• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wednesday, 2/7 7pm @Evansville ESPN3

Started by Billy Co, February 05, 2018, 04:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

M

They shot 15 times more then ya inside the arc. That's a lot of extra opportunities to get fouled. I'm guessing they also had fewer turnovers, so there go a few more opportunities.

I wish Walker would use screens the way Taylor does (or that we'd set him screens the way they do for Taylor).

EddieCabot

Quote from: bbtds on February 07, 2018, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 07, 2018, 08:57:44 PM
This team makes too many mistakes and turns the ball over WAY too much to complain about the refs.

I think a 7 foul difference in the first half and a 4 foul difference in the second half, 22-11, is something to complain about in a close game no matter how many turnovers you have. Granted the foul difference in the second half was due to fouling at the end of the game to stop the clock.

I agree.  The primary job of the officials is to make sure each team has the same number of fouls. #fairness

FWalum

Quote from: nkvu on February 07, 2018, 08:59:01 PMBut deserved or not it's hard to overcome a 23 to 5 free throw disparity. Either we have to figure out how to cut down on the fouls we commit or we have to sell the plays that could be fouls on the other team better so we can get some calls.
Did anyone else notice how many times Taylor fell to the floor after taking a shot? Many had minimal or no contact but boy did it look good.....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 07, 2018, 10:08:29 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 07, 2018, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 07, 2018, 08:57:44 PM
This team makes too many mistakes and turns the ball over WAY too much to complain about the refs.

I think a 7 foul difference in the first half and a 4 foul difference in the second half, 22-11, is something to complain about in a close game no matter how many turnovers you have. Granted the foul difference in the second half was due to fouling at the end of the game to stop the clock.

I agree.  The primary job of the officials is to make sure each team has the same number of fouls. #fairness

Absolutely! Each game should have the same number of fouls for each team. The real challenge would be to see if you can be the team that doesn't get the odd numbered foul called against them.

Just Sayin

This team is making marginal progress which is better than what we've seen in the past where they get worse after each game. That's positive.
The problem that I see is that in crunch time, they fall back on "me" ball and forget that they are a team. Everybody wants to be the hero and make the winning shot but the good players look first to the open man or the back-door cutter or have the patience to wait for a better shot.
And as I watch Walker, I for the life of me can't understand why last year he was considering entering the NBA draft. If he truly were NBA worthy, he would be one of the best players in the Valley, which he clearly is not. How can one be so deluded about their own abilities? Who whispered in his ear that he was even close to being an NBA player? NBA players don't play basketball like Walker. He should step up if he's really that good.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on February 07, 2018, 11:31:52 PM
Quote from: nkvu on February 07, 2018, 08:59:01 PMBut deserved or not it's hard to overcome a 23 to 5 free throw disparity. Either we have to figure out how to cut down on the fouls we commit or we have to sell the plays that could be fouls on the other team better so we can get some calls.
Did anyone else notice how many times Taylor fell to the floor after taking a shot? Many had minimal or no contact but boy did it look good.....

Reminded me of Brandon Wood.

SanityLost17

I am yet to decide if I am angry about our ongoing foul disparity in league play.   Somebody will have to convince me that the disparity is not caused by a bad 3 point shooting team shooting way too many outside shots.   

I am fully convinced the refs had a major impact on the Southern Illinois game.   Our 7 footers were called for multiple phantom calls the very moment we were on the cusp of achieving separation, which is hard to come by in this league.  Refs kept SIU in the game when they were cold from the floor by getting.  Smits/Sorrolla were playing great defense and had to play softer the rest of the way to stay out of foul trouble and SIU went to the foul line when they couldn't get anything going offensively.  Changed the whole game.   

Last night seemed more like Evansville was attacking the basket while we were chucking 3's.   Now, that doesn't mean they deserved all the foul calls they got.  However, that is where an experienced coach tells his guys to attack the basket cuz the refs have a quick whistle.   

valpo84

Concur with the comment from Coach Matt and Justsayin, we panic when it is a one-possession game late in the game or take ill-advised 3s or fail to move the ball.  This is then compounded by guys who can't make a clutch shot.  Taylor hit some clutch shots 2d half with guys on him, mid and long. In late situations, you have to make the team play some defense and move them around.  We had like 17 secs, and we take a top of the key 3 with no passes (or was that the end of the Cavs game).  D We have no shooters.  I said it in November.  Golder is starting to take and hit some big shots.  Bakari when he drives does good things.  When we are below 30% shooting from 3, analytics tell you to stop shooting 3s.  That 0-9 stretch was killer because we were having success inside.  Kizer, Golder, Bakari all took open 3s and were not close.  That's more the issue, they were not close.  The corner 3 has to be knocked down.  It's the easiest 3.  Kizer finally hit one, and Golder, despite being fouled hit one late.  Positives are there.  This team is playing good defense and plays with intensity to the final whistle.  It will come.  This is not the Horizon Road.  The Road is a difficult place.  You have to learn how to win and then learn how to win on the road.  We are getting closer and have more players coming for 2018-19.  As an example, an ACC team, Wake Forest, has won just 5 conference road games since 2010. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo84

