• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

valpo84

Thanks 05, fixed it.  Probably should have read all the threads from last night.  Do not understand going to Buffalo.  But I'll get to see him play in the MAC.  Really nice kid and family.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

SanityLost17

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2019, 08:50:36 AM
Wow!  You have to wonder what a guy like Zion Morgan is thinking this morning.  The guard rotation just got a lot more crowded.  We are now DEEP, VERY DEEP!! :o

Zion was kinda billed as the Javon replacement, but seems like he could just as easily be billed as the Lavender replacement.

This is why we are going to play a 4 guard lineup and shift Krikke, McMillan, Kiser, FV, and occasionally Fazekas all to the "center" position and play it by committee.   Plenty of room for Javon/Gordon/Robinson/Morgan/Clay/Fazekas if we go to a 4 guard lineup.  Throw fresh guys out there to play aggressive and double team the post. 

1.  A few injuries won't kill us this year like it killed us last year
2.  Plenty of fouls to give at the "center" position against poor FT shooting big men
3. We should press or half court trap this year for 40 minutes.  Sub early and often and run and gun on offense off turnovers.
4. Yes, by playing undersized guys at the 5 we will give up some points, but I think the added offense and the fact that our guards are good defenders will more than make up for teams big men scoring more post points.   We will just have to be quick on double teams and rotations out of double teams.   

EddieCabot

Wow!  You have to wonder what a guy like Zion Morgan is thinking this morning.  The guard rotation just got a lot more crowded.  We are now DEEP, VERY DEEP!! :o

One benefit will be that Javon won't need to play 35+ minutes like he was at the end of last season.  He may even be splitting time with Clay, who was first team all state in Illinois, is 4 inches taller than Javon and is a much better shooter.

bbtds

You never know. Zion was the last addition and may have been the last mental straw that broke the camel's back to change Javon's mind to come back to Valpo.

bigmosmithfan1

This offseason flipped in a hurry. Javon was always the one whose (previously announced but no longer valid) departure was the one that really was a kick to the gut and read like a bad verdict on the direction of the program. The grad transfer market is what it is, and the Sam Haanpa situation has always left me expecting our Euro guys to head home for a pro contract at the first opportunity, but one of our most talented freshmen in years choosing to bail on top of that? That was gonna be hard to recover from.

Now, ML still has to go out and win, which he has not proven he can do yet with his own roster. But I'm way more optimistic about that possibility than I was just 24 hours ago.

tiny707

I strongly recommend everyone checking out Sylvester Ogbonda a 6-10 C grad transfer from Georgia Tech. He is from Nigeria, Strong Christian, from Nigeria, and Valedictorian of his high school class. Looks very athletic.

bbtds

Quote from: tiny707 on May 03, 2019, 01:33:05 PM
I strongly recommend everyone checking out Sylvester Ogbonda a 6-10 C grad transfer from Georgia Tech. He is from Nigeria, Strong Christian, from Nigeria, and Valedictorian of his high school class. Looks very athletic.

Every champion was once a contender that refused to finish up at Georgia Tech.

Adrian!!!!!!

--Sly Ogbone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tad3NI68dKA

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 03, 2019, 09:56:36 AMZion was kinda billed as the Javon replacement, but seems like he could just as easily be billed as the Lavender replacement.
I'm still sorting out our guard surplus and the more I look at Morgan the better I'm liking what he brings. He will sponge minutes from our 6 other guys in the mix for floor time at the 1, 2 and 3. Predicting playing time will be difficult but Sakey will likely see a reduced but better targeted role while Lottich might limit Freeman to 33 minutes because that should be all we need.  :thumbsup: As a group the bunch should offer equal rebounding, better experience, defense, shooting and abilities to attack the rim. They still could be only average from 3 but going from near bottom to middle of pack is a significant step forward.
Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 03, 2019, 09:56:36 AM3. We should press or half court trap this year for 40 minutes.  Sub early and often and run and gun on offense off turnovers.

If all these new guards are as good as their indications and they stay injury free--- then maybe this wouldn't be a bad idea.

