• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

JD24

I like the avoidance of the likely temptation to bring in transfers with a limited period of eligibility.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusader05 on April 07, 2019, 04:39:05 PM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1115004974021398534

and we've got another

Either Lottich knew what was coming (Transfer Palooza) or he's scrapping the bottom of the barrel.  Hmm...

chairback

we are competing against incarnate word for recruits......we are screwed.

5-11 slow PG who on the video will be eaten alive by MVC guards.  We are grabbing whatever we can at this point.

tiny707

As long as the PG can shoot 3's we will be fine. He also got an offer from Montana State.

crusader05

Also I think over seas recruitment is a bit different so i'm less likely to judge who recruits them.

wh

valpolaw

Not sure whether to be excited about the new recruits or worried that no other schools really appear to have been recruiting them.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: JD24 on April 07, 2019, 02:16:15 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 07, 2019, 01:51:39 PMYes yearn for the days of playing in half empty gyms against apathetic fan bases who didn't travel and against irrelevant teams who got no coverage in their hometowns. Yearn for the days of 5 win programs rolling into the ARC on a consistent basis. Yearn for the days of one and done tournament money. Yearn for the days of getting screwed out of an at large because our conference sucks. If you want a program that is content to beat up on the little sisters of the poor that's fine but that's not what I signed up for and that's not the program I root for. If that's what our administration and leadership wants you can expect me to get very strident with my calls for their ouster both on this board and at events. There will be fire______________signs if necessary. That statement is exactly what the administration and the board wants to hear. It's the same low ambition big fish in a small pond that gets teams nowhere (Don't even try me with the Gonzaga example. That's a program that should have multiple championships by now but they don't because their tomato can conference doesn't prepare them for teams with size and length who can defend and they can't recruit the athletes necessary to beat those teams because coaches use how crappy the WCC is against Gonzaga in recruiting.)
You didn't sign up for anything except, presumably, an education.

This attitude right here: this "my school right or wrong" attitude right here; Is precisely why people like me and many folks I talk to as well as a growing segment of people on this board are growing concerned anxious and losing hope. That's exactly the type of thing you say when you don't care about or are content with how things are going despite rampant underperformance and less than stellar commitment. If you're fine with that God bless you but I'm not. I want better. and I want the people in charge of the school that I gave five years of my life to to want better as well.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpolaw on April 07, 2019, 06:31:05 PMNot sure whether to be excited about the new recruits or worried that no other schools really appear to have been recruiting them.

We asked him to do something. I guess this is something? So I guess this is progress? Part of the process? Or something? I don't know. I just hope this guys are good and can win some games. If not we're in a world of hurt and may not recover from this for a long time. Go Valpo! But count me as concerned...

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on April 05, 2019, 01:49:16 PM
This situation has reached a point, if not beyond, where something dramatic needs to be done in order to offer hope to the fans. Lottich doesn't have time to rebuild with a freshman class or transfers that have to sit out, and he must know he has to roll the dice. He might have to try to fill the five transfer openings with an all-star fab five of grad transfers or juco players to add immediately.... Also, from a public relations standpoint, it would be better if the new players were announced sooner rather than later in order to turn around the current negative direction of momentum.

As I mentioned in the previous message, something "dramatic" needed to be done and Lottich had to "roll the dice." However, I thought he'd be looking for a quick fix from a fab-five of grad transfers or juco players (and he might with the few slots still open). Nevertheless, the strategy thus far seems to be to find a few international diamonds in the rough, players not heavily sought and pleased to be selected by Valpo, who will work hard as a unit and not be selfish.

I'm guessing that the thinking of the coaching staff must be these players have traveled widely and played against international competition, so they will be more mature and seasoned than most high school recruits. Additionally, I imagine Lottich believes these international players have a lot of untapped potential that will materialize when they get here with the coaches and in the weight room.

I hope it happens quickly. If so, this could be the beginning of a strong nucleus for the future four years. If not, he may not get four years. I like that he appears to be gambling with a determined strategy , and I look forward to seeing if the gamble pays off.

VUGrad1314

Say what you will of Lottich Even if nobody else believes in his abilities he sure believes in himself. I don't know if I would have had the heart or the stomach for a gamble like this.

NativeCheesehead

I guess I respect the gamble. We're either two years from the top of the MVC or two years from a new coach (and AD).

crusader05

I mean we've tried the 3/4 star disaffected transfer route and that didn't get us anywhere. At least one of these guys if not two sound like they'd had contact with even during the season so they are not necessarily coming out of nowhere and with the other two spots I'd expect(hope) to see a grad transfer or two.