And yes '05, Taylor reminded me of Brandon Wood.  Wood could shoot lights out and score.  We don't have a Wood.  That is the key cog missing -- who do you go to in clutch situations when you need that score?  Obviously, you don't replace an Alec overnight.  But Tevonn's shooting since coming back from mono has been trbl.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

What a weird performance from our team.  Clearly the lack of consistency is the reason for our lack of success.  Having said that consider a few weird things that could be blamed on the refs or on our players or both.  Number 1:  Our stating five shot 1 free throw last night.  When was the last time that happened?  Our "best" player scored 2 points, coupled with 1 rebound and 4 fouls in 23 minutes.  Could be the worst game of his career at Valpo.  The good news is that we didn't miss a single free throw!!!!!  Probably because we only had 5 attempts.  And finally, in spite of the terrible effort, bad shooting, lack of free throw attempts, bad refs and being on the road, we only lost by 5 points.  Given all the issues facing this team, I'll  take it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyEIT777

As badly as I want to blame this game on the refs and the free throw differential, there are a few other reasons I can think of that cost us this game.

1) Only 1 starter scored more than 5 points last night. I get that Tevonn got into early foul trouble last night by some questionable calls, but 2 points from our leading scorer is not going to get it done in the MVC. Same with Smits, he's been a nice offensive weapon the last 4-5 games, we had a clear size advantage inside last night, and he had little impact on this game (again, I get the foul situation).

2) Kiser being our 3rd highest scorer and leading rebounder. This is in no way disrespect to Kiser because the kid works his butt off out there. Its been really impressive to see him go from walk-on to a solid role player on the team. That said, besides Bakari and Golder, no one else wanted to contribute on offense. We cannot expect to win in this league if our 3rd leading scorer is a sophomore that was a  walk on as a freshman. As for the rebounds, still waiting on our bigs to be more aggressive going for boards as well as being out of position to get boards and in turn, giving opponents easy 2nd chance points.

3) Turnovers. I don't know what happened to us in the 2nd half, but there was a stretch where I swear we turned the ball over 5 possessions in a row. I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but it was quite frustrating to watch especially when a bunch of these are unforced turnovers. It seemed like until last like, we were starting to get better at holding onto the ball, but for some reason, we became really careless down the stretch.

I honestly don't know what to think from last night. Part of me thinks we took another step back last night. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic after losing a game I thought we were going to win, but our play in the 2nd half was not good to say the least. I really hope we can win our 3 remaining home games cause I don't see any way we win at Loyola or Drake if we play like we did last night.

SanityLost17

3 point shots attempted through 1st 13 MVC games: Valpo = 274  Opponents = 206. 

The simple answer is that Lottich needs to adjust and make a concerted effort to have his guys drive the lane.  However, I think teams are sagging in and giving us the outside shots knowing full well we are making less than 30% of them in conference play.   

So, yes, Lottich needs to adjust and we do need to drive more.   But at the same time we need to hit 45% of our wide open looks (not the crappy contested shots) so that there are lanes available to drive, otherwise driving the basket doesn't do a lot of good when 4 or 5 guys are waiting for you.   

crusadermoe

I see progress, but boy it is painful.  Bakari keeps us close with his creative drives and strong left hand.   But I hated that last 3 he put  up with a full 10 seconds yet to play.   

ESPN memories:  They need to make a statement against Illinois State and I honestly think that means Golder goes straight down the middle for a massive dunk even if he takes a charge.  Maybe do it two or three times to fire up the crowd!   Speaking of crowds.what a dead arena for the Aces.  Yikes.  Any students?

Can the bigs PLEASE play with energy and force?  Play Hazen and Linssen.  At least they react to the ball and reboud.   Need to send a message and the bigs need to play physical.  That Sorolla missed dunk to pass into the corner for a 3-pointer was sheer genius.  Jumped a full 5 inches and slammed it off the side of the rim.  But is was NOT intimidating. :)

bbtds

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 08, 2018, 10:41:37 AMI see progress, but boy it is painful.  Bakari keeps us close with his creative drives and strong left hand.   But I hated that last 3 he put up with a full 10 seconds yet to play.   

Simply not smart and then the effort at the rebound with the game on the line was pretty lazy.

FWalum

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 08, 2018, 09:42:24 AM3 point shots attempted through 1st 13 MVC games: Valpo = 274  Opponents = 206.

The simple answer is that Lottich needs to adjust and make a concerted effort to have his guys drive the lane.  However, I think teams are sagging in and giving us the outside shots knowing full well we are making less than 30% of them in conference play.   

