• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bobby Capobianco

Started by BigDWSU, July 03, 2011, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDWSU

Heard a rumor about IU transfer Bobby Capobianco heading to Valpo.  Anyone know if there is any truth to it?

valpopal

Yes, that is what I have heard from a number of sources. Also, posted on what appears to be his twitter account: "Going to Valpo. Pumped." However, as always, I will wait for official word.

sectionee

Here is an article on Capobianco, http://kentsterling.com/2011/05/20/iu-basketball-math-getting-clearer-as-bobby-capobianco-leaves/

Here are some stats from his two years at IU.  http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/indiana/bobby-capobianco

He is a big kid 6'9'' but just wasn't getting the minutes it looks like.  I suppose he would have to sit a year before being eligible, which is probably a good thing since we have so many new faces already.

vuweathernerd

this could be another good pickup inside. for once maybe we won't have to worry much about our inside presence. his ft shooting needs work, but i like his 48% fg.

sectionee

Did the story say he is on scholarship for 3 years, when he only has 2 years of eligibility to play?  How many guys on the team are on scholarship now? 

vu72

Here is the ESPN ranking:  89!  Seems as if Bryce might be able to do some recruiting!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/54840
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

Quote from: sectionee on July 03, 2011, 01:50:16 PM
Did the story say he is on scholarship for 3 years, when he only has 2 years of eligibility to play?  How many guys on the team are on scholarship now? 

From the story:
"He's confident those numbers will improve at Valparaiso, where he will be on scholarship for three years while continuing his pursuit of a degree in sports communication broadcast."

vuweathernerd

6-9, 245 is a pretty solid frame

cmack

A perimeter shooting post player who can't make free throws.  Sounds like a perfect fit for Valpo!!!   :thumbsup:

zvillehaze

Did the story say he is on scholarship for 3 years, when he only has 2 years of eligibility to play?  How many guys on the team are on scholarship now?  

I count 8 scholarship guys returning plus 5 new guys (Boggs, Edwards, Jakolis, Bogan and Capobianco).  That's the max, so some other move will be needed if Fernandez is added.

valpopal

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but it appears Capobianco was an Academic All-Big Ten honoree. Therefore, it seems we have another quality recruit in the classroom as well.

hoopfan22

Quote from: zvillehaze on July 03, 2011, 03:25:36 PM

I count 8 scholarship guys returning plus 5 new guys (Boggs, Edwards, Jakolis, Bogan and Capobianco).  That's the max, so some other move will be needed if Fernandez is added.
Bingo.Ironic that in order for an IU transfer to get a scholarship here, someone from VU has to get "Creaned".

sectionee

I have a buddy that follows IU real closely.  Here is what he had to say about Capo:
Yeah, I still follow IU and he's already put in his paperwork to transfer from IU. I thought he might go to a MAC school since he's from Ohio originally but maybe not. He's pretty much a big body (6-8, 240'ish) to fill the paint. He doesn't do much on offense but at one point he had a 10-12 foot jumper that he liked to take a lot, unfortunately he didn't make it very often. He was a below average rebounder in the B10 and his slow footwork put him into foul trouble pretty much as soon as he stepped foot into the game. I think when he came out of HS he might have been a top-100 rated recruit but I'm not 100% certain. He's a good kid, a good person and seemingly a good student so don't worry about him being a knucklehead.

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/07/welcome-bobby-campobianco.html

lowposter

The numbers dont quite add up either....that seems to put us at the limit for scholarships, with the Fernandez kid still on the bubble (awaiting approval).

Could it be that Fernandez was not approved?  Or does that move someone off the team?  Or is the article incorrect (3 years scholarship)? 

Sounds like a solid kid, lets hope he can bang a little for us. 
lowposter

valpopal

Quote from: lowposter on July 04, 2011, 06:11:48 AM
The numbers dont quite add up either....that seems to put us at the limit for scholarships, with the Fernandez kid still on the bubble (awaiting approval).

Could it be that Fernandez was not approved?  Or does that move someone off the team?  Or is the article incorrect (3 years scholarship)? 

Sounds like a solid kid, lets hope he can bang a little for us. 
lowposter

Unless the information I received from someone close to Fernandez is incorrect, my understanding is that he has been approved.

RS

Bogan, Witt, Broekhoff, Boggs, Buggs, Edwards, Kenney, Van Wijk, Capobianco, Harris, Kurth, Vucic, Jakolis, and Fernandez (if he is still coming?) plus Shelton our lone walk on. Thats 14 scholarship players. Some one would seem to have to leave or pay their own way. Any info on someone leaving?

Crusader03

Vashil's last Twitter update was "praying to God this thing come through, will be at school tomorrow. :)" on June 28.  Anyone have any updates on whether he was able to be admitted and if he is eligible?  Obviously I am speculating here, but that post sure sounds like he is/wasn't sure if everything would come together at VU.  His Facebook does list him as  VU student, though, so what do I know?

valpopal

Quote from: Crusader03 on July 04, 2011, 01:13:48 PM
Vashil's last Twitter update was "praying to God this thing come through, will be at school tomorrow. :)" on June 28.  Anyone have any updates on whether he was able to be admitted and if he is eligible?  Obviously I am speculating here, but that post sure sounds like he is/wasn't sure if everything would come together at VU.  His Facebook does list him as  VU student, though, so what do I know?

I am told Vashil has been admitted to summer school and is living in Valpo. He has been seen around campus. I have been informed he believes he has been approved and is awaiting completion of paperwork or other formalities (perhaps also regarding scholarship space) before an announcement can be made about his eligibility by the university.

Valpo89

Quote from: lowposter on July 04, 2011, 06:11:48 AM
Or is the article incorrect (3 years scholarship)? 
lowposter
The article is correct, unless what came out of Bobby's mouth was not true. Scholarship for three years, eligible for two years.

sectionee

Quote from: RS on July 04, 2011, 12:03:32 PM
Bogan, Witt, Broekhoff, Boggs, Buggs, Edwards, Kenney, Van Wijk, Capobianco, Harris, Kurth, Vucic, Jakolis, and Fernandez (if he is still coming?) plus Shelton our lone walk on. Thats 14 scholarship players. Some one would seem to have to leave or pay their own way. Any info on someone leaving?
I know nothing, but I do know if it were up to me who I would pick.  Anyways, I'm sure it will all be sorted out in the next day or two.

sectionee

A bit more on Bobby.  From what I'm told from an avid IU fan is that Bobby is a hustle player.  He hasn't much of a jumper and isn't very fast up and down the court.  He also said Capo can have a bit a weight problem if he isn't careful and that might be something to watch as he is forced to sit out this next season. 
From what I'm hearing, I'm liking this less and less.  Hopefully he can find new life here at Valpo and turn this doubter into an believer. 

hoopfan22

It's Witt man. He's gone. I know i can't be the ONLY one getting info, or am i the only one willing to talk about it here.

valpofan56

This guy sounds like a shorter version of Calum McLeod to me. Needless to say, I'm far from excited.

Back to our message board theme from two years ago . . . "I hope I'm wrong . . . "