JD24

I think next year we're looking at a lot of 4 guard lineups and what should be or maybe better said, could be, a very good defensive team. I might even consider going Nolan Richardson or Huggy Bear on teams. Of course that's more of an attitude than simple strategy.

Lottich may have to figure out how to get Siggy in the lineup if his shot is as good as advertised.

VULB#62

Quote from: justducky on May 03, 2019, 05:36:45 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on May 03, 2019, 09:56:36 AM3. We should press or half court trap this year for 40 minutes.  Sub early and often and run and gun on offense off turnovers.

If all these new guards are as good as their indications and they stay injury free--- then maybe this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Didn't Shaka Smart change things with "40 minutes of chaos" at VCU (or was it ODU?)?  It was in VA anyway. Could we do the same?  I'd love to see that.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 03, 2019, 09:59:32 PM
Quote from: justducky on May 03, 2019, 05:36:45 PM

Didn't Shaka Smart change things with "40 minutes of chaos" at VCU (or was it ODU?)?  It was in VA anyway. Could we do the same?  I'd love to see that.

Well, Virginia is a commonwealth and it is the "Old Dominion" state but VCU was where S(c)haka "Khan" (Out)Smart was coach.

VU75

Jordan Ash to Wright State.

vu72

Now up to 813 transfers in D1.  I didn't think it would make it to 800 but a bunch have  decided recently.  Not since 2014 have there been lees than 800.  If we get Sorolla back we will be at 3,

Which is very average in today's world.  :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vufan75

I don't see Sorolla returning if he indeed is graduating. I would think the D1 college market for grad transfer bigs is strong. Either he tries it elsewhere for a year or heads back to a pro career in Europe is my guess.

Hoping we find a defensive oriented PF/C 6-8 to 6-10 who is a strong rebounder and can get his scoring done inside around the basket. We have enough perimeter guys and need a bigger body with experience. Either a juco or grad transfer works to give our 6-10 freshman recruit time to adjust and learn the college game. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

humbleopinion

Southern Illinois is now up to five transfers.  With five seniors and a grad student on their 2018-19 roster, it will be a totally rebuilt team for next year.
Beamin' Beacons

valpo64

I wonder what some of our Negative, 'get rid of whomever" posters would say if they were SIU fans.  That situation would be hard to take, and their coach is already gone.

oklahomamick

I'm one of "get rid of the coach not whomever" and I can't speak for the others but I would say the SIU program held on to a lame coach for too many years and therefore will feel the negative consequences for several years.  It will be difficult for SIU to get back where they used to be.  Not to mention the difficulties the university is having.  SIU hoops program will be at the bottom for a long time. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Midwest is Best

Wow, reading Oklahomamick's take on SIU could almost be the same said for VU. I hope i am wrong -

NativeCheesehead

Correct. The problem with SIU is that they waited too long to make the move.  And I personally think they will be at the bottom of the conference. For one year. Mullins has as good of a pedigree as you could hope to get to our level, and I would be willing to bet he turns them around very quickly.

oklahomamick

I hope it doesn't come to this....but when I'm correct I will be coming after Valpo64 and a couple others.  You have lost any credibility you may have had when it comes to college hoops and this program. 
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 10, 2019, 02:08:23 PM
I hope it doesn't come to this....but when I'm correct I will be coming after Valpo64 and a couple others.  You have lost any credibility you may have had when it comes to college hoops and this program. 
I imagine that I will be one of those that don't agree with your "sky is falling" scenario.  Maybe you would feel better if you read more of the board from Matt's first year.  Here you go... Lottich's first year
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on May 10, 2019, 06:45:14 PM
I imagine that I will be one of those that don't agree with your "sky is falling" scenario.  Maybe you would feel better if you read more of the board from Matt's first year.  Here you go... Lottich's first year

Just reading through some of the old posts. Where has guys like agibson been the last few months? MIA. Need to get some these great contributors back the board

VULB#62

Mick, regardless of how you mean this, there is no place for this kind of dialog on this board. Please rethink.

VUBBFan

Golder may have found a landing spot closer to his Portland home.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1127033500736065536