• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Can we assume that since no recent news has come forward that our roster is set for the up-coming season?  If so , how many scholarships did we leave unfilled?

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpo64 on July 11, 2019, 08:36:19 PMCan we assume that since no recent news has come forward that our roster is set for the up-coming season?  If so , how many scholarships did we leave unfilled?

We have one unfilled scholarship for 2019-2020. There is still time to fill it, though time is dwindling down.

Last year we filled our last two spots on July 9th (Robinson) and July 18th (Lavender). So we may still see some action. 

NotBryceDrew

Vanderbilt: if it was ever under contract to play at the arc it has to be assumed that game is bought out. Now since we had leverage it definitely cost them 1.5-2x a standard buy game.

George Washington: I know we already have a date set for the GW game but there is no reason they would play this game. New coach (who didn't schedule this), young roster, coming off bad seasons, etc. Since it has to be looked at as a loss for them and since GW is a very wealthy school they have to have tried or are trying to buy this game out.

If the above cases pan out. What do they try to replace with A10, MW, WCC? Or more Horizon, Summit, MAC

IrishDawg

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on July 12, 2019, 02:07:24 PM
Vanderbilt: if it was ever under contract to play at the arc it has to be assumed that game is bought out. Now since we had leverage it definitely cost them 1.5-2x a standard buy game.

George Washington: I know we already have a date set for the GW game but there is no reason they would play this game. New coach (who didn't schedule this), young roster, coming off bad seasons, etc. Since it has to be looked at as a loss for them and since GW is a very wealthy school they have to have tried or are trying to buy this game out.

If the above cases pan out. What do they try to replace with A10, MW, WCC? Or more Horizon, Summit, MAC

Vandy I could see, but since no game has been played, I'm not sure what the buyout rules are in that situation, but they'd be in the contract.

GW I can't see buying this game out. They might be a rich school, but they only outspent Valpo by about $500k in basketball for the most recent year available (2018 season).  Oddly enough, Valpo's team posted a $134,412 loss for that season.

vu72

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on July 12, 2019, 02:07:24 PM

Possibly, but, Mark LaBarbera is a very careful guy.  He is on record as saying that an SEC team is coming to the ARC this season.  I very much doubt he would have said that if there was  any possibility of the game with this team (has to be Vandy) not being played. We'll see...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

1st video at the very end....Was that Micah?   :-X
CRUSADERS!!!

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteGeorge Washington: I know we already have a date set for the GW game but there is no reason they would play this game. New coach (who didn't schedule this), young roster, coming off bad seasons, etc. Since it has to be looked at as a loss for them and since GW is a very wealthy school they have to have tried or are trying to buy this game out.

Um, that's not how scheduling works, at all. The game date is announced for the upcoming season, which means it's basically final. Valpo wouldn't announce and promote a game that was any way in flux (and if it was, someone from GW certainly would have disputed Valpo's announcement). Your assumption that they are trying to buy the game out is pretty funny -- they would have done so months ago if that's what they were planning. "Rich school" also doesn't translate to "rich athletic department." GW definitely isn't in the position to throw tens of thousands of dollars away to not play a basketball game (on TOP of the normal buyout fee, since we're within months of the game now) -- they aren't a Power 5.

While something might leak out sooner, I wouldn't take the lack of news on Vandy as anything just yet. SEC basketball schedules are usually released in mid-to-late August and the contract might very well state Valpo can't announce prior to that date. As I've stated here before, Vandy probably has *less* motivation to avoid a trip to Valpo with Bryce gone and us coming off of a bad season than they did with Bryce at the helm. Again, MLB doesn't usually reveal scheduling info publicly ahead of time so I also find it hard to believe he'd tell people about an SEC opponent at the ARC if said opponent wasn't locked down, whether it's Vandy or someone else.

cornonthe

Quote from: oklahomamick on July 15, 2019, 06:24:49 PM
1st video at the very end....Was that Micah?   :-X
At the very end, the one speaking says the name, Donovan, and we may infer from that, that it is Donovan Clay...

crusader05

Donovan is the one who does the second dunk. I believe the one we see shooting the three at the end is Zion Morgan

IrishDawg

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on July 15, 2019, 06:45:00 PM
QuoteGeorge Washington: I know we already have a date set for the GW game but there is no reason they would play this game. New coach (who didn't schedule this), young roster, coming off bad seasons, etc. Since it has to be looked at as a loss for them and since GW is a very wealthy school they have to have tried or are trying to buy this game out.

