• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Valpo89

Quote from: VUBBFan on June 07, 2019, 11:47:30 AM

Quote from: IndyValpo on June 07, 2019, 10:38:49 AM
Quote from: tiny707 on June 07, 2019, 09:12:51 AMLooks like there are six centers left that could play immediately: 1.) Moustaphan Diadne, Western Kentucky University, 6-9 2.) Kelvin Jones, Idaho State, 6-11 3.) Colin McManus, Penn, 6-10 4.) Demola Onifade, Delaware State, 6-9 5.) Patrick Szpir, Chicago State, 6-9 6.) Jethro Shusuwpa Mbiya, Mississippi State, 6-10
Add Dusan Kovacevic 6-10 Davidson Jalen Williams 6-8 245 Furman Jones is easily the best however there must be a story keeping him unsigned because lots of less talented bigs have signed. His next stop will be his third.
Here's an article that has some info on his first transfer and his Father's role in it. This may be a factor in the transfer decision.
https://www.theprospectordaily.com/2017/10/21/kelvin-jones-departs-from-utep-basketball-program/

That is quite a story about leaving UTEP. I wouldn't want to deal with his family. Sounds like a player who was in the women's program, once upon a time.

VU2014

Yeah it's a bit of a red flag, but as long as the kid is a good teammate and accepts his role, I could care less about his dad. There is less risk with him being a 1 yr grad-transfer. The coaches would need to really know the kid's character and makeup before offering with the family baggage. But who knows if they're even looking at this guy.

valpotx

Which player on the women's team?  Just curious.
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Anybody heard where Micah might be heading?  I haven't seed anything about him taking any visits.

usc4valpo

Another helicopter parent from hell, just like Lori Laughlin.

VUGrad1314

I for one am glad Micah is gone. One of our biggest recruiting disappointments since Jay Harris.  We were told we were getting a guy that could shoot and create and with the exception of a brief stretch during our first MVC season where he showed some promise as a distributor we saw neither.

Valpo89

Quote from: valpotx on June 08, 2019, 01:16:47 PM
Which player on the women's team?  Just curious.
Stefanie Lang.
I couldn't remember her name yesterday. Had to look it up.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 09, 2019, 03:21:02 PM
I for one am glad Micah is gone. One of our biggest recruiting disappointments since Jay Harris.  We were told we were getting a guy that could shoot and create and with the exception of a brief stretch during our first MVC season where he showed some promise as a distributor we saw neither.

I hope that makes you feel better.
Quote from: EddieCabot on June 09, 2019, 01:49:50 PMAnybody heard where Micah might be heading?  I haven't seed anything about him taking any visits.

I'm assuming any coach with interest would need to see some kind of complete workout along with passing a team physical. That might be a little tricky if still dealing with any lingering back issues. The longer this silence lasts the less optimistic I am about his basketball future.

GoldenCrusader87

Bakari to Iowa. Golder to Portland State. Sarolla to Cindy. Smitts to Butler. Sure seems like these "selfish" no-good-for-nothing players are hitting the upgrade button, if you ask me. Will be interesting to see how this season ends up. Nobody to blame at this point if most our players left and we're still a bottom feeder in the league. Will we get to 500? Is that an accomplishment? Idk ...

bigmosmithfan1

Good point, 87, three of our so-called "selfish" transfers ended up at high-major schools (two of which were in the tourney last year) and a fourth ended up at a D1 midmajor school in his hometown, playing a brand-new arena. Clearly other coaching staffs saw their value.

Like you said, no more excuses left for Lottich. If he doesn't start winning with the roster he crafted immediately, it'll be clear that the problem didn't lie with the players who departed.

M

I wouldn't get too worked up about where these guys landed until we see what kind of role they play and what kind of numbers they produce, as well as how their replacements play for Valpo.

