• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bobby Capobianco

Started by BigDWSU, July 03, 2011, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: valpofan56 on July 05, 2011, 08:36:36 AM
This guy sounds like a shorter version of Calum McLeod to me. Needless to say, I'm far from excited.

Back to our message board theme from two years ago . . . "I hope I'm wrong . . . "

Do you really think Bryce would take "a shorter version of Calum McLeod"??  The Indiana fans called Bobby the "vanilla gorilla".  A true banger who can hit the three? Come on guys. He will be a very good addition.

As for Cam leaving, it would surprise me.  He is a senior and nearing his degree. If he does then the entire team would be in place for the next two years as Cam is the only senior.  I was thinking it might be a point guard transferring.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 05, 2011, 12:28:46 AM
It's Witt man. He's gone. I know i can't be the ONLY one getting info, or am i the only one willing to talk about it here.
Whether you are wrong or right, there are some things that need to be left alone in fairness to the individual, until the university decides to release it.  As mentioned before, sometimes some of us know things that we cannot disclose until the right time, and especially when it concerns a young mans future.

sectionee

Very well put rlh...as I was coming home from the ARC this morning (swim lessons with the boys) I was trying to think of how to put what you just said into words. 

IndyValpo

Quote from: sectionee on July 04, 2011, 11:50:32 PM
A bit more on Bobby.  From what I'm told from an avid IU fan is that Bobby is a hustle player.  He hasn't much of a jumper and isn't very fast up and down the court.  He also said Capo can have a bit a weight problem if he isn't careful and that might be something to watch as he is forced to sit out this next season. 
From what I'm hearing, I'm liking this less and less.  Hopefully he can find new life here at Valpo and turn this doubter into an believer. 

Since most avid IU fans are sitting around waiting for Bob Knight to return and actually think he might, I put zero credence in most everything that is said.  He need big guys, this one has some experience at the Big Ten level and in my mind is worth the risk.

valpopal

Quote from: rlh on July 05, 2011, 10:07:30 AM
Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 05, 2011, 12:28:46 AM
It's Witt man. He's gone. I know i can't be the ONLY one getting info, or am i the only one willing to talk about it here.
Whether you are wrong or right, there are some things that need to be left alone in fairness to the individual, until the university decides to release it.  As mentioned before, sometimes some of us know things that we cannot disclose until the right time, and especially when it concerns a young mans future.

Good point. I think there is a big difference between speculating on what players might be recruited to the program and commenting upon the future of current players who (unlike Brandon Wood, for example) have not spoken publicly about possible changes in their future connection to the program.

sectionee

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 05, 2011, 11:37:25 AM
Quote from: sectionee on July 04, 2011, 11:50:32 PM
A bit more on Bobby.  From what I'm told from an avid IU fan is that Bobby is a hustle player.  He hasn't much of a jumper and isn't very fast up and down the court.  He also said Capo can have a bit a weight problem if he isn't careful and that might be something to watch as he is forced to sit out this next season. 
From what I'm hearing, I'm liking this less and less.  Hopefully he can find new life here at Valpo and turn this doubter into an believer. 

Since most avid IU fans are sitting around waiting for Bob Knight to return and actually think he might, I put zero credence in most everything that is said.  He need big guys, this one has some experience at the Big Ten level and in my mind is worth the risk.
I can tell you this is not the case with this individual.  He is definitely able to keep personal opinions out of his diagnosis of a player.  Hopefully Capo can be the player we all hope he can be at Valpo.

hoopfan22

Rlh I understand, but its out there. Just thought we could discuss it now. The university hasn't released Bobby C's transfer and we're talking about that now. But i do understand where you're coming from.

rlh

Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 05, 2011, 12:52:30 PM
Rlh I understand, but its out there. Just thought we could discuss it now. The university hasn't released Bobby C's transfer and we're talking about that now. But i do understand where you're coming from.
The difference is both IU and Capo (on his Facebook account) have publically said this is happening.  There is a difference....If that happens with one of our current players, then I wouldn't have a problem with discussing that either.  Just so you know, I too have heard rumors, about players and coaches, but until confirmed can't say anything.  I'm glad you understand

vu72

I think some of the nay sayers need to watch a video clip which I just found.  I think Bobby could be just what we need!

Commit of the Day: Bobby Capobianco (11/10/08)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Man I hope you are right!  He was dominating those high school kids that he was head and shoulders bigger then.  Hopefully a new location will breath some new life into his college career and we will have a solid player in Capo.

vu72

Quote from: sectionee on July 12, 2011, 10:20:06 AM
Man I hope you are right!  He was dominating those high school kids that he was head and shoulders bigger then.  Hopefully a new location will breath some new life into his college career and we will have a solid player in Capo.

