• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Thoughts? What type of player do you think we should add with the final 2 scholarships?

I like the idea of a grad-transfer shooting guard and a high ceiling red-shirt transfer. Maybe I would prefer a grad-transfer PF depending on the amount of progress and development Mileek makes over the course of this offseason. It sounds like Mileek has really worked on his physique and got stronger, which is good to hear. More importantly I'd like the game to slow down for Mileek. His future is bright. If the coaches think he's going to take a big step forward and be more dependable then I'd I might go grad-transfer SG over PF but tbh both would be nice.

1314, suggested Dion Wiley. He'd be a nice pickup but I'm sure a lot of teams are vying for his services.

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/999813013204062213

VUGrad1314

I really hope this doesn't mean anything for us and JFL but the situation bears watching:

https://twitter.com/insidenu/status/1000137443146858497

The saving grace here is that it only leaves 1PG on the roster so they'll probably go for another one but this is a curious move. Why kick aside a longstanding commit at a position of need? Are they going to go after the lone remaining 5 star?

humbleopinion

I presume that his grades came out and he is not eligible.
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

I just can't see JFL leaving at this point.  Based on all the messages that folks have posted throughout his process, he seems like a guy that would commit to a program, and not just an assistant coach.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Yeah wouldn't surprise me if they go for a grad transfer given that they only have one on the roster. I'd say Isabell (Drexel) or Patterson (LSU) would probably be targets for Northwestern.

With KC Hankton taking a rather long time to make a decision does anyone think he'll take a prep school year and look for better opportunities in 2019?

VUOR63

Reports say he's looking to go to Kentucky so likely Valpo doesn't have a shot at Reid Travis from Stanford but we should send him correspondence confirming that we're interested if he his!

VUGrad1314

With the numbers he put up in the Pac 12 and the  leadership he'll provide as a grad transfer  I'd suspect he's got his pictures of P5 schools\national title contenders to choose from.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 26, 2018, 03:30:11 AM
I really hope this doesn't mean anything for us and JFL but the situation bears watching:

The saving grace here is that it only leaves 1PG on the roster so they'll probably go for another one but this is a curious move. Why kick aside a longstanding commit at a position of need? Are they going to go after the lone remaining 5 star?

Northwestern is an elite academic institution.  It has some of the highest academic entrance requirements and lowest acceptance rates in the nation.  They may cut their prospective student athletes a little slack, but I would guess very little.  They still have to compete for grades in an academic environment that caters to some the smartest, most motivated students in the country. 

For frame of reference, look at a comparison of Northwestern and Valpo SAT scores and percent of applicants admitted.  The difference is striking, to say the least...

% of applicants accepted: NWU 9%   Valpo 84%

Avg. SAT Scores: NWU Math 720-790   Valpo 530-580

NWU Reading/Writing 720-790   Valpo 530-580

ACT Scores: NWU 32-34   Valpo 23-26

VU2014

It might not be grades because he hasn't taken a single class at NU yet. To be honest I don't really care because I don't think he's headed our direction anyways. I wish the young man well.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on May 30, 2018, 03:00:03 PM
It might not be grades because he hasn't taken a single class at NU yet. To be honest I don't really care because I don't think he's headed our direction anyways. I wish the young man well.

Most universities that I know about make final approval for admission contingent on meeting minimum academic requirements in the applicant's final HS semester. It wouldn't take much slippage for a school like Northwestern to pull the plug.  Obviously I don't know if that applies here, but the timing of the announcement certainly fits.  In any event, my point was not so much about this young man; it was more in response to '1314's comment "I really hope this doesn't mean anything for us and JFL but the situation bears watching."  When it comes to an Ivy League-equivalent university like Northwestern, there's a lot more to the equation than playing hypothetical musical chairs with basketball vacancies.  Most student athletes would never qualify academically to play at Northwestern.  That's not a knock on student athletes; it's just reality at an institution with an 8% acceptance rate.   

VULB#62

Incredible that NU can compete in the B1G with those standards. But Stanford does pretty well in the PAC12 as well.

BTW, our 84% acceptance rate is probably the biggest hindrance to VU being rated more highly on a national scale, despite our strong academics.

With that in mind, wouldn't a spike in addmission applications occur if we, somehow, got great national recognition? By having a bigger applicant pool and being more selective, we could shrink that %age and come closer to what is termed a "selective" institution. I wonder how we'd be able to do that? Oh, how about making national headlines with our men's BB program?  Sounds like a great target for investment to ensure that future to me.