RS

Have been checking out Ben Krikke on internet. Shoots the 3. Not a bad handle for a big guy and willing to drive the basket. Did have an offer from South Alabama. Reminds me of David Skara in many ways but with a larger frame. Lets give these new guys a break

govalpogo

I think Ryan Broekhoff and Kevin Van Wijk  might have a thing or two to say about under recruited international players.  ::)  Time will tell.  Definitely seems like Lottich is focusing on building a culture.

wh

Quote from: RS on April 07, 2019, 07:50:45 PM
Have been checking out Ben Krikke on internet. Shoots the 3. Not a bad handle for a big guy and willing to drive the basket. Did have an offer from South Alabama. Reminds me of David Skara in many ways but with a larger frame. Lets give these new guys a break

Well said. Three young men are absolutely  thrilled to have received an offer from Valparaiso University and can't wait to begin their new journey. They sound like hard workers with great attitudes about wanting to get better, helping the team improve, etc. It isn't fair to prejudge them just because we're in a collective foul mood over something they had no connection to. We should be welcoming them with open arms and wishing them our very best.

valpotx

Quote from: govalpogo on April 07, 2019, 07:58:29 PM
I think Ryan Broekhoff and Kevin Van Wijk  might have a thing or two to say about under recruited international players.  ::)  Time will tell.  Definitely seems like Lottich is focusing on building a culture.

This times 1,000!  Rowdy mentioned to us after the game on Friday, that no one recruited him, and he had really only 1 other D1 option.  He hadn't heard of Valpo when Chris Sparks recruited him, but that sure paid off for us!  It was cool that Chris was also in town to watch him play, so that connection stayed true.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bigmosmithfan1

Anyone still trying to spin this as "look at all these selfish players" completely has their head in the sand. An exodus of this size is ENTIRELY on the coaching staff's incompetence and they need to be replaced. Name one, just one, successful program that has had this level of turnover and continued to be successful. You can't. Because there isn't one. (And no, smart guy, one-and-dones at an elite P5 program don't count. Those players are leaving for a *giant paycheck,* not because of dissatisfaction with their college coach/program).

There is one answer staring everyone in the face here, and no one wants to own up to it. You have several guys, all at different phases of development, all from different backgrounds, all determining at once that their futures are best served somewhere, anywhere, that they aren't being coached by Matt Lottich. Any AD who lets this debacle continue on their watch is as complicit as the head coach.

wh

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on April 07, 2019, 09:49:10 PM
Anyone still trying to spin this as "look at all these selfish players" completely has their head in the sand. An exodus of this size is ENTIRELY on the coaching staff's incompetence and they need to be replaced. Name one, just one, successful program that has had this level of turnover and continued to be successful. You can't. Because there isn't one. (And no, smart guy, one-and-dones at an elite P5 program don't count. Those players are leaving for a *giant paycheck,* not because of dissatisfaction with their college coach/program).

There is one answer staring everyone in the face here, and no one wants to own up to it. You have several guys, all at different phases of development, all from different backgrounds, all determining at once that their futures are best served somewhere, anywhere, that they aren't being coached by Matt Lottich. Any AD who lets this debacle continue on their watch is as complicit as the head coach.

Hopefully, one thing we can all agree on, yourself included, is that you are proven wrong.

JD24

Herman...is that you?

VUGrad1314

I hope you are vindicated and we are able to look back at this era and my postings (rantings? ravings?) with laughter at their utterly stupid and reactionary character because the alternative isn't funny for anyone, it's just sadness and misery for years...

Valpo06

Schools with 4 or more outbound transfers in 2018 that appeared in the NCAA or NIT tournaments this year (data per Verbal Commits):
Sam Houston State - 6 transfers - NIT
Iona - 5 transfers - NCAA
LSU - 5 transfers - NCAA
New Mexico State - 5 transfers - NCAA
Buffalo - 4 transfers - NCAA
Campbell - 4 transfers - NIT
Dayton - 4 transfers - NIT
Montana - 4 transfers - NCAA
Murray State - 4 transfers - NCAA
NC State - 4 transfers - NIT
North Carolina Central - 4 transfers -  NCAA
Northern Kentucky - 4 transfers - NCAA
Texas Tech - 4 transfers - NCAA championship game
Washington - 4 transfers - NCAA
Wichita State - 4 transfers - NIT

Just Sayin

Quote from: Valpo06 on April 07, 2019, 11:53:05 PM
Schools with 4 or more outbound transfers in 2018 that appeared in the NCAA or NIT tournaments this year (data per Verbal Commits):
LSU - 5 transfers - NCAA

Did any one of those schools have nearly every one of their starting five leave? Or did they leave for the typical reasons of not playing and sitting on the bench?

NativeCheesehead

Yeah I think the transfer situation is a case by case thing. Parker Hazen leaving is a lot different from Javon Freeman leaving.

Just Sayin

Quote from: Valpo06 on April 07, 2019, 11:53:05 PM
LSU - 5 transfers - NCAA

Who are these four transfers from Texas Tech?
A recent list doesn't show any transfers FROM Texas Tech: https://watchstadium.com/news/comprehensive-list-of-college-basketball-players-transferring-12-29-2018/

TT transfer IN were Owens and Mooney THIS SEASON.

EDIT: My bad. You made it clear these were 2018 transfers.