Um, that's not how scheduling works, at all. The game date is announced for the upcoming season, which means it's basically final. Valpo wouldn't announce and promote a game that was any way in flux (and if it was, someone from GW certainly would have disputed Valpo's announcement). Your assumption that they are trying to buy the game out is pretty funny -- they would have done so months ago if that's what they were planning. "Rich school" also doesn't translate to "rich athletic department." GW definitely isn't in the position to throw tens of thousands of dollars away to not play a basketball game (on TOP of the normal buyout fee, since we're within months of the game now) -- they aren't a Power 5.

While something might leak out sooner, I wouldn't take the lack of news on Vandy as anything just yet. SEC basketball schedules are usually released in mid-to-late August and the contract might very well state Valpo can't announce prior to that date. As I've stated here before, Vandy probably has *less* motivation to avoid a trip to Valpo with Bryce gone and us coming off of a bad season than they did with Bryce at the helm. Again, MLB doesn't usually reveal scheduling info publicly ahead of time so I also find it hard to believe he'd tell people about an SEC opponent at the ARC if said opponent wasn't locked down, whether it's Vandy or someone else.

Not sure if it will be Vandy, as they already have home and homes set up with both Richmond (away in 19-20) and Davidson (home in 19-20) over the next couple of seasons, but agree with the sentiment that the AD would look pretty foolish to announce a game with an SEC team and then not have one on the schedule.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusader05 on July 15, 2019, 07:09:14 PM
Donovan is the one who does the second dunk. I believe the one we see shooting the three at the end is Zion Morgan

I'm not sure, Zion appears right handed in his highlights and that guy looks south paw.  I checked and Langston Stallings is also right handed.  Unsure who 3rd guy is...

NativeCheesehead

You can tell we're aching for the season to start when we're breaking down social media video like it's The Zapruder Film.

cornonthe

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on July 15, 2019, 08:45:06 PM
You can tell we're aching for the season to start when we're breaking down social media video like it's The Zapruder Film.
ROFL!!!

VUBBFan

Okay, here is the breakdown on the two clips I posted:

In the first one the guys dunking are Mileek then Donovan Clay. The 3point shooter is Warren Sails, a to be junior next year from Valpo high school.

In the second clip the first player I think is Zion,( not 100% positive ) then Sails followed by Mileek and ending with Clay. Hopefully everyone can rest easy now. ;)

Now here's one last clip which I think will be self explanatory.

https://twitter.com/dreadedupG/status/1150971408278835216

FWalum

I hate to nitpick on the good work people do when putting up these video snippets so that all of us can get our VU basketball fix in these slow times, but please... PLEASE... PLEASE take the video holding your phone in the proper 16:9 aspect ratio so that we can actually see the action rather than watching half of the ceiling.

Yours truly, 
FWAlum alias "The video police"  :police:
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: FWalum on July 16, 2019, 05:20:15 PM
I hate to nitpick on the good work people do when putting up these video snippets so that all of us can get our VU basketball fix in these slow times, but please... PLEASE... PLEASE take the video holding your phone in the proper 16:9 aspect ratio so that we can actually see the action rather than watching half of the ceiling.

Yours truly, 
FWAlum alias "The video police"  :police:

Agreed, but I still enjoy these videos.  Shows how hard these guys are working on their games in the off-season.  Does anyone know when they start practices for the upcoming overseas trip?

VULB#62

International, definitely yes. Overseas?  Ah, no, unless you count flying over the Great Lakes.  ;D

govalpogo

More "tape" to pour over!  Perhaps a Krikke/Mr. Freese sighting?  Looks like they are really emphasizing the chemistry piece this year.

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1151997735500828673

NativeCheesehead

Way to put this on video, guys. Now you'll only be able to run it in a game once or twice before teams catch on.

oklahomamick

home run ball still working after 10 years.  Though, don't see it as much in the mvc.  I guess these coaches have tape....
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

If this is being whispered after just five years....

https://mwwire.com/2019/07/25/is-contraction-the-answer-to-mountain-west-survival/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

It may not be long before folks in the MVC start talking this way about us... We had better get our act together and quickly...

NativeCheesehead

Easy man, it's been two years.  Loyola sucked for twice that before breaking through.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 27, 2019, 02:04:33 AM
If this is being whispered after just five years....

https://mwwire.com/2019/07/25/is-contraction-the-answer-to-mountain-west-survival/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

It may not be long before folks in the MVC start talking this way about us... We had better get our act together and quickly...
Wow, this is glass completely empty type reaction.  We are a long ways away from anything like this being relevant IMO.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUBBFan

Giving back to the community. Sometimes there's more to life than Basketball.

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1156355043995656192