So, yes, Lottich needs to adjust and we do need to drive more.   But at the same time we need to hit 45% of our wide open looks (not the crappy contested shots) so that there are lanes available to drive, otherwise driving the basket doesn't do a lot of good when 4 or 5 guys are waiting for you.

Let me be very clear, the offense that we are running is designed to drive the lane.  The constant ball screens, in particular the high ball screens made by our 7 footers, are designed to create penetration.  The weave action up top is designed to create driving opportunities. We certainly do very little screening away from the ball and our bigs rarely get the ball in deep where they can simply drop step and score.  This offense was designed for Joe, Bakari and Tevonn to attack the basket. So what you said about the sagging almost pack line defenses that we have seen is correct, Tevonn literally gets hammered almost every time he drives to the basket, just like he did early in the first half when he hit his head on the floor. I am bewildered why he has not gotten more charity opportunities, it is not for lack of trying. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on February 08, 2018, 09:41:03 AM3) Turnovers. I don't know what happened to us in the 2nd half, but there was a stretch where I swear we turned the ball over 5 possessions in a row. I'm probably exaggerating a bit

You're not exaggerating. It was at least 4 TO's in a row.

bigmosmithfan1

There are a lot of issues with this team on many levels, but one thing that drives me nuts is when people try to explain away a massive FT disparity in
a game with "one team was settling for jumpers." What typically actually happens is that said team drives the lane several times, gets hammered with no call, and either consciously or subconsciously takes more outside shots just to get some shots off to adjust to the officiating. That certainly is what happened last night. We had like three straight drives in the lane during our scoring drought alone where there was a TON of contact and no whistle. If you can't get to the line, teams tend to want to try and get something out of their possessions, even if the shots aren't great.

To be sure, you can live with refs going no blood-no foul if they are doing it consistently on both ends. But when our bigs aren't allowed to similarly defend the rim without a whistle, then it's really frustrating. The "settling for jumpers" thing, more often than not, is just a convenient cop-out to avoid criticizing officials having an inconsistent standard of contact from end to end.

IndyEIT777

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on February 08, 2018, 01:20:04 PM
There are a lot of issues with this team on many levels, but one thing that drives me nuts is when people try to explain away a massive FT disparity in
a game with "one team was settling for jumpers." What typically actually happens is that said team drives the lane several times, gets hammered with no call, and either consciously or subconsciously takes more outside shots just to get some shots off to adjust to the officiating. That certainly is what happened last night. We had like three straight drives in the lane during our scoring drought alone where there was a TON of contact and no whistle. If you can't get to the line, teams tend to want to try and get something out of their possessions, even if the shots aren't great.

To be sure, you can live with refs going no blood-no foul if they are doing it consistently on both ends. But when our bigs aren't allowed to similarly defend the rim without a whistle, then it's really frustrating. The "settling for jumpers" thing, more often than not, is just a convenient cop-out to avoid criticizing officials having an inconsistent standard of contact from end to end.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the foul discrepancy as well as what Valpo did on offense to adjust to how the refs were calling the game. To add on to your point, what's just as frustrating is Evansville's offense is primarily focused on taking jump shots. How in the world are there not at least as many fouls called on them when we are trying to drive to the basket and get hacked much of the time doing so?

Having said that, as much as I want to put blame on the refs (which they definitely deserve blame for some of our struggles), Valpo needs to focus on improving the areas that they can control. That includes lack of rebounding, limiting turnovers, and not missing layups/free throws. Valpo desperately needs to improve in all of those areas if we are going to win any remaining games this season.

talksalot

Crowd?   Box Score report:  Attendance: 3425

Watching on TV, I think they were counting toes, not people...I didn't hear a student section... that was a good example of playing in a big, beautiful, 75% empty arena.  I think that crowd was over stated as much as the SIU crowd was under-stated last Saturday...

Billy Co

Quote from: talksalot on February 08, 2018, 02:55:10 PM
I think that crowd was over stated as much as the SIU crowd was under-stated last Saturday...

Crowds are never understated.

I was pretty unimpressed with the Evansville crowd but I know we shouldn't be ones to talk about crowd size. The Ford Center is really nice and big but it's not on their campus and it really hurts the atmosphere. The crowd was really far away from the court. Evansville has a sizable fan base but they weren't there last night. I can't blame them. A last place Valpo team isn't a great draw on a Wednesday night.

FWalum

Evansville has not had an arena on campus since 1956.  Previously they played at Robert Stadium and, at least during the time I was on the Parent's advisory board during the Steve Merfeld coaching era, their average attendance was around 6,500 per game with some games over 9,000.  Roberts was specifically designed for basketball and had seating for up to 11,600 after the 1990 renovation. It really was a great basketball venue when I went to some games during that 2002-2006 time span.