VUGrad1314

If Evelyn and Sorolla have anything more than bit roles on their new teams I will be absolutely shocked.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 09, 2019, 09:20:54 PM
Good point, 87, three of our so-called "selfish" transfers ended up at high-major schools (two of which were in the tourney last year) and a fourth ended up at a D1 midmajor school in his hometown, playing a brand-new arena. Clearly other coaching staffs saw their value.

Like you said, no more excuses left for Lottich. If he doesn't start winning with the roster he crafted immediately, it'll be clear that the problem didn't lie with the players who departed.

I'd say immediately is pretty vague, please elaborate on this idea.

usc4valpo

I would say a sub 500 season and one that showed  little or no progress should result in a replacement. four years is enough time to give a coach a opportunity to be successful.

VU2014

Markus' mom says that the injuries at Valpo we're not managed properly. That is a very serious accusation but one that many of injured players seem to think was the case. Valpo needs to reevaluate their strength/conditioning/training staff if it's the case or at the very least do a self audit. Maybe it was just bad luck but it's something the athletics department needs to look into.

https://twitter.com/jlg5297/status/1137958959535366145?s=21

vu72

Quote from: M on June 09, 2019, 09:44:08 PM
I wouldn't get too worked up about where these guys landed until we see what kind of role they play and what kind of numbers they produce, as well as how their replacements play for Valpo.

That's correct.  Remember, Chris Halvorsen left us to go play for Minnesota!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on June 09, 2019, 08:15:18 PMBakari to Iowa. Golder to Portland State. Sarolla to Cindy. Smitts to Butler. Sure seems like these "selfish" no-good-for-nothing players are hitting the upgrade button, if you ask me. Will be interesting to see how this season ends up. Nobody to blame at this point if most our players left and we're still a bottom feeder in the league. Will we get to 500? Is that an accomplishment? Idk ...

I stand by my post in another thread as to why some of these guys are going to bigger programs (Smits is the only I think that had really 'earned' that bump up):
"So the only explanation I have here is that a guy that has experience and only takes a scholarship up for 1 year is a nice thing to have on a team that has a space open. You need to fill that space with a warm body, so might as well take someone that you can throw in the game if needed. Bakari had a good year the season before last, last year was rough on several levels, but he has likely shown enough to know he can hold his own on the court. Just like we took Lavendar for a year (and he played a bigger role than we would have expected/hoped he would). Bakari, Markus, Sorolla. They are all looking at bigger schools and will likely land with one, not because they have dominated the lower competition, but because they are serviceable and a known quantity and at only a 1 year scholarship, low "cost"/risk."

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on June 09, 2019, 08:15:18 PM
Bakari to Iowa. Golder to Portland State. Sarolla to Cindy. Smitts to Butler. Sure seems like these "selfish" no-good-for-nothing players are hitting the upgrade button, if you ask me. Will be interesting to see how this season ends up. Nobody to blame at this point if most our players left and we're still a bottom feeder in the league. Will we get to 500? Is that an accomplishment? Idk ...

Can you at least wait till the season begins before getting all negative and being Debbie Downer about this program? Let's see what we actual have first, huh?

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on June 10, 2019, 10:26:04 AMCan you at least wait till the season begins before getting all negative and being Debbie Downer about this program?

No! I have gone from expecting a MVC championship contender to being resigned to another season of mediocrity. That is a big change and nobody really shouldered much responsibility. It will be very difficult for me to get excited until I can witness some early season signs of life.

Any rumors about a summer trip?

VUGrad1314

I thought you were a Belmont fan now.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 10, 2019, 12:06:06 PM
I thought you were a Belmont fan now.

I am a diehard fan of quality mid-major basketball. It is a real shame that no such programs exist in northwest Indiana.     :'(  :'(

usc4valpo

root for Gonzaga?

VUBBFan

We can cross out Kelvin Jones as a possible transfer candidate. He has transferred to Creighton.

The pool continues to get smaller

VUGrad1314

Just win. That's all we want. Start winning again.