases have studied in very diverse situations.  Take my friend Arthur A. Just, Jr. Ph.D. for instance, a brilliant man IMO, two of his children have gone to VU.  I was very happy when Lawrence Rast was named the new president of CTSFW.  Larry is conservative but also extremely down to earth.  Here is a link to his blog Rastaman Vibrations.  I am sure I will get a number of people at church asking me what in the heck is going on at VU, I am kind of getting tired of this question.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

Quote from: FWalum on May 24, 2012, 12:37:58 PM
Quote from: bbtds on May 10, 2012, 08:29:13 PMI'm sure you might not be aware but in certain circles in Ft Wayne and St.Louis this isn't going to look very good to some LCMS people. Of course the idea that Valpo can be "trusted" with theology may have sailed a long time ago. FWAlum could probably tell us more.
Unfortunately you are probably correct, it will not play well here. The seminary here in Fort Wayne is the most conservative of the seminaries.  However, I think the issue with VU is more on the lay person level, they seem to be the ones that really get worked up about this kind of stuff. The president and many of the faculty are friends of mine.  Several of them have had or currently have children at VU.  They understand the value of education and in many cases have studied in very diverse situations.  Take my friend Arthur A. Just, Jr. Ph.D. for instance, a brilliant man IMO, two of his children have gone to VU.  I was very happy when Lawrence Rast was named the new president of CTSFW.  Larry is conservative but also extremely down to earth.  Here is a link to his blog Rastaman Vibrations.  I am sure I will get a number of people at church asking me what in the heck is going on at VU, I am kind of getting tired of this question.
I would have thought LCMS folks in sync with the Ft Wayne seminary would have given up on VU a long time ago when they started allowing females to officiate in the chapel.  It would mildly surprise me to hear that the campus' Lutheran status was still up in the air with such folks and that this particular move would even register on their radar screen (unless of course they need something to gripe about  ::) -- As of a couple of years ago, I was still getting regular rants from conservative friends about Bill Clinton's presidency).

StlVUFan

For anyone who grew up Lutheran in Valpo, I should clarify a previous remark by saying that I *do* feel welcome at Immanuel Lutheran Church, because I've worshiped there in recent times.  They are an exception to the rule, and probably not the only one.  Sadly, I'm not sure I'm welcome in the Lutheran church I was confirmed in, but I've never tested that (for anyone not familiar with Lutheran controversies -- God bless you, by the way! -- I'm ELCA and thus suspect in official LCMS terms).

I'm really not trying to start up that conversation, by the way.  I'm fine.  Just felt like I should recognize the exception that is Immanuel instead of implying that no LCMS church would welcome me at their communion table.

I'll stop now ;)

valpotx

I remember some controversies such as these being brought up while I was in school, but I still don't get what the fuss is among Lutherans vs. Valpo.  Being raised a Presbyterian, we actually attended both Presbyterian and Methodist churches without any issues.
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on May 24, 2012, 04:48:20 PM
I remember some controversies such as these being brought up while I was in school, but I still don't get what the fuss is among Lutherans vs. Valpo.  Being raised a Presbyterian, we actually attended both Presbyterian and Methodist churches without any issues.
As I said, God bless you ;)  My mom became Methodist in her retirement.  It can get *that* bad.

If you come to a basketball game next year and see a bearded guy wearing a Mid-Majority T-shirt with #24 and StlVUFan on the back, look me up and I'll be happy to flood you with so much inside info into just what the fuss was all about you'll be sorry you asked ;)

Or you can remain relatively unaware and be better off for it.  Probably ;)

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on May 24, 2012, 12:37:58 PMI was very happy when Lawrence Rast was named the new president of CTSFW.  Larry is conservative but also extremely down to earth.

Sounds like a decent guy.  Do you know if he's any relation to Valpo's Walt Rast?  His wife, incidentally, got an honorary doctorate at VU this year (along with one other principal in the Hilltop projects and related efforts, and our theoretical particle physicist, Carl Richard Hagen).

On the issue of Ft. Wayne perceptions of VU, generally.  Fascinating to hear a bit about the faculty!  Some of my impressions of the seminary are from a casual friend who spent some time as a student there in the late 90's.  I don't recall that he said anything about the student body's perceptions of VU.  But, he did make the students sound extremely conservative.  The sort who might well not think highly of VU.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 11, 2012, 09:39:45 AM
Quote from: agibson on May 10, 2012, 05:25:09 PM

I don't remember his name, only his gender ;)  This would have been in early 2000.

My wife has a couple of suggestions, it turns out.  Rick Bliese?  James Moore?