• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

mp91

Quote from: wh on May 29, 2019, 06:39:12 AM
Golder - I played hurt, and I didn't get credit for it. They call me selfish, but I'm not. Smits - I think I played pretty well today (in a game we got blown out). The guys did a good job of getting me the ball (so I could eat up the clock making my post move). Bakari - I'm being played out of position (which explains why I can't hit a 3 to save my soul). Playing hurt?  Im the one playing hurt! 

Three yards and a cloud of excuses. I'm so ready to see new faces.

In the world of college basketball where the players are often getting exploited, I personally enjoy hearing from the players directly. They should have a voice. And let's be honest, he makes a pretty good point with his statement. People on here are being a little too harsh. The guy is venting his frustrations, cut him some slack. Players are way too often belittled and told to "just play basketball." And, if players were to not be honest, the same people on here would say "uh just another cliché"... I understand people can disagree with his statement, but there is no need to call him drama queen and throw out over-the-top platitudes.... If you can vent your frustrations, you shouldn't have a problem with him venting his! Keep the same energy!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: mp91 on May 30, 2019, 02:53:45 PM
Quote from: wh on May 29, 2019, 06:39:12 AM
Golder - I played hurt, and I didn't get credit for it. They call me selfish, but I'm not. Smits - I think I played pretty well today (in a game we got blown out). The guys did a good job of getting me the ball (so I could eat up the clock making my post move). Bakari - I'm being played out of position (which explains why I can't hit a 3 to save my soul). Playing hurt?  Im the one playing hurt! 

Three yards and a cloud of excuses. I'm so ready to see new faces.

In the world of college basketball where the players are often getting exploited, I personally enjoy hearing from the players directly. They should have a voice. And let's be honest, he makes a pretty good point with his statement. People on here are being a little too harsh. The guy is venting his frustrations, cut him some slack. Players are way too often belittled and told to "just play basketball." And, if players were to not be honest, the same people on here would say "uh just another cliché"... I understand people can disagree with his statement, but there is no need to call him drama queen and throw out over-the-top platitudes.... If you can vent your frustrations, you shouldn't have a problem with him venting his! Keep the same energy!

Appreciate your contribution, nice to get differing opinions.  My main concern with this is that the minute you receive compensation for any type of work (college scholarships included here, even college aid) you are now accountable to a higher degree.  Social media is pure toxic and allows guys that would otherwise vent to friends to make a fool of themselves to a vast audience.

The minute I pressed send here I left myself open to disagreement and so did he.  Please don't excuse poor decisions such as picking a fight with fans.  He is a professional because he received years of free tuition and board, end of story for me.  I am not allowed to go out and make derogatory remarks on my social media account with impunity, my boss has every right to find me unfit in my role as __________.

Sadly I think some of these young men pretty much grew up with social media of one form or another and therefore think it's perfectly ok to act in this manner.  And to a degree it is, when you are not beholden to a company or university and expecting to go to another university or company for another job.  REPERCUSSIONS MARKUS.  And I also realize this argument is wayyyyy bigger than Markus, because what he said was fairly innocuous.  So let me be clear that I am talking big picture beyond just Markus here.

P.S.  I am 36-years old and technically a millennial, so arguing that I am out of touch won't land from the age perspective.  I have watched my peers do just as stupid posting and just shake my head.  I will admit to being an "old" 36, so that punch will land!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: 4throwfan on May 30, 2019, 01:51:43 PM
Right now Sorrolla is shopping for something better, and VU presumably is too.  If Sorrolla comes back, then that means that he found nothing better, and neither did VU.

My hope on Sorrolla coming back is purely conditioned on VU not finding someone at least 90% as good.  If we get Sorrolla back, and he is only equal to last year, then VU has lost something because it now has a player no better than before, but also openly doesn't want to be here.  If we get someone 85% as good as Sorrolla, I think we have to welcome Sorrolla back if he wants to come.  If we find someone 10% better, but has 2 years left, and has to sit a year, may also need to welcome Sorrolla back.

Ideally, both Sorrolla and VU find something better, and it works out well for both.

We may want him back for more than just that reason.  Wasn't UD (Detroit) put on tournament probation for graduation rate / retention?  It's my understanding that the more players transfer out and do not get a degree it becomes a mark against VU.

cornonthe

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 30, 2019, 04:44:54 PM
Right now Sorrolla is shopping for something better, and VU presumably is too.  If Sorrolla comes back, then that means that he found nothing better, and neither did VU.

My hope on Sorrolla coming back is purely conditioned on VU not finding someone at least 90% as good.  If we get Sorrolla back, and he is only equal to last year, then VU has lost something because it now has a player no better than before, but also openly doesn't want to be here.  If we get someone 85% as good as Sorrolla, I think we have to welcome Sorrolla back if he wants to come.  If we find someone 10% better, but has 2 years left, and has to sit a year, may also need to welcome Sorrolla back.

Ideally, both Sorrolla and VU find something better, and it works out well for both.

We may want him back for more than just that reason.  Wasn't UD (Detroit) put on tournament probation for graduation rate / retention?  It's my understanding that the more players transfer out and do not get a degree it becomes a mark against VU.
I believe all those transfers graduated...🧐🤓

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: cornonthe on May 30, 2019, 07:18:37 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 30, 2019, 04:44:54 PM

I believe all those transfers graduated...🧐🤓

Very good point, I must admit I don't pay attention to their academics or status once they choose to leave.  That's on me

valpopal

Portland State appears to be a big step down for Markus. Sagarin had Portland State ranked 275, while Valpo was 196 last year. The Big Sky conference was rated at #28 compared to the Missouri Valley rating of #13. However, he will be returning home.

vuny98

Quote from: valpopal on May 31, 2019, 10:07:58 AMPortland State appears to be a big step down for Markus. Sagarin had Portland State ranked 275, while Valpo was 196 last year. The Big Sky conference was rated at #28 compared to the Missouri Valley rating of #13. However, he will be returning home.