Very funny.  I think the bigger point is his ability to move and hit jump shots with range. He doesn't look like your typical 6'9" 245 lbs plodder.

zvillehaze

Here are some photos from his time at IU.  http://photos.indystar.com/galleries/12992-bobby-capobianco-leaving-iu-men-s-basketball-program

Too bad he has to sit a year ... he could really help.  On the bright side, he may be even better after sitting a year.

wh

Bobby reminds me a lot of Aaron Pogue - height, bulk, similar game.  If he gives us 2 years of what Pogue gave CSU last year, I would be very satisfied.

Pogue 2010-11 stats: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/cleveland-state/aaron-pogue

vu72

Here is a nice article on Bobby and how he ended up at Indiana.  Remember, ESPN had him ranked an 89 and the number 36 power forward in his class.

http://dothemod.indy.com/articles/high-school-boys-basketball/thread/iu-s-capobianco-becomes-adopted-hoosier

agibson

The link doesn't work for me.

"We're sorry, but something went wrong.

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly."

Maybe that's true - but often that sort of message indicates a fatal/permanent problem.

Does it work for anyone else?

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on July 27, 2011, 07:11:38 AM
The link doesn't work for me.

"We're sorry, but something went wrong.

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly."

Maybe that's true - but often that sort of message indicates a fatal/permanent problem.

Does it work for anyone else?

Works for me.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpo89

I've heard one report that Bobby is "dominating" during open gym at VU.

valpotx

I have to say that one of the most fun things of having attended a smaller mid-major school was these open gym sessions always talked about.  I remember playing against Milo Stovall, Raitis Grafs, Kikas Gomes, Lubos Barton, Antti Nikkila, etc during my undergrad days, and then watching them take on some of the big boys a few months later.  That definitely does not happen at a larger school.

My worst experience was when I was the tallest person on my team one session, and Phil Wille decided to play on the other team.  Well, I am only 5'11"-6'0" so it did not go well  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

I ran into Milo and Chris Artis this past weekend. 

Milo looks the same, hasnt put on any weight at all.  I see Chris from time to time, what a great young man.

lowposter

vu72

It is interesting to me that it took this long to officially announce Capobianco and Carpenter, particularly Carpenter.  In any event, this finalizes the team for the next two years!

After playing Ryan at the 4 at 6'6" and Cory at the 5 at maybe 6'7" it will be very interesting to possibily see a 7 footer, a 6'11" guy and a/or a 6'9"260 lber playing the front line.  That doesn't even count Kevin or Richie.  Clearly we have moved from undersized to big when you think about the possibility of playing a guy like Ryan at the 2.  Obviously size can also slow you down but we will provide some interesting matchups the next few years.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on September 02, 2011, 08:58:45 AM
It is interesting to me that it took this long to officially announce Capobianco and Carpenter, particularly Carpenter.  In any event, this finalizes the team for the next two years!

This is an important point. There are no seniors among scholarship players on this year's team; therefore, unless something unforeseen happens, this is the team that will play together for the next two years. It will take a while for the many new players to work as a team this year. But no matter how well they do this year, next year (when Capobianco is eligible) should be where they reach their full potential as a unit.

Let's hope this is a group that stays healthy, improves with time, and learns to blend well, a team we will enjoy watching for the next couple of seasons.

wh

From the article:

Drew also announced Thursday that Griffyn Carpenter has joined the Valpo men's basketball program as a walk-on.  Carpenter comes to Valpo from Triton [Ind.] H.S., where he led the Trojans as a senior with 19.1 points per game while shooting 57% from the floor.  He received Honorable Mention All-State honors from the IBCA as well, as he helped the Trojans to the Class A IHSAA title game

I know it was only 1A or whatever, but a perimeter high school player shooting 57% is very impressive.  Heck, most high school guards couldn't shoot 57% if they were left unguarded.  I don't think you ever count anyone out (not that anyone is), even a walk-on.  One of my all-time favorite Crusaders is Dwayne Toatley, who went from walk-on to starter.  You never know...he may really blossom. 

valpotx

I didn't know Toatley was originally a walk-on!  His last two years were my FR and SO years, and I just figured he was always someone who played a lot (thus a scholarship player).

Maybe Griffyn can do that, or even give Andrew Ferry contributions every few games.
"Don't mess with Texas"