VUGrad1314

I wonder if perhaps we'll hear something about Hartfield soon. Nevada was one of the schools after him and I bet have was interested  but with everyone coming back Nevada is now over the scholarship limit meaning he likely won't end up there. I think we have a good chance of getting him. Here's the last list of suitors I've seen:

https://twitter.com/sonnyjohnson32/status/996763300988899330

bbtds

Quote from: wh on May 30, 2018, 02:23:38 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 26, 2018, 03:30:11 AM

Northwestern is an elite academic institution.  It has some of the highest academic entrance requirements and lowest acceptance rates in the nation.  They may cut their prospective student athletes a little slack, but I would guess very little.  They still have to compete for grades in an academic environment that caters to some the smartest, most motivated students in the country. 

For frame of reference, look at a comparison of Northwestern and Valpo SAT scores and percent of applicants admitted.  The difference is striking, to say the least...

% of applicants accepted: NWU 9%   Valpo 84%

Avg. SAT Scores: NWU Math 720-790   Valpo 530-580

NWU Reading/Writing 720-790   Valpo 530-580

ACT Scores: NWU 32-34   Valpo 23-26

Joe Burton......................................Northwesterm...............................................Oh........NEVER MIND!

VUGrad1314

Is it really necessary to take a shot at Burton like that? For the record, Northwestern has already filled that scholarship with another 2018 PG.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 31, 2018, 12:40:26 AM
Is it really necessary to take a shot at Burton like that? For the record, Northwestern has already filled that scholarship with another 2018 PG.

Nah not necessary but the thought process follows a unique route. Interesting!

What exactly did Joe Burton do for Valpo that helped the MBB program so much. He was well liked by his teammates, he helped the MBB program win some less important non-conf games that he himself made unimportant by failing those loyal teammates by not being able to stay in school. Joe Burton did no more for Valpo than Tony Falu. You wish them luck in future endeavors and I'm not saying they are bad citizens but they both had fatal flaws that kept them from completing the vision that the coaches had for them at Valpo.

FieldGoodie05

KC Hankton to Saint Louis U...

VUGrad1314

I bet SLU's  position in the A10 helped them immensely here given his being from Charlotte. So many games much closer to home.

FieldGoodie05

Hoping Coach has some Forwards in mind.  Looking at our Verbal Commits page and 2018/2019/2020 are all SG or PG offers.

VUGrad1314

That's my thought too. I get that guard play often drives the bus but there are five positions on a basketball team  that must be capably staffed. Rebounding matters too. I'm at the point of saying get Hartfield (or Wiley if you want a grad transfer) and Faulds and call it an offseason. I don't want Lottich to be so patient that he gets caught looking at strike three and is sent to the bench with nothing.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 31, 2018, 09:36:09 PMI don't want Lottich to be so patient that he gets caught looking at strike three and is sent to the bench with nothing.

Not saying you are wrong but that type of thinking may have led Butler towards settling for Nze. Was their choice correct?

EddieCabot

Quote from: justducky on May 31, 2018, 10:09:37 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 31, 2018, 09:36:09 PMI don't want Lottich to be so patient that he gets caught looking at strike three and is sent to the bench with nothing.

Not saying you are wrong but that type of thinking may have led Butler towards settling for Nze. Was their choice correct?

We haven't seen it under Lottich, but the Drew's would often add players late from JUCO's or overseas.  If they worked out, great.  If not, they disappeared pretty quickly. 

The current roster is deep enough and talented enough to compete next season ... I don't see the need to add players unless they can help the program long-term.  If that doesn't happen, then turn the focus to recruiting for the 2019 class.

As I've stated before, it's difficult to recruit when your roster is filled with talented players who are all underclassmen.  Kids today want to play right away, and that opportunity doesn't exist with Valpo's current roster.

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 31, 2018, 10:21:17 PM

We haven't seen it under Lottich, but the Drew's would often add players late from JUCO's or overseas.  If they worked out, great.  If not, they disappeared pretty quickly. 

The current roster is deep enough and talented enough to compete next season ... I don't see the need to add players unless they can help the program long-term.  If that doesn't happen, then turn the focus to recruiting for the 2019 class.

As I've stated before, it's difficult to recruit when your roster is filled with talented players who are all underclassmen.  Kids today want to play right away, and that opportunity doesn't exist with Valpo's current roster.

Actually, Lottich recruit Marty Linssen fits your description to a tee.  He came on-board late in the 2017 recruiting season (May), played 1 season, and moved on.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on June 01, 2018, 09:53:59 AM
Quote from: EddieCabot on May 31, 2018, 10:21:17 PM

Actually, Lottich recruit Marty Linssen fits your description to a tee.  He came on-board late in the 2017 recruiting season (May), played 1 season, and moved on.

Historically, has it been worth it to sign a player in June/July for the upcoming season?

Maybe there is a reason that (2018/19 eligible) players are still on the board at this juncture?  Thinking coach is looking past 2018/19 eligible talent at this time.

VUGrad1314

Even on the transfer market?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 01, 2018, 10:49:11 AM
Even on the transfer market?

Bakari & Middleton were June transfers and Burton was late August. You can find some gems during the summer.