Close to home and he should get the opportunity to play big minutes and a large role there. Probably a good landing spot for him.

valpotx

Good decision on his part, as he needs to go somewhere where he will play and be a main focus.  He gets that at Portland State.  Isn't that where Paul Guede ended up transferring, as well?
"Don't mess with Texas"

cornonthe

Quote from: valpotx on June 01, 2019, 02:12:47 AM
Good decision on his part, as he needs to go somewhere where he will play and be a main focus.  He gets that at Portland State.  Isn't that where Paul Guede ended up transferring, as well?
Yes, and he had a decent two years there too...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: cornonthe on June 01, 2019, 01:15:14 PM

I remember Paul Guede, but don't recall the sequence of events that led to him moving on...

Can someone fill us in please.

cornonthe

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 01, 2019, 02:30:42 PM
Quote from: cornonthe on June 01, 2019, 01:15:14 PM

I remember Paul Guede, but don't recall the sequence of events that led to him moving on...

Can someone fill us in please.
I remember that it had to do with academics...but I think it was more that he did not like the classes...but this seems longer ago than it really was...

vufan75

Per his Twitter Jay has chosen to join the Cincinnati Bearcats. Leaves Valpo with 1 schollie to fill.

Per Jaume Sorolla (Jay) @jay_sorolla
Ready for the next level...GoBearcats[emoji1377] https://t.co/nNDAmiiDXc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vufan75 on June 02, 2019, 08:26:29 AM
Per his Twitter Jay has chosen to join the Cincinnati Bearcats. Leaves Valpo with 1 schollie to fill.

Think he's out kicked his coverage...heck, even in the MVC he was borderline.  Though I liked his defensive presence.

FieldGoodie05

Though if there was a player from last years team that I think was under utilized, that's Jay.

We were forced to run Smits more because our G couldn't make a bucket.  So Jay was more situational which makes it hard to develop offensively.  I still liked Jay WAY better than Mrs Smits.

bigmosmithfan1

Think he's out kicked his coverage...heck, even in the MVC he was borderline.  Though I liked his defensive presence.

Or... it's much more likely that our coaching staff did not develop or utilize him properly, much like they did with Smits. Both ended up at much higher-profile destinations and conferences, so maybe it's possible the scouting acumen of this board is clouded by its tendency to immediately throw players under the bus as selfish.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 02, 2019, 11:00:49 AM

Or... it's much more likely that our coaching staff did not develop or utilize him properly, much like they did with Smits. Both ended up at much higher-profile destinations and conferences, so maybe it's possible the scouting acumen of this board is clouded by its tendency to immediately throw players under the bus as selfish.

Read my second post please.  A similar concept to yours meaning situations/decisions occurred that may have left him under utilized or under developed.  Take your bus elsewhere sir. 🥴

VU2014

well Valpo's front court could be in some major foul trouble next season.... generally not good if you have to rely on a freshman at the 5 and Mileek isn't best suited there either. Also Kiser's smarts and grit can only help him so far in defending the post.

Valpo needs a big man who can hold his own on defense.

IrishDawg

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 02, 2019, 10:20:07 AM

Though if there was a player from last years team that I think was under utilized, that's Jay.

We were forced to run Smits more because our G couldn't make a bucket.  So Jay was more situational which makes it hard to develop offensively.  I still liked Jay WAY better than Mrs Smits.

Eh, I don't think that argument holds water once Sorolla was healthy enough to be on the floor.  During conference play, Smits played 21 minutes per game, and Sorolla played 18 minutes a game.  Sorolla was a better defender than Smits (Sorolla had the 2nd best defensive efficiency rating, while Smits was tied for 3rd), but Smits was much better offensively than Sorolla (or any option outside of Fazekas) that Valpo had, which is why his usage was so high, which is probably why you think Sorolla (who was used very little offensively, but at a similar level to previous seasons) was only used in situations even though they played similar minutes.

Sorolla's offense was likely impacted all year by his injury issues considering how much worse he was this year than previous years, but a big part of his offensive decline also was that because Valpo's guards couldn't hit perimeter shots, teams were more likely to double the post, which caused Sorolla's turnovers to spike and his free throw rate to drop as well.  His shooting percentages were similar to previous seasons, as were his rebounding numbers.

My guess is that some of you will think I'm only saying this because Smits is at Butler, but it's really not.  Now that Sorolla is officially off to Cincy, I think it might make Valpo a much more fun team to watch without a lumbering 7 footer out there, you may see a more free-flowing offense since they don't really have a true low post threat.

VU2014

Do I detect a hint of bitterness or enjoyment from Bakari from the fact that Jay isn't coming back to Valpo...?  ??? What could this be all about...?

crusader05

I think he's just referring to himself as the last one that hasn't announced where he's going to next.

VU2014

So I wonder where we go from here. I think we could use an experienced guy with some size, but it has to be the right fit. 1 scholarship remains.

humbleopinion

I am hoping that Matt has someone in mind, and he was just waiting for Jay to make up his mind before sealing the deal.
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

I wish him luck, but believe that he could have picked a better school for his level.  He struggled in the MVC, so he will be a 5-10 mpg guy in the AAC, mainly used for defensive situations.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 02, 2019, 11:00:49 AM
QuoteThink he's out kicked his coverage...heck, even in the MVC he was borderline.  Though I liked his defensive presence.
or maybe size is more in demand than the acumen of one poster would